The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

M4A3 (76)W Sherman

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting a project on line. I thought I would share my build and hopefully get some feedback and suggestion.  Always looking to improve my modelling.  So here I go.

Going to be building the 1/35 M4A3 (76)W Sherman by Asuka.  I wanted to try one as I have heard they are the best around.  Two days after I got it I found Meng is coming out with the same one.  I did not see a release date but from the sounds of it, it will be similar to the Asuka kit.  Looking forward to see the reviews of it.

Other than the kit I have the following after market items:

Def Model 76mm M1A1C barrel

Def Model M4 basic detail set

Eduard M4A3 Sherman set

Archer M4A3 casting symbols

Def Model Wooden ration box letter decal set

Def Model Ammunition box letter decal set

Quick Wheel Sherman -Tasca set

I have starting putting it together.  Completed putting together the tub and the differential housing. 

A couple pictures but hope to do some more work today.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome aboard to LSM the friendly side of modelling forums. Great first project, as a complete Shermanolic the Asuka / Tasca Sherman’s are beautiful to build. I built their Firefly, good thing lots of spares to go into the stash. Once the Sherman bug bites, I’m up to seven now. Looking forward to see how the Eduard AM works....

• Like 4

Did a little more work. Cleaned up the wheels and individual suspension parts. 

Trying to decide two things and want to see what others think

first is the type of wheels. I was thinking of using one dish style. Figuring the actual tanks had damaged ones and would replace with whatever was available

Second, should I add the small bolts around the outer part of the wheel.  I put two on one of the wheels (the white bits in the wheel)

67BAFAC3-773A-44A1-9A16-C7D3D4ABC035.jpeg

1C573DFF-C7F8-4A55-B09C-CF0EC0D18B04.jpeg

• Like 6

I always mix the road wheels up, you’re correct that it was a case of whatever fitted at the time. You could also have open type to if you have them in the spares.....the bolts look good as well..........got a feeling they also suggest adding bolts onto the housings?.......

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Worked on the drive sprocket cleaning up the joint. Then started cleaning the MasterClub T54 tracks and put a few of them together to see if they fit in the sprocket. They fit perfectly. 

I have not used metal tracks before but these go together very easily. 

Also did some soldering of the periscope housing. Hopefully I will get to more this week. 

09835D47-53CF-4F34-96A4-804463BAB5E8.jpeg

23DAC102-6885-4FAD-9F04-BD7A07EBACE0.jpeg

936A8D63-CB2D-43A3-9BA1-52EB2F513124.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did one road wheel disc style. I figured it was enough to make it interesting but I could not find any actual pictures with a mix of road wheel types so I kept in minimal. 

The vision port holders for the periscopes does anyone know if they were painted olive drab or were natural metal?

• Like 4

This is the first time I am using the metal tracks but I find them easier to assemble than plastic tracks.  So far they stay together better too. The real test will be putting them on the model. Hoping it will be easier to get a good fit. 

• Like 7

On 6/22/2019 at 4:41 PM, Axeman said:

This is the first time I am using the metal tracks but I find them easier to assemble than plastic tracks.  So far they stay together better too. The real test will be putting them on the model. Hoping it will be easier to get a good fit. 

Any progress on the Sherman?........

• Like 4