The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

I KNOW most of you guys know this, but for those who don't...................... on the comment section of the 405 Squadron ORB, you will notice there is an entry of "DCO", that translates to " Duty Carried Out" , for those who may wonder what that parlance is.... means the job was completed... of course you guys knew that.................. right?

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, FME erk said:

Jeff

Conversely DNCO means it wasnt carried out . . . . NOT

Some great info on the Canuck Post-war Lancaster activities. I am gathering that you were there Jeff ?

ah nope, not there, would have liked to have been, just was there in the '70's, but have been studying this stuff for centuries..... AND am ALWAYS willing to be corrected at anytime, if I have it wrong....

• Like 5

• Administrators

I was Army so we had our own lingo that nobody else could understand. Not even the Air Farce pigeon toed zoomies.  The few time I was on Namao in the early 80s I felt like a fish out of water. I was all grunt, all the time, anyone gets in the way of my mission and he/she gets knocked over. Not a very likeable fellow, or so I was told, but on an Air Base all I saw were a bunch of idle people standing around in spiffy uniforms, wasting time. Oh how I wanted to to get them busy and dirty them up some. 

We'd drive in with our Deuce and report to QM for some resupply and it was like Moses entering the Promised Land through the Red Sea. Those zoomies would magically part and let us through. It took me 20 years to figure out it was because we smelled like 4 months deployed. But we'd come on base,, we got the serious looks of derision. :)   We were badasses and we knew it. :)

• Like 2

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Ernie, just catching up.........let’s see some more plastic being man handled............looking good bro......from an English man that’s as good as it gets....:rolleyes:

Was working on the seat frame last night, Phil. I shortened it and sectioned it as well. Tonight I'll try modifying the bottom mounts to fit. Then I'm going to do as Nige did with the pilot's seat floor. Cut it down and lower it onto a scaffold made from Evergreen. Then we'll extend the ribbing on the sidewall.

I popped the windows into the port side last night as well. I'll work at filling around the windows now and riveting as needed.

• Like 5

• Administrators

now, from what I've read, the entire airplane was defanged. Armor plate, turret internals, complete Martin Turret, and all bomb sighting, aiming, and obsolete WW2 military gear was removed to save weight. I'll be winging it, but the first obvious thing to go is the armor plate on the pilot's seat.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Was working on the seat frame last night.

So wish I could model in the week, have a 4 hour commute everyday, so home at 8.00pm if I’m lucky, suppper then basically off to bed for another day......that’s why builds take me so damn long.....,,

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

So wish I could model in the week, have a 4 hour commute everyday, so home at 8.00pm if I’m lucky, suppper then basically off to bed for another day......that’s why builds take me so damn long.....,,

My shop is 55 miles from home. I spend 2 1/2 hours in my automobile every day. I get home between 1930 and 2000 every day.

I try to grab an hour at the bench after supper so I can at least get something done.  Some days I just stare at it and do little more than trim parts, other days I get on a roll and build to 2330 or so.   I’m up at 0430 every morning to get to the office early, so some nights are mighty short.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Ok, sorry for italics above. Computer stupidity. 

Last night I shortened and sectioned the seat, now starting to place the mounts back on. I have no earthly clue if this is even close to right, but I’ll keep hacking away until it resembles something.   I’m using cushions on it because I’m going to assume by the late 50s-early 60s, comfort for one’s arse was more important than baling out over the flak infested Ruhr. 

571C0F5B-6527-4073-867E-82F31EC485BE.jpeg

• Like 4

• Administrators
  • So, I had a gentleman remind me that one of the big differences of a Mk.X is the 1 piece engine side covers. Brit planes had the two piece side covers, so, I feel that this panel line needs to go away.  Time to check my crystal ball. 

Edit:  these lines stay.

25020B2D-5737-4182-8BEC-89111FFA6465.jpeg

• Like 4

• Administrators

And as Nige pointed out, the floor is way too high. I placed the seat on it with white glue, just to get an idea.   This is sitting there on the seat frame, without the mounts even on the seat. 

Thefloor needs to be lowered by an actual 1/2” or so. Fark!

So I’m gonna go full copycat and copy Nige. He admits his might not be exactly 100% either, but the floor is definitely too high and extends too far back. It’s pretty visible with that huge greenhouse, so “a hackin’ we will go!”  

992F2DCC-7C90-465C-AB0E-236DCE5D2F5A.jpeg

E5DE24DF-EC9D-40E2-B57A-0011C13FF014.jpeg

94516213-D42B-4892-BB39-251E678E5AD4.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

13 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

My shop is 55 miles from home. I spend 2 1/2 hours in my automobile every day. I get home between 1930 and 2000 every day.

I try to grab an hour at the bench after supper so I can at least get something done.  Some days I just stare at it and do little more than trim parts, other days I get on a roll and build to 2330 or so.   I’m up at 0430 every morning to get to the office early, so some nights are mighty short.

This is one of the conversations my wife and I have every so often and it seems more frequently recently. She's thinking of moving to Barrie which is a small city about 85km from where we are now. The idea is we'd be closer to ski hills (not mountains, since this is Ontario) in the winter and mountain bike trails in the summer. Plus we could get a bigger house for way less than what our current place is worth thereby shrinking the mortgage. 

But she'd be commuting to work downtown that 85km which is the big tradeoff.  Me? I'm stuck home watching the boys so I wouldn't be too impacted. If anything, it means more bench time.

So we keep talking...

Carl

• Like 4

• Administrators

Carl, I know the traffic in the GTA,... 15 years ago. It was hideous then, and I can't even begin to imagine now. No sir, unless you could telecommute, there's no way on Earth I'd be thinking of moving.  I do it now in the DFW Metroplex, and it's a killer.  I have an added expense of easily $50,000.00 over a 5 year period from commuting alone. (I'm probably low on that estimate, actually)  20K for a new commuter car every five years, insurance, fuel, tolls, maintenance, and sundries. And that doesn't even take into account lost time with my family that when added up, = months.

I buy a small, economical commuter car and drive it until things start constantly wearing out and breaking. Usually 5 years is about right. My current one is a 2014 Focus, and it's pushing 220,000 MILES and it's getting tired. New car in my future

• Like 4