The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

Ernie, it's not just the traffic but the drivers too. They're all "me first!" in their mentality behind the wheel.  It's not fun at all to drive in the GTA anymore. 

One other reason she's thinking of Barrie is there's a commuter train that goes downtown and then she's a 3 minute subway ride from the station to her office. So she could read or knit on the train ride at least. If she had to drive, it wouldn't be on the table. 

I remember when I'd drive 50,000 Kms in a year, never mind miles. I also remember the leasing company looking at me and telling me the mileage penalty was more than the buyout. So we sold the car privately and they gave us the difference. 

• Like 4

On 3/5/2019 at 7:35 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Ron I think the curvature of the fuselage is all different

The blanking panel is in the kit. It's part U1. There are also spare antennae in the kit on sprue P.

• Like 5

• Administrators

So here’s what I’ve been doing. I’m bored, so I let the knife start carving away just to see what could happen. 

Just for kicks and giggles, I took 1/2”off the height of the floor. Hey, I already buggered the seat into an unrecognizable lump, so let’s go for broke on the rest of the model.  My goal is to get the top of the main seat frame just about level with the edge of the sidewall.  

At first, I thought THIS might work. 3/8”.    But that was not it.   

087FAA5C-0851-4491-95DC-692FACAA6C85.jpeg

And then, this machine.....

A01FD806-EA67-44A4-A164-EA08230C648C.jpeg

But that was not it...... hmmm. I need more time. More thought......

• Like 4

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Just working with kit parts, ha king, glueing, hacking some more...

Comfy pillow is just sitting there  

793291D6-E97E-4D13-BC9A-C4723B577161.jpeg

You can really see what I was talking about here Ernie. While chopping the seat get's it sit low enough in the cockpit there is just no depth to the seat pan of the tweaked seat. I will wait for Roberts seat and just not glue down my canopy glass.

Jenkins%2BPilot%2Bseat%2Bscan0028-1.jpg?

• Like 5

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

You can really see what I was talking about here Ernie. While chopping the seat get's it sit low enough in the cockpit there is just no depth to the seat pan of the tweaked seat. I will wait for Roberts seat and just not glue down my canopy glass.

Exactly. Or use a comfy pillow. 

Smitty, one thing I noticed in the panorama of Just Jane was that the truss that supports the pilots seat pedestal is surrounded by some kind of a sheet metal thingy upon which various pipes, hoses, pouched etc are attached to. You can’t see the truss at all, so just lowering the floor should be plenty enough for me. I like to build what I’ll see, the rest I leave to the imagination. There’s a bit of busying up we can do in the cockpit as well, wire bundles, etc, running along the sidewalls, and like Mige showed, a few pipes on the seat itself as well.  Not excessive, but there’s a few of them. 

Im trying not to turn this into a ‘Make Work Project’, so I’m being selective on what we build here.

• Like 3

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Maybe if I add styrene rod along the length it’ll deepen the look a bit as well. And I haven’t added the front sheet metal yet, so that’ll help some. I’ll try it and see.

• Like 4

The seat of VRA..... as it was a rescue bird, I would say the seat cushion would be highly appropriate for any post war Lanc..... as the crews used to use a 'seat pack' during war ops, and not needed for post war rescue stuff, I know I'd sure like a cushion..................... I'd say you're on the right track Ernie...

cwh20132280057-1024x682.jpg

• Like 6

How did this thread got to K-36 ? LOL

I am really excited to see all the little changes you are implementing to this already beautiful kit Ernie. Fist cut is the scariest then everything goes red and...wait...what am I talking about? :)

Cheers

M.

CanadianAirAndSpaceMuseum-AvroLancasterT

• Like 4

On 3/6/2019 at 7:40 PM, Clunkmeister said:
  • So, I had a gentleman remind me that one of the big differences of a Mk.X is the 1 piece engine side covers. Brit planes had the two piece side covers, so, I feel that this panel line needs to go away.  Time to check my crystal ball. 

Edit:  these lines stay.

25020B2D-5737-4182-8BEC-89111FFA6465.jpeg

um.................. you sure?  I'm not arguing, I'm just wondering.....

Avro-Lancaster--18-Jun-1951--LAC-MIKAN-No--3584553.jpg

Avro-Lancaster-FM212--James-Craik.jpg

Avro-lancaster--RCAF--Serial-No--FM104---107-Rescue-Unit.jpg

Avro-Lancaster-Mk--X--RCAF--Serial-No--FM211---GS-X.png

• Like 4