The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators

Well Harv, compared to this, I think we got it covered.  I see no real standardization on these postwar Lancs. Everything is pretty hodgepodge. It seems if doing one of these, you need to pick a prototype and stick with that individual aircraft.

The profile pic looks pretty close to me.

B1F7AAAB-B08A-4588-922F-76A081D9EA8A.jpeg

67E8D913-3FF2-483B-8635-6D33E94C618B.jpeg

• Like 5

It is becoming a work of outstanding craftsmanship.

I love the details that you are adding and those interior photos are a great incentive to build one of those colourful birds.

I think you are right Ernie when you say that you need to stick to ONE particular bird as there seems occasional mods on individual aircraft.

Slightly off topic but what do you use the 'Leveling Thinners' fluid for ??

Keep up the good work my man 

David

• Like 5

• Administrators

Thanks David!

Mr Levelling Thinner is my magic elixir. I use it to thin all the paint I use, Gunze, Tamiya, and MM.  I’ve also even thinned Future with it on occasion. 

What it does for me is alllw paint to go on thing, smooth, and level. No orange peel, and no paint issues whatsoever.  Of course it doesn’t take the place of surface prep, but it literally eliminates all issues of paint failure. 

I’ve mentioned it to a few guys around here, and they achieve identical results. 

• Like 7

• Administrators
On 5/13/2019 at 4:14 PM, GusMac said:

That looks great under some primer Ernie, especially the custom scoop.

Gotta agree on the Mr Levelling as well. I've even used it with Ammo acrylics with good results.

Thanks Gus.  I ended up jamming in some Apoxie sculpt clay in the gaps between the scoop and fuselage. It helped even more. 

I’m chuffed over the reinforcing plates on the fuselage. Those were my number one concern, as I figured I’d need litho plate, or even need to build it up with primer. But .005 Evergreen really looks right, I think. Not too overdone.

The rest of this build should be just applying basic modeling skills.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Jeff, I took the cheater’s way out: I bought another kit and swiped the wheel from it. I’ll replace that spruce once they appear on eBay, then build the kit.  I’ll definitrly build it because I love the Lanc.  And this kit builds like a dream. 

As for the observers windows, Mike Swinburne 3D printed me several. I buffed them up and dipped them in Future. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Jeff, I took the cheater’s way out: I bought another kit and swiped the wheel from it. I’ll replace that spruce once they appear on eBay, then build the kit.  I’ll definitrly build it because I love the Lanc.  And this kit builds like a dream. 

As for the observers windows, Mike Swinburne 3D printed me several. I bugged them up and dipped them in Future. 

makes good sense, and a great idea and way to solve a little issue, it is looking incredibly good, I sure would like to see it in real, but your build thread keeps me wanting more.....

• Like 4

Fantastic work Ernie, step by step this is becoming one very special Lancaster. Not many people have to guts to build kit of such size and there is only a handful who can implement modification required for RCAF Lanc. Way to go Man.

Cheers

M.

lancnose.jpg

• Like 5

Ernie, I totally agree with Martin, and I could add that I bet it will be the FIRST post war RCAF MR Lanc out there in the whole world.......Did I read that you are going to send Mike some photos for his gallery on his site of the finished product? That would be cool..... I LOVE how this is coming together and your attention to detail, and I will also add, that you are building this just about as fast as John would...... (does)

• Like 2

• Administrators

Spent all my spare time sanding, filling imperfections, scribing, riveting, distressing a few places to look like sheet metal repair patches performed by drunken monkeys. A good, solid coat of white primer let’s me see imperfections.

next, mask the areas that will be NMF and hit them with black.

7FC9B309-C8DF-409F-BF8E-345D172B6630.jpeg

• Like 7

• Administrators
On 5/17/2019 at 8:33 AM, Jeff said:

Ernie, I totally agree with Martin, and I could add that I bet it will be the FIRST post war RCAF MR Lanc out there in the whole world.......Did I read that you are going to send Mike some photos for his gallery on his site of the finished product? That would be cool..... I LOVE how this is coming together and your attention to detail, and I will also add, that you are building this just about as fast as John would...... (does)

Yes Jeff, I agreed to send Mike Belcher some pics for his use. What he decides to do with them is totally up to him, though.

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 5/16/2019 at 6:32 PM, Martinnfb said:

Fantastic work Ernie, step by step this is becoming one very special Lancaster. Not many people have to guts to build kit of such size and there is only a handful who can implement modification required for RCAF Lanc. Way to go Man.

Cheers

M.

lancnose.jpg

Thanks Martin. It’s an easy project, actually.

Like how you cut up a resin kit, what do they say? The first cut is the deepest. It’s all downhill from there.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Spent all my spare time sanding, filling imperfections, scribing, riveting, distressing a few places to look like sheet metal repair patches performed by drunken monkeys. A good, solid coat of white primer let’s me see imperfections.

next, mask the areas that will be NMF and hit them with black.

7FC9B309-C8DF-409F-BF8E-345D172B6630.jpeg

Major milestone there Ernie! 

Carl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

The engine side panels are smooth one piece panels back to the firewall, so fill flame damper slots with spruce, fill panel lines with stretched spruce mash, then slather it all with putty.  

AC591DA9-F5B7-4DE9-8527-1E06AD497FDE.jpeg

• Like 6

• Administrators
On 5/21/2019 at 2:13 AM, FME erk said:

I did find those panels rather strange with the panel lines contained within them . . . glad you are eliminating them Ernie !

David

I’ve seen pics of real Lancs both with and without them. This one doesn’t have them

• Like 4

• Administrators

More silliness. Correcting the radiator outlet ramp oops.  Brought out the drill, followed by the Sprue nippers. The first one took an hour, the second took 15 minutes.

Two down, two to go.  

9A9CE101-F7E0-4D92-B475-A04392FC03D1.jpeg

32D46999-DD2D-4BFA-BCE5-30419D90A641.jpeg

D891D913-1E58-4D93-824E-3FF798D10F8C.jpeg

• Like 7