The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

1 minute ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Great links there Jeff. Really brings back memories of playing underneath it when it was on the lakefront here in Toronto. 

Carl

You have NO idea how lucky you were Carl, I would have loved to have been able to even get close to one, even now..... I sure am glad the good folks in Toronto let it come to BC for its full return to glory, it will be REALLY cool to see it fly as a post war bird.... that will be rare, and VERY cool....

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

So are they intending to bring FM104 back to airworthy?

That would really be something if they did. That would mean 4 flying Lancs, and maybe 5, if Nanton gets theirs done as well.

EDIT: OK, answered my own question. I watched the video. :)  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

The Nanton bird won't fly anytime soon, I'm afraid, maybe one day, but I fear I won't see it...... BUT they are getting her all set up for taxiing, which will be really cool..... gonna take a bit for that as well, need a BIG paved area to have the room, but it is happening

• Like 4

• Administrators

Well, I’ve been doing some of the basic things to modernize the aircraft some. I’m not getting carried away, just the basics. The interior will be completely invisible aft of the spar, so it’ll be stock OOB back there.

I’ll add a few radios and do a few minor changes to the engineer’s and naviguesser’s areas.

Installed the windows, and now I’ll make them disappear.

Does anyone know if Canadian Lancs used British spec interior green, or standard local color interior green?

27936DEA-8F0C-4330-9DA8-6A6548AD6757.jpeg

• Like 7

Ernie

Those radio etc are well back beyond the cockpit.

You can see the flap actuator and the main spar well into the background.

I believe this photo is looking forward so that puts that radio gear on the starboard wall  . . . . which means you aint going to see them !!

David

• Like 3

Ernie, this is only a guess, as I will have to ask a higher authority, BUT from past research on Canadian built a/c built IN Canada, I might be on the side of the colors, being of British shades and codes and specs, but with Canadian materials, which I have been told could be a little lighter or darker depending on the supplier, apparently the paint composition was a little different on this side of the pond, and there fore were some slight color differences, meaning the 'hue' could go one way or the other......... now I need to do more research into this but if someone knows more, please correct me.... and these birds were built during the war so that would make sense to me...... butt hat's me.... I don't think you would go wrong doing it in RAF spec color hue.....

• Like 3

• Administrators

They were built to British specs so I agree.  Apparently though, as the war and time went on, more and more North American specific items were used?  Sort of like Packard with the Merlin. They started doing little improvements without getting the initial ok from Home Office, so to speak.

• Like 3

Just now, Clunkmeister said:

They were built to British specs so I agree.  Apparently though, as the war and time went on, more and more North American specific items were used?  Sort of like Packard with the Merlin. They started doing little improvements without getting the initial ok from Home Office, so to speak.

Yes, that is totally correct, so that would make me believe the materials used were of our making.... we are on the same page I think, and maybe even the same book too? LOL

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Clunkmeister said:

That RAF interior green seems awful light...

yes, maybe , but it certainly wasn't Chromate green, that's way too bright in my book, but maybe a derivative of sorts?? I have never heard of chromate green being used on a Canadian build............... BUT as I said I am open to be corrected.....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The kit spar looks nothing like this, and that big accumulator or reservoir on top of the kit spar looks like it needs to go.  Relocated, maybe?

And yup, we’ll need a few more radios....

162CE0E9-1BD9-4CB8-9EC7-F646387610D3.jpeg

Kinda looks like the radio  operator may have ended up shooting blanks.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Tee hee hee,

Lanc was supposed to be “Almost OOB”.  Ha! Whatever does that mean?  Lots of minor kitbashing going on, but nothing too severe. Cockpit’s actually looking good, but I’m filling the multitude of EPMs. 

I refuse to not let this build be serious fun, so I won’t be going silly chasing little furry rodents that collect acorns for a living.

7FA0AE51-19AA-4BBF-9100-440E20A4A189.jpeg

• Like 7