The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators

So with the F-5F nicely finished and sent off, I redid my model room and as promised, I immediately jumped into my next build, the glorious HKM Avro Lancaster Mk.X. 

Yes I said Mk.X, because I’m doing a Mk.X with plenty of postwar mods for the Maritime Patrol and S.A.R. Mission.  

Everyone is doing wartime birds, so I’m gonna be a bit different, just because I can  :)

There will be a touch of very minor kitbashing involved to get this to where I want it to be.  

I expect I’ll follow in the footsteps of the Intrepid Nige, and modify the seat and possibly a bit more in there. An Airscale panel will be present, and hopefully either HGW or RB belts. If other cockpit goodies become available in the next couple months, I’ll use them as needed. 

The rest of the build will be OOB, following the tweak list as shown in Nige’s thread.   Side windows will be blanked off and an extra window cut into the rear fuselage for the lookout positions.   Flame dampers, upper turret, and all guns will be eliminated. 

I’m waiting on decals that were promised in a month or so and I’m also hoping for pics of the sonobuoy and other mods by Lanc guys in Canada.  Jeff was looking into that for me.  

So onward ho!

11AE42A1-F85C-4F34-90F4-3F2995E47DF4.jpeg

• Like 9

Alright! Time to pull up a chair and watch the fun begin.  There's a shop around the corner from me that does some great vintage aviation logo'd clothing including this one:

DSC_0209-L.jpg

Needless to say, I think I may have to get  you one so you're suitably dressed for this build. :D

Carl

• Like 7

• Administrators

thing that was bothering me was the upper turret location. I never really looked how it was molded, and I had nightmares about having to cut off the raised aerodynamic fairing ring from the fuselage.  

Imagine my relief when I checked and found that they molded the ring separate. Whew!  But alas, HK didn’t thoughtfully include a turret blanking plate like they did on the B-25, so I’ll need to bend and cut one myself.

• Like 5

• Administrators

And probably the easiest way to eliminate the windows is to carefully, tediously cut pieces of Evergreen to fit, invent many new English words along the way, sand it oh so carefully until it’s just right. Then repeat 17 or so more times. :)

Just kidding, I’ll install the windows, fill the edges, scribe over them as needed, then prime. I know enough cuss words as it is. I don’t need any more.

• Like 6

Fantastic set of reference photos and this should be a joy to watch.

I admire your choice for as you rightly pointed out, MOST folks are into the wartime version so this will be oh so bright !!

Good luck with the conversion and the window filling . . . 

David

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FME erk said:

Fantastic set of reference photos and this should be a joy to watch.

I admire your choice for as you rightly pointed out, MOST folks are into the wartime version so this will be oh so bright !!

Good luck with the conversion and the window filling . . . 

David

40 minutes ago, Jackster said:

Wow, what a different choice, very nice to see something a bit different. Looking forward to seeing this completed. 

Cheers

Kev

Agreed. Good to see something other than these sooooooooo-boooooooooring camoed schemes ;) 

And a personal bonus for an aircraft aimed at saving lives, rather than bombing towns and factories ...

Like many, will follow with interest:popcorn:

Hubert

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 hour ago, smitty44 said:

Hey that thing has a wanker! Anyways, maybe we should start a pool? Day and month he finishes? How could we set up a prize for the winner? :poo:

More like day, month, and YEAR I finish. I'm aiming for this July as I'd like to take it to the Nats in August, but who knows.  Unexpected self inflicted issues with the F-5F pushed the the start date back an entire month.

• Like 5

• Administrators

The retired RCAF rescue fleet makes up the majority of surviving Lancaster bombers left on Earth, so I'm really hoping to bring the old girl to life in miniature, and as Hubert said, honor those who flew these aircraft to save lives rather than take them.

Aircraft 213 is now in B.C. and getting the restoration she so richly deserves.

• Like 4

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

Somewhere, I've seen what looks like a patch to replace that upper turret fairing. Damned if I can find that picture now, though!

That would be the easy way of course, but it's not difficult either way.  I guess if someone was selling one for a few bucks I'd buy and use one to save the time and dust. 

Gotta check out references though to see if 213 originally had a Martin turret, because if so, the patch panel on the fuselage would show farther forward...

• Like 3