The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

March / Summer Break build: Mi-24 Hind Tiger Meet

As we're into the first weekend of March Break here in Canada, I've got a bit of time on my hands. So rather than do the logical thing and work on something already on my bench, I started something new. I've been in correspondence with Mitko from DN Models about some custom masks for another project so that sort of planted the idea for this build. 

IMG_20190308_233613-L.jpg

I decided to do the kit pretty much OOB and closed up. I won't try to fix the twist that the engine box has in real life. It'll be more about the tiger stripes.

IMG_20190308_233536-L.jpg

IMG_20190308_233547-L.jpg

One thing that stalled this hitting the bench was the ResKit rocket pods I ordered. They're really nicely done but due to their lacquer of protection in the package came with many of the tubes broken. So I'm going to skip them and the Part PE set and just use the wheels and Master gun barrel.

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Title correction
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Carl, you’ll running out of room on that bench soon...........:stirthepot:

I think I did a little while ago. I've got the Kingfisher in a tub  at the moment. It looks like an order of fries from McDonald's with the wings and fuselage sticking out. 

• Like 5

Next up was the exhausts and MLG legs. Because I'm so good at building in order. :lol:

IMG_20190309_195704-L.jpg

With a coat of paint on.

IMG_20190310_005557-L.jpg

At this point, what I thought what was a mould seam is actually a crack in the fuselage. It's bent in quite a bit as well.

IMG_20190309_201827-L.jpg

I'm hoping that once the interior and gear bays are installed, it'll straighten out. 

• Like 5

I glued the cabin doors on the closed position. The fit wasn't bad as a lot of times these bits are meant to fit only in the open position. 

IMG_20190309_221059-L.jpg

IMG_20190309_233405-L.jpg

Then time for a bit of paint. 

IMG_20190310_005625-L.jpg

IMG_20190310_005603-L.jpg

That's as far as I got last night.  I'm hoping to get the cockpit started later today. 

• Like 8

You are a machine, man, on one of these pictures I can spot the Uhu guns, I wonder how the Mil will end with some 'Schräge Musik' hopefully synchronized with the main rotor :D. Both the 219 and the 24 look mean, bash them together, …, taken away.

I'm in on this one two, albeit I have only a 1/72 Eduard / Zvezda 24 in my stash. Bring it on.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

On 3/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, coolboxx said:

Great going,  really like the look of the camo.

Thanks! I've always liked the different tiger stripe paint schemes, especially the low vis ones. I've got a CF-18 to do soon and possibly a Mig-29UB as well.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:40 PM, Martinnfb said:

few purely motivational pics. :)

20180130_134205.thumb.jpg.c12e89eed3be65bac59bc8367fcfda69.jpg20180130_134157.thumb.jpg.6a9caa613d531e6463fb74fd790e04f8.jpg

Thanks Martin! Your dog?

• Like 5

On 3/10/2019 at 3:57 PM, DocRob said:

You are a machine, man, on one of these pictures I can spot the Uhu guns, I wonder how the Mil will end with some 'Schräge Musik' hopefully synchronized with the main rotor :D. Both the 219 and the 24 look mean, bash them together, …, taken away.

I'm in on this one two, albeit I have only a 1/72 Eduard / Zvezda 24 in my stash. Bring it on.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob! The Uhu fuselage is somewhere in there too. The Eduard set looks nice too. Probably more manageable size wise.

On 3/10/2019 at 6:54 PM, Peterpools said:

Carl

Right with Rob ... No way can mortal men keep up with you and John. Will be following all the way.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Peter,  John is on another level. The only person I know faster was Russ from LSP. 

• Like 4

Well, March break ended up with more adult supervision that I had hoped for. I guess you just can't leave your boys outside all day and hope for the best. :rolleyes:

In my typical non linear style, I started work on the rocket pods. To improve the kit ones a bit, I drilled out the tubes with progressively larger bits until the walls were more suitably thin. 

IMG_20190311_230923-L.jpg

Then, in probably a bad idea moment, I'd decided to use the Part PE set for the cockpit. So much for OOB...and of course Fur the cat came down for her visit. One nice thing about the Part stuff is they're not prepainted so no worries about matching colours. The bad thing is the number of parts.

IMG_20190313_151803-L.jpg

Rather than try to sand off and smooth out the kit cockpit panel, I just made a new one from sheet styrene. 

IMG_20190314_220405-L.jpg

With a cat less in the way...

IMG_20190314_220350-L.jpgIMG_20190314_220350-L.jpg

Here's where I am at the moment. Each panel is made up of two to three layers to get the multicoloured end result. 

IMG_20190318_115035-L.jpg

So that's probably around 20 very tiny bits of PE. Like I said, maybe a bad idea for a quick build. 

Carl

• Like 5

I have this kit too, I want to say there was some drilling required on the seat back to allow the belts to pass through. I think Trump would have you just either drap them over the back rest or butt joint glue them to the seat.

Ryan

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ryan said:

I have this kit too, I want to say there was some drilling required on the seat back to allow the belts to pass through. I think Trump would have you just either drap them over the back rest or butt joint glue them to the seat.

Ryan

I was wondering about that. The instructions just show one buckle just right against the seat so thanks for the heads up. 

• Like 3