The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

the first pic shows a good example of the "Dust Bin" radar .............. the second pic is FM159 in Nanton a former Rescue bird from the '50's, notice the strengthening strip where the turret goes, common to all RCAF rescue birds....the rest are mostly just for any kind of reference you can use them for...... still hunting the details for you Ern, haven't forgotten....but much like I have mentioned there isn't much in the way of huge mods for the rescue birds.......

9A11FDBB-60FD-48A3-8ADD-3F8CE253E359.thumb.jpeg.d1b1376781ab4ff4dc25b2b6b2ca75c2.jpeg

Starboard side view without upper turret.jpg

Lancaster10MP_405Sqn_RCAF_NAS_Jax_Feb1953.jpg

torbay-14.jpg

LastCall45.jpg

LastCall44.jpg

LastCall46.jpg

LastCall70.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators

Jeff I'd love to know where that third picture down was take.

That looks like a lineup of F4U-1A's all parked with their wings folded, and it appears the Lanc is in the way of a PB4Y-2 that wants to get by.

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Clunky 

I haven't checked this out yet, but could you use the filler panel from HKs B-25 to fill the hole for the turret?

Ron G 

Ron I think the curvature of the fuselage is all different

• Like 3

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Must resist the urge to break mine out....

...bench would collapse under the weight of all that plastic at the same time. 

Agreed. I keep thinking of wanting to do the Mother of all Kingfisher builds, but I must resist. Lanc is number 1 for the next bit.

Then there's a Sabre Dog, a big ol' Dak, a Mug-15, and a PBJ-1H.

No rest for the weary

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FME erk said:

9A11FDBB-60FD-48A3-8ADD-3F8CE253E359.thumb.jpeg.d1b1376781ab4ff4dc25b2b6b2ca75c2.jpeg

That rear turret looks totally devoid of any equipment ????

Was it still operational when the photo was taken does anybody know ??

David

Yes, David,, ALL war time guns and other sundries were removed after hostilities, so no guns on any rescue Lanc..... it was a weight saving thing, and we didn't need them any more....

• Like 3

Ernie................ this pic?? all it says is 405 Sqdn  NAS Jax, Feb 1953 so I'd say it is Naval Air Station Jacksonville Florida??  and that could be , as we did a LOT of exchange ops with the USN..................makes sense to me....

• Like 3

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Ernie................ this pic?? all it says is 405 Sqdn  NAS Jax, Feb 1953 so I'd say it is Naval Air Station Jacksonville Florida??  and that could be , as we did a LOT of exchange ops with the USN..................makes sense to me....

Yep, that's the one. I saw the wing of the taxiing PB4Y-2 sticking out and I went,... hmmmmm

• Like 1

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Yes, David,, ALL war time guns and other sundries were removed after hostilities, so no guns on any rescue Lanc..... it was a weight saving thing, and we didn't need them any more....

Didn't they use the rear turret cupola as a handy dandy lookout area?

• Like 2

Jeff

Would the front turret have been stripped of ALL equipment as well ?.

I can appreciate No guns in the turrets but there is not even the framework visible in the rear turret . . . 

• Like 4

there are 4 known ways  that RCAF used to convert the turrets into observation posts, or in some cases get a rid of them all together.

• Submarine style observer windows 

Avro-Lancaster--RCAF--Serial-No--FN207--

• plexi insert

Avro-Lancaster--RCAF-post-war--SAM-Photo

• Filled the gun openings with metal stripes

RCAF-Lancaster-FM110-of-404-Sqn-is-start

Avro-Lancaster--1947---MIKAN-No--3584072

Avro-Lancaster--Serial-No--FM-214---AK-B

• Use the turret frame and sheet it over

Avro-lancaster--RCAF--Serial-No--FM104--

• Like 7

14 hours ago, FME erk said:

Jeff

Would the front turret have been stripped of ALL equipment as well ?.

I can appreciate No guns in the turrets but there is not even the framework visible in the rear turret . . . 

Yes, they were cleaned out to the basic frame work,  mostly due to weight saving, but they didn't carry much in the way of rescue equipment other than the rescue rafts with survival gear for the most part, and as Martin points out there were a few different styles of turret mods, mostly due to which ever operation the aircraft was assigned to, Rescue ASW etc.... so yes, and very observant....

• Like 4

Ernie, if you have a close look at the pic Martin posted of MN 207, you can see the strengthening strakes by the mid upper turret, those are what I was trying to show with our 159 bird in Nanton............

• Like 4