The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What the Fox Bat?? Decals and missiles

GazzaS

Anyhow....

Apologies to those who were expecting a speedy and interesting build.  Here are some pics of current progress:

OVnHAx.jpg

Not a very good shot of the seat.  My wash came out too dark.  Nice belt detail on the resin seat.

H0N64f.jpg

Decals make for a nice IP.  Even with great references, there is only so much that can be expected from my hands.

mWz7sp.jpg

Nose gear bay.  Not much detail for painting, and I'm not going to add detail in this scale.

MfVXBO.jpg

Ljgi9y.jpg

Intakes and wheel wells for the MLG.  Color callouts are "Steel".

I don't really like modular construction.  I find it easy for sub assemblies to be out of shape due, and then cause trouble later.   At any rate, the vanes between the intake and the fuselage proved difficult to make a nice easy fit.  So, I trimmed them and have it drying under tape for compression.

53ajmy.jpg

iLNCI1.jpg

IbsUAH.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 5

More work...

uokbGn.jpg

n3bO0A.jpg

pnSM16.jpg

72a6jl.jpg

Qr7MJL.jpg

More research required, obviously.  Hopefully Ivan will come down from the Kiwi Alps soon.

Спасибо за внимание!

Gaz

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

mig-25-08.JPGmig-25-05.JPG

Looks so much sexier in 1/1 scale photos.  In this (1/48) scale is more like dinosaur bones you see in a rebuilt skeleton at the museum.  No point in searching for perfection. 

It's modular construction has thrown a few curve balls necessitating the use of the the iron hand and the plastic clamp.  So far I have only had to remove interior plastic to get the parts to fit.

• Like 4

Does anyone know about this blister?  It's optional in the kit, but I don't know much about it.

FCxu56.jpg

IN the kit directions, it shows for the Iranian and Iraqi machines, but not the Soviet.

Thanks!

Gaz

• Like 2

The blister houses the fwd hemisphere antenna of the SPO-15LM "Beryoza" radar homing and warning system.

Unlike 1983-manufactured Iraqi, Libyan and Syrian PDs, being equipped with the SPO-15LE export variant, Soviet/Russian and Ukrainian PD/PDS models did not field the Beryoza system. You'd only find them on late*  and refurbished RB-series and BM aircraft.

*a/c built after 1981

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

(...) Ok comrades....   question time.  Are these NMF parts representative of the type? (...)

It depends...  
The rear fuselage right in front of the afterburner nozzles usually remained unpainted.

Which marking option are you going to build? This one?

5gGk5dT.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

It depends...  
The rear fuselage right in front of the afterburner nozzles usually remained unpainted.

Which marking option are you going to build? This one?

5gGk5dT.jpg

Thanks, Ivan!

Possibly.  Or the other Soviet aircraft.  Not the Iranian or Iraqi, though.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, "bort 56" is a PDS.
PDS a/c were converted from earlier MiG-25P airframes, hence featuring the early "pointed" parabrake fairing. The latter is not included in the kit. 

Early parabrake housing:
8ODkmMH.jpg

Parabrake housing as found on MiG-25PD aircraft:
(MiG-25PDs were new-built a/c)
4zopKJs.jpg

Another particularity of 146th GIAP MiG-25PDS was the club-shaped wingtip anti-flutter balance weight. Also, not included.

JH1V0yW.jpg

• Like 3

NMF rear fuselage:
You can go with the ICM painting guide. Sorta characteristic for late PD/PDS models.

Variation #1:
Overall grey topcoat save for the areas immediately adjacent to the afterburner nozzles.

4lOu580.jpg

vkbxrNV.jpg

Variaton #2:
Unpainted lower fuselage engine access covers.
(Individual aircraft had the paint also stripped off the ventral fins)

gwaXUhy.jpg

XNZZebG.jpg

Variation #3:
Commonly found on late airframes.

x0QrU5I.jpg

XNZZebG.jpg

HTH

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

NMF rear fuselage:
You can go with the ICM painting guide. Sorta characteristic for late PD/PDS models.

Ivan,

I like those three variations as they present some foiling opportunities.  If I can find a well-documented PD version I might try that as I don't feel like I'll be doing bort 56.  My biggest problem is lack of knowledge.  For instance...this photo:

26220147_225436157999873_811297470379669

This image shows 3 sets of vanes.  Two green and one burnt metal.  The kit only comes with two.  one inner in green, then the outer one color marked as "titanium gold".  To make things more interesting, a joint between two sets of the outer vane parts has a seam going down the center of a vane.

So....  Is it different engine, or a kit deficiency?

RE:  HTH.  I'd be lost without your help regarding Soviet aircraft.

Gaz

• Like 2