The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Ernie, is that the same crew working on FM104?

Carl

Actually I was wrong and had them backwards. 213 is flying today as the CWH Lanc, so she's alive and well. 104 is in B.C. being restored.  My Bad, sorry.

Carl, I had them reversed and dangit, I may swap numbers and build 104, undecided. But no worries, either or, they're darn near identical.

I even just found one of those unique dark antenna housings that these Lancs had on the rear greenhouse. Left over from an RCAF Mustang build where I used the Leading Edge set....

• Like 2

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, FME erk said:

You can seen in one of the photos above, Starboard view, that she had a Martin turret and its faired over . . . .

David

Yes, thanks for that. In that pic, the new metal and paint are extremely obvious.   For once in a very long time, I'm actually SUPER excited about a build. As in I can't wait to get home and start cutting plastic.

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 hour ago, harv said:

Hey cupcake, this will be epic ! Got my comfy chair and drink and popcorn.......harv:popcorn::popcorn:

Johnny Fossil!  Get out of comfy chair and belly up to your bench.  Your Horten won't get built by positive waves of good intention.

Feeling groovy positive waves, man.

• Like 6

I am truly excited about this build Ernie, not in the usual surface way, but deeply excited to see RCAF Lanc being build. As Harvey said this is going to be epic .

Full of anticipation 

truly yours 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

I am truly excited about this build Ernie, not in the usual surface way, but deeply excited to see RCAF Lanc being build. As Harvey said this is going to be epic .

Full of anticipation 

truly yours 

I'm building a RCAF Lanc, you just can't see it.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Whoa, nice Smitty, any chance to open your own build? Please, pretty please .... with cherry on the top :)

Nah, too many folks around here way too passionate about the Lanc for me to expose my non- chalant OOB type build. Almost ready to close it up anyways.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Okay, having not followed the development of this kit, am I safe to assume that the designers used late production Lanc Mk.X versions as patterns and for exterior detail?  Unless shown or told otherwise, I’m gonna assume as much, sooooo,... this kit, after doing the previous changes discussed already, should be pretty darn close to the 50s-early 60s RCAF ships.

So putting on some good tunes and away we go.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Well, I’m for an inch, in for a mile. I emulated Nige’s initial cutson the seat, looking to follow in his footsteps and get a feel for what he did. 

I just mocked up the floor into the port side cockpit wall and will check out the fit. 

But, unlike Nige, I’m a whittler, so out came a fresh #11 and away I went. Sure enough, I whittled right down into my fingers. Yep, I see first blood. It took less than an hour. 

BDDFABD6-372A-46AA-957E-F97AB06EBB57.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 6

• Administrators

The seat back is quite Plain Jane, so again following Nige’s lead, I tried doctoring up the back with some lightening holes and general clean up to see how it looks.  I have precious nothing for Canadian reference materials, so the only thing I can say for sure is that this seat will lose its armor plating  

Im not liking the moulded on details, so I might just trash this and scratch up a seatback, but I’ll sleep on that thought and decide tomorrow. 

I’m not sure the end will justify the labor, we’ll see. 

And from what I can see, that lower extension past the bottom cross support needs to be 86’d as well. 

52F95201-1DD8-4C93-8A7B-3FFEF171AE67.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Well, I’m for an inch, in for a mile. I emulated Nige’s initial cutson the seat, looking to follow in his footsteps and get a feel for what he did. 

I just mocked up the floor into the port side cockpit wall and will check out the fit. 

But, unlike Nige, I’m a whittler, so out came a fresh #11 and away I went. Sure enough, I whittled right down into my fingers. Yep, I see first blood. It took less than an hour. 

BDDFABD6-372A-46AA-957E-F97AB06EBB57.jpeg

image.jpg

Ouch! 

• Like 3