The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What the Fox Bat?? Decals and missiles

GazzaS

Thank you for the enthusiasm.

Be advised,  there is a  guest commentator who will appear from time to time.

xKUtwT.jpg

Cockpit is pretty simple.  Q-tip supplied for size comparison.

pZnBT2.jpg

No seat belts or pilot supplied.  I stained the seats to show wear, but it's not easy to see under the bleaching power of my benchtop light.

T70iTw.jpg

When I was using online pictures to help paint the cockpit, it became readily apparent that there were multiple cockpit configurations.  It says on box:  'Kit faithfully represents prototype'.  In the end I got tired of trying to get the side panels perfect.  The IP is made from 7 decals.  Most are in groupings of three.

Now a short message from our guest commentator:

mabUtW.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 6

2 hours ago, GusMac said:

Cockpit looks great. Given how small the canopy is I'm not sure how much will be seen anyway.

Thank you! 

You're right, mate.  I'm not sure that the canopy is any larger than the average WWII fighter's canopy.  I wonder if the Soviet's were up to the point where they could launch missiles at an unseen enemy 14 miles away like a lot of US stuff was.

Gaz

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

(...)
You're right, mate.  I'm not sure that the canopy is any larger than the average WWII fighter's canopy.  I wonder if the Soviet's were up to the point where they could launch missiles at an unseen enemy 14 miles away like a lot of US stuff was.
(...)

With a mix of R-40RD, R-40TD and R-60M missiles, a MiG-25PD/PDS can shoot down almost everything within ranges between 250 and 40.000+ metres. 
For example F/A-18 sized targets - head-on from a distance of, let's say, 14.6 miles. 

Like many of its western contemporaries, e.g. F-106A, Lightning F.2/F.6/F.3 et al, the MiG-25 was conceived to intercept and destroy bomber-sized targets beyond visual range within a well-established GCI radar station network in the shortest possible time. Fuselages with smallish cockpits were optimised for speed. Ergonomics were only of secondary importance. 

FtVS5kV.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Manlier than Putin? 
Angela Merkel maybe...

I doubt it.  When she went though customs on a recent visit to Greece, and they asked her "occupation?" she said:  "Nein, just visiting"

Sorry...  couldn't resist.

Gaz

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...