The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 Ă—

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators

LOL. Tried a dreaded wingtip tonight. Installed the spacer first, then th aileron spar. Tip fit OK. Not perfect, but OK. A bit of sanding and a skim of filler on the seam should make it perfect.

I hope the other side is as nice.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Not much happening here, just a bit of playing around with this. Obviously when I break out the brass, piano wire and evergreen, the build is about to go full on stupid.  I must resist. OOB, OOB, OOB.....

B4267DE5-4ADC-464E-BA24-59FDA8B5A840.jpeg

• Like 8

• Administrators

Alrighty then. A small update on this.  I’ve been playing around with some green tones. 

I don’t like the RAF interior green they give us in a bottle, so I’ve been mixing a bit of interior green into the RAF stuff until I came up with this. I think it looks convinced enough to me, so I’m going with it. 

I’ve seen pics of a non skid walkway on these, so I added one.  I’ll shorten it up a bit, but this is as it is right now. It’s way to stark for me  I think I’ll hit it with my old black standby, RLM66.

All I’ve done for mods is to lower the pilot’s pedestal to slightly less freeboard, mess with the seat to where it’s ok, and add the bare minimum of missing plumbing, plus holders for maps and the “How to Fly an Aeroplane” book. 

Comments welcome

65655DA4-189B-4ECA-9E28-C8F3B310145A.jpeg

DF9DA0C6-1493-4CBD-8968-D130038EE64F.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators

I also tried blacking out the rear of the pedestal. I’m thinking that after some doctoring up, through the birdcage it’ll pass for the open space that was there on the real ship. 

Maybe  

096AB117-06E9-4523-895A-99951F603E9F.jpeg

• Like 6

• Administrators

The seat isn’t done and I have yet to build a mount for it, but it will feature a comfy cushion, because late 50s, early 60s RCAF SAR birds featured plenty of store bought seat cushions to fill the space meant for a parachute. I’ll make a cushion out of Milliput because that thing looks like a plank.

It was peacetime and the old Lanc wasn’t going to go round and round with a Soviet submarine.   They had the Neptune and the brand new Canadair Argus coming on line for those fights. 

F06E0B9C-6036-4BF0-A74C-2E0B6D5FABB2.jpeg

Be kind. :)  I realize most of this won’t be seen when the canopy is on. So no, I didn’t get goofy with the details or the filling of the floor seam. The RCAF Lanc has a solid canopy to, so it’ll be even less visible

• Like 10

• Administrators

The rest of the interior is getting nothing more than what you see there. It’ll be invisible. Maybe I’ll put the bench seat in by the tail for the observers, and I’m sure those ammo cans should be gone,  it they’re invisible and I wanted to close the holes in the floor, sooooo.....

8E184723-2F90-48A5-B31C-06898DFF6BA1.jpeg

• Like 6

• Administrators

Roight then!

Here we are with the first of my concerns handled.  The airliner windows needed to be deep sixed to Davy Jones Locker. 

I sprayed on a thinned and decanted coat of Tamiya primer through my trusty VL, and I think we’ve more or less made them disappear.  There’s one or two standing slightly proud, but a swipe of a sanding stick will fix that. There’s also a couple pinholes in the Tamiya putty I’ll attend to as well  

Next we cut the observation window into the other fuselage side, frame the internals, and get some clear acetate cut to shape and inserted.

DA2A7151-5334-45B9-9659-D9F76D29F180.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators
2 hours ago, TJTX said:

Looking great Ernie.   I see another Eagle in your future. 

Thanks!

It’s a Lanc, not a Felix, Tony. It’ll be all about the finish. Acres of NMF on this one. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Merlin factory.

Four little engines on the way.  I’m actually impressed how easily these are going together.  Yeah, they’re a bit undersized, and yeah there’s some molded on detail, but these look every bit a Wizard once assembled.

Well done, HK, well done!  

C431BE3B-AC29-4581-8646-AA3B0A5D9D02.jpeg

• Like 6