The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators

Update today.

Was at a concert this afternoon, then had music practice until 1900, so no building today.

But, quickly assembled a couple engine mounts and hopefully tomorrow after Church I’ll close up the fuselage.

Decals will be here next week and I’m not even close to being ready....

054DD63D-9B79-4AE6-AE4D-4662FDEEC858.jpeg

• Like 8

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Martinnfb said:

I see the radar pod in the background , your argument is invalid LOL . I like those engines, but away about the pod? :)

That’s for a squirrel, Martin. Not a threat until the Lanc’s done. That pod’s way too big for the Lanc.

• Like 3

• Administrators

So, as expected, it’s looking like HK probably does have a Mk. X planned soon enough.  We have a turret hole plug so we’ll have a US built Martin electric turret, and,.. this little goody, part M21, not noticed by me until now. Matter of face, Mike Swinburne 3D printed four of them for me for this and future planned Mk. X builds.

CA85DFB3-18E2-4BAA-A38B-179AFD0B8B90.jpeg

The kit part is very basic, and to me it seems too flat. Now, I’ve seen at least two different styles of these midship vents, one somewhat slender like this, and another which is bulkier like Mike’s creation.

Mike’s is a much, much nicer part, IMHO, capturing the look I need 100%, AND having a perfectly hollow intake, unlike the kit part upon which there is no intake at all, just a flat face.

F4403A6A-900E-4853-AAAB-F3D147E08C8F.jpeg

Check this scoop out. This is a good pic of what we were aiming for. On the opposite side, but still a midships scoop

CBDEA414-AD2A-4D6D-8215-DD755D0BCC27.jpeg

And the second style...

And the Martin turret support doublers are strong on this one,...

98E2ED1A-7B13-4077-B3C5-3D9288C1B8FF.jpeg

• Like 7

• Administrators

So here’s our dilemma. As was pointed out to me, postwar RCAF Lance used the wide mouth exhausts, not the slender style with the divider bar. 

As there are no resin examples available, and since Lanc exhaust ejectors are longer, there’s not much to do other than make some.  

At first, Carl said “Tamiya Spitfire”, of which I have one of each release, so we drag out JE-J and upon looking, realize that a Spitty’s exhaust has a 90 degree twist to it. The Lanc’s are single plane and also much longer. 

Maybe cut the ends off the Tamiya parts and adapt them to the HK parts. That sounds too much like hard work. 

So let’s think about this a bit. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Here’s the HK Lanc exhaust stub. A solid part,  it a bit of relief on the end and yep, there’s the divider bar. 

68F13349-AD9A-4B55-B4C7-7F854EA20E79.jpeg

So, what about hollowing it out, thinning the walls, and at least give the illusion of a wide mouth?  Here’s a 20 second gougefest.  

B674995B-D0E3-4249-8A64-5CF7DB25950C.jpeg

OK, it looks better,  it we still have a problem. The end of the wartime Lanc stub was flanged:

C90CA85D-EC90-437A-B399-431EDEE84E47.jpeg

So, my final solution, or at least until I think of something better, will be to build up each stub with Apoxie Putty, smooth them out, then hollow the ends to the edge of plastic. 

I’ll fill this one tonight, smooth and hollow it tomorrow, and assuming it works, I’ll only have47 more to do y’all!!

• Like 7

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, TJTX said:

I love the process you're going through to transition the kit into an RCAF bird.  Really cool stuff here buddy. 

Actually, I just got a text saying the HK Mossie Mk.16 exhausts will work. And a picture to prove it. :)

Messing with the kit exhaust is fun, but an exact copy would be better

Off to explore options.... Buying two Mossies just to rob the exhausts is not a smart option.

• Like 3

Eduard ones wont work - they're for the "standard" single stage merlin engines where the two rear cylinders share one exhaust stub. The two-stage merlins on the later mossies had six individual stubs like the lancasters

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

Eduard ones wont work - they're for the "standard" single stage merlin engines where the two rear cylinders share one exhaust stub. The two-stage merlins on the later mossies had six individual stubs like the lancasters

But if you bought three sets, then you'd have enough to replace the Siamesed ones. Each set would have 16 usable stubs so three sets give you the required 48. 

5 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

Hey Ernie...  How's this look?  Copied as best I could from the HK mossie 16 exhaust

lanc merlin exhaust.png

But this would probably be even easier. Can't believe how fast you did those up Mike!

Carl

• Like 3

• Administrators

Hmm, will those pipes curve enough?  The Lanc exhausts seem to dump at a 45 degree angle to the engine block.

And just think. In a few years, FM.104 will be flying again in these colors.  Won’t that be quite the sight?

0724FFE5-0C77-45CC-B227-5AB1E3BCC71D.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

But this would probably be even easier. Can't believe how fast you did those up Mike!

Carl

Neither can I , to be honest... CAD and I have been disagreeing all weekend on how to do details of the Ki98 I'm designing for myself. Glad it sees eye to eye with me on the exhaust :)

• Like 4