The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

"Special" Tamiya P-51

Very nice, I like your project and the way you tackle it. I was never much into Race planes with the exception maybe of sleek elegant French Caudrons or hefty Gee Bee's, but that might alter with your build.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Now I'm feeling the build is taking a step forward.   It's really starting to look like a Mustang and I'm oh so close to paint.  One last thing to figure out is a pitot tube.

20190703_170642.jpg

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

If you want a kick ass white, try the two part model car paints, those make some beautiful finishes. 

What do you mean by two part? Is it an A B type mix?

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 8:51 PM, 1to1scale said:

Yes, it’s used on model cars, it’s a catalyzed A/B paint system, but you get amazingly smooth paint. Check out Zero Paints

http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/index.php?id_category=1123&controller=category

HOW do you guys find this stuff??? , Not Hobby world, but the paints..... It is now in my favorites, VERY cool paints.... LOVE the color match...... Thanks !

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Jeff said:

HOW do you guys find this stuff??? , Not Hobby world, but the paints..... It is now in my favorites, VERY cool paints.... LOVE the color match...... Thanks !

People at my local IPMS, there are some really talented guys I am always learning from.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

People at my local IPMS, there are some really talented guys I am always learning from.

They have all kinds of colors and metalizers.  Is it enamel, lacquer, or acrylic?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

You can tell the guys for me I'm learning from them TOO! Awesome, thanks for sharing this stuff....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TJTX said:

They have all kinds of colors and metalizers.  Is it enamel, lacquer, or acrylic?

I believe its like real auto paint, you have a base-coat, then a 2 or three part catalyzed clear. once its on, its tough as nails, and can be polished and buffed like a car. 

• Like 2

Next section of white is on.  I still need to do a bit more work on the filler port after priming it again.   Once that gets wrapped up I can keep painting.  This is only the first coat of white, it will get cleaned up and I'll spray over this again. 

20190712_093242.jpg

• Like 6

Prop is done.  I couldn't successfully cast it in resin, so I just went ahead and built up all 4 blades.  I'm quite happy how it turned out and that it sits well into a slightly modified spinner.  

20190714_074412.jpg

20190714_074438.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Very neat work Tony, I do like the off-white colour as well, it doesn't  shine like snowman on the moon. :)

That is how the white looked to me in the photos, and I figured if they were running surplus drop tanks they might very well of used the insignia white of the time too.  I had to put down a 3rd treatment on the filler port, but that should fix it for good.  Then I can finish painting and then get the decals on.  I'm VERY anxious to see the name go on the nose.

• Like 3

Now she's coming to life.  The decals go down beautifully.  HOWEVER,  once they go down there is absolutely no moving them so you'd better get it right on the first try.  There's still some touch up painting and more decaling to go.  I'm hoping to have this wrapped up in August.   This will be the last WIP update because there really isn't anything else to share. 

20190715_135355.jpg

20190715_135434.jpg

20190715_135459.jpg

• Like 3