The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

"Special" Tamiya P-51

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Tony , why did you use grey on the top cover? On all of the photographs above it seems to be flat black .

If you look at the picture of the cockpit, to me it certainly seems to be a darker grey than the interior grey, but not a black. It looks to me like it closely matches the color of the center instrument panel so I chose to go that route.  I think the exterior pictures make it seem darker than it was.  I could be completely wrong, just a best guess.

• Like 3

I am thinking about the picture on the first page, that shows cockpit before restoration and the original black paint is heavily faded, but still black. You can see the blotchy look, if it was repainted it would look fresh/uniform . There is not really a reason to repaint the anti-glare surface. 

I am not trying to be bitchy-wifey, just thinking out loud the thought process. :)

• Like 2

I am thinking about the picture on the first page, that shows cockpit before restoration and the original black paint is heavily faded, but still black. You can see the blotchy look, if it was repainted it would look fresh/uniform . There is not really a reason to repaint the anti-glare surface. 

I am not trying to be bitchy-wifey, just thinking out loud the thought process. :)

• Like 2

• Like 2

• Like 2

No worries.   I greatly appreciate all your input and I may repaint it.  I'm just not sure how easy it'll be now that its glued on.  You guys are the ones keeping me on the straight and narrow so feel free to point out my errors and omissions. 

• Like 3

Still trying to track down drop tanks.  Anyone have a guess as to what type the checkerboard ones are? Meanwhile spent time on the interior.   I know it didn't have the bullet proof plating behind the seat so I took a wild guess on the modification and I think it looks ok.  

20190414_164112.jpg

20190414_164131.jpg

• Like 6

Here are few pictures explaining what you have to go trough in order to remove the anti-glare cover if you want to paint it. In matter of fact this one appears to be grey, but it is black. Just faded from heat, UV rays and tears of the pilots :)

front.jpg.ce7ac6a0939da2967cb4713fd96f2166.jpgremoval.jpg.bd331e2894d09f19d045f6886a0af1db.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Looking good Tony. That armour glass actually proves the point . Why would they painted the panel and didn't get a rid of extra weight while they had it apart?

I certainly can't argue with that. I guess I'll tape the glass and try some smoke to darken it up a bit.  

• Like 3

If I can propose suggestion, considering that this is going to Nationals. 

The whole cover should have pressed-in reinforcement as on the picture bellow. I would just ripped it out and replace the top all together.

bbb.jpg.474e0babc9fed53bbaeb1eedafa0fdcd.jpg

PeDMFE1.mp4

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

If I can propose suggestion, considering that this is going to Nationals. 

The whole cover should have pressed-in reinforcement as on the picture bellow. I would just ripped it out and replace the top all together.

bbb.jpg.474e0babc9fed53bbaeb1eedafa0fdcd.jpg

PeDMFE1.mp4

Crap!!!  I looked at the photo numerous times and swore I didn't see those.  That's why I chose the one I did.   Time to consider how to approach this.  I can pull the glare shield probably but I'm not sure I could get the glass safely out.  Something to ponder at work I guess.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Tony, did the racer retain the heavy wartime radios and battery?

I contemplated those, and heres what I thought.  The battery would have to stay no matter what and given the choice between the nose installation or fuselage I figured fuselage.   Reason being that pushes the cg aft and increases efficiency and speed.  As for the radios, the cockpit picture shows radio/nav radio dials.  So I just kept the radio box.  This was a long distance race so it needed those items.  Same for the aft fuel tank.  They did everything they could to stick more gas in this thing so I can't imagine they pulled the fuselage tank.  I could be completely wrong on all this, since I'm ASSuming a lot of things, with a focus on the first 3 letters.

• Like 4