The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Build BEAUFIGHTER they said, it's FUN they said :)

6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Sterling silver in action :)

Needless to say that the hub detail is molded off-centre , so that's why. There will be more work coming into the openings, but first I need to find some decent pics.

IMG_0296.JPG.24d0a722aae388246acb5f0c1ac661b2.JPGIMG_0297.jpg.b6c7a24d4054a5499354b925ddd73016.jpg

Are you shitting me???  I know far too little.

Speechless!

• Like 6

• Administrators

Gaz, the moment Martin break out the silver soldering equipment, mine eyes glaze over. He just lost me. I’m on my way to stomp on my Models and burn my stash. I’m obviously unworthy. :/

I think he moulds his own tires and raises the cattle for the leather for his Mustang as well.  He also singlehandedly plows snow from every street in Calgary at exactly the same time henplugs holes in Hoover Dam and rescues cats from trees, and accomplishes all at exactly the same time using nothing more than chewed bubble gum, a shoelace, and a broken flip phone.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

It's not me it was my wonderful wife, she had it soldered in seconds, I did the easy part....quality control LOL

...was thinning the prop blades and scribing the spinners, cutting the back plates, more tomorrow 

IMG_0305.jpg.080e59f782416fe83ba77c6804646018.jpg

• Like 6

Sorry, not meaning to derail the thread but I'm curious about that fairing in front of the observers canopy, does it perhaps house a defroster for the canopy ? It appears to be hollow and I don't see any other purpose for it. Great work so far Martin, keep em coming !

• Like 5

On 3/7/2019 at 6:45 AM, Old Dog said:

Sorry, not meaning to derail the thread but I'm curious about that fairing in front of the observers canopy, does it perhaps house a defroster for the canopy ? It appears to be hollow and I don't see any other purpose for it. Great work so far Martin, keep em coming !

No need to be sorry at all, thank you for stopping by . Honestly I spend fair amount of time browsing over schematics, electrical system, radar etc. and wasn't able to figure this one out. It is definitely hollow piece and hides something inside, antenna  would be my first guess, but that doesn't go together with the schematic of electrical installation.

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Martin

Agree with the Guys, yikes ... incredible

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter, you are way too kind.

I finished the backplates on the propellers,  then thinned the tips some more. Adjusted the tips of the spinners that were too pointy and coated the whole thing in NATO black, which is actually very dark grey. Because as we all know there is no pure black in the real world. :)

Rivets and placards might follow, not sure yet.

IMG_0330.thumb.jpg.486bd46cb1c201b08731fd215619a5e5.jpg

• Like 5

:), thank you Carl, just wait for the swearing part,,,,, undercarriage , wing roots etc.  things can still get pretty dark :)

Tonight I spend 2 .5 hours studying drawings ( mostly garbage), photographs and 20 minutes over the plastic.  Brutal ratio . For some reason every one of my builds is like this and I don't get guys who are able to say, hey this kit took exactly 25 hours from start to end.

Am I weird or what?............ ( rhetorical question / no need to answer )

some preliminary scratches 

IMG_0331.thumb.jpg.88abd66aaebc5e8095258c35aadc051d.jpg

• Like 11

Nice work so far Martin. Be aware though that the cannon are mounted asymmetrically - due to the breeches not being handed.

It's subtle and not by much, but is there. This is the best photo I can find without having access to a real Beau.

33477369318_42c2be1425_b.jpg

• Like 5

There was only one way how to place guns in proper position. Well, close to the proper position. I am not going to worry about the wrong fuselage depth and profile as long as it looks like ..hm.. reasonably digestible ? :)IMG_0341.jpg.35effd3127350f46addf8ef39f7d5eca.jpg

• Like 5

Tubeway Army? I like the way you want to represent the cannon tubes. I did it the easy way and drilled them out and capping the inside with tubing slit horizontally to avoid the see through look. Great work.

Cees

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

There was only one way how to place guns in proper position. Well, close to the proper position. I am not going to worry about the wrong fuselage depth and profile as long as it looks like ..hm.. reasonably digestible ? :)IMG_0341.jpg.35effd3127350f46addf8ef39f7d5eca.jpg

Having done similar with a Hunter, one small tip I can offer is to ensure the nose contours remain well defined.

I used auminiumi tubing on mine, and was pleased at getting not only perfectly shaped gun troughs, but a nice flange effect from the tube's thickness itself.

Unfortunately, while the troughs looked great, I'd abraded and polished away too much nose which gave the poor old normally pugnacious looking Hunter's nose a decidedly skinny, receeding chinned look. For the next one, I scribed lines at the trough edges, and superglued in some phone wire with the chrome burned off and drawn through a pad of wire wool, so it was flush where the surface needed to be. Once you're sanding and the bright copper makes an appearance through the filler, you know to hang back on further heavy sanding and keep the nose shape true.

• Like 1