The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

The Blue Max! Pfalz D.III

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

Apparently there is also a difference in the radiators and exhaust pipes between the real deal and the movie star..................... just curious, as no matter what scheme you choose , it is an interesting subject and will be colorful, and exciting to watch come together, I'm really into what you are going to do..... very cool project......

Hi Jeff,

I really have no plans to mess with the kit's plumbing.  I just wanna do a cool scheme.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the great support!

My first WNW build was an Albatros D.Va.  One of the things I noted was the attachment points for the control surfaces were quite frail and sometimes the gap between the two parts just looks too big:

BOyvKP.jpg

So, I've developed a strategy for early in the build:  I use tape to guide me in placing drill points to pin the surfaces later.

G8jORb.jpg

I just slice through the tape and use the tape lines to guide me.

The rear of the right aileron joint:

zsvt1M.jpg

I'll be using pins made from .5mm brass rod.

I've done some minor work on the interior, but not much to show there, yet.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Hi Jeff,

I really have no plans to mess with the kit's plumbing.  I just wanna do a cool scheme.

Well, that's cool.... I still can't wait to see what you do here, and maybe I can pick up a few skills and ideas............. it's the rigging...... that intimidates me , like many others.....  I hear you on a cool scheme..... I'm all eyes.....

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff said:

Well, that's cool.... I still can't wait to see what you do here, and maybe I can pick up a few skills and ideas............. it's the rigging...... that intimidates me , like many others.....  I hear you on a cool scheme..... I'm all eyes.....

I'll tell you what you need for rigging.  Good tweezers, lots of light, good magnification, and a way to work with your kit at eye level.  I've only rigged three models.  My first was just gluing EZ line into holes.   The second time I used Bob's Buckles and EZ line (probably easiest, but has the drawback that EZ line is flat and twists show up really well in photos).  The third time I used Stren 2# test and Bob's Buckles.

Here's #2:

C5HzyL.jpg

And #3:

XmQ20F.jpg

So, for these German fighters it's really not hard.  the British dual-line stuff....  now that's intimidating!

Another disadvantage of EZ line is that CA will run up the line and cause it to get funky curves in it.   If you keep your CA to a minimum this shouldn't happen.  Some ppl claim that threading EZ line through eyelets and tubing is difficult.  But snipping it at the end of the brass tube causes the excess to retreat into the tube leaving no disturbing nub, which is cool.

Monofilament has to be heat shrunk.  I use an incense stick so I can add rigging and remember my mom unsuccessfully hiding the smell of freshly smoked reefer at the same time.  This process needs a little patience as it's easy to be too aggressive and melt the line, or affect the wrong line.  Or, the one I haven't done yet is to shrink it too much and cause the struts of the kit to bend.  Also, you have to snip away the excess really close to the brass tube if you are using brass tubes.  I would rather use eyelets and tubes instead of drilling holes all the way through the wing and snipping it on the far side.

I also use a sharpie to darken the line both before and after adding it to the plane.

It's all easier than you think, especially with these great WNW kits.  The Roden kits need a bit more care as their struts don't have the large attachment points required for a strong bond.  My next Roden kit will see me pinning all of the struts.

Gaz

• Like 6

What a great tutorial..... the last bi-plane I 'rigged' was the old 1/28 scale Spad................. and it was many years ago,( in the '80's)  also I did the the 'old fashioned' way, using black thread, and the old bees wax trick..................... I saw the kit a few years ago in a box, and the 'rigging' is still taught, and looking as good as the day I did it ( in my mind anyway), but probably way over scale and MOST DEFINITELY NOT to today's standards, and DEFIANTLY NOT to the skill level you are showing me here..... but it was a start....... so as I am very much a novice, what is 'stren #2', is that EZ Line as well??  I guess, I should actually step into the 20th century ( no, I'm still back in the 19th right now, a long way from the 21st at least), ................... and seriously look into this and at least 'try'?? Thanks for the great tips Gaz.....  I will keep your advice for future reference   ..............  love your work.............

• Like 1

Gaz

Will be following all the way and of course, The Blue max is also one of my favorite movies. But for me, Twelve O'clock High is number one followed by Patton and then Dive Bombers.

BTW, super work on the three WNW aircraft.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DocRob said:

Now that's a cool tiny clinic about rigging. Thanks Gaz, seems I have to order some brass from Bob. BTW, which brass tube length do you chose for the German birds?

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob,

I use 3mm for the structural cables, and 2.5mm for the control cables.

Gaz

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jeff said:

What a great tutorial..... the last bi-plane I 'rigged' was the old 1/28 scale Spad................. and it was many years ago,( in the '80's)  also I did the the 'old fashioned' way, using black thread, and the old bees wax trick..................... I saw the kit a few years ago in a box, and the 'rigging' is still taught, and looking as good as the day I did it ( in my mind anyway), but probably way over scale and MOST DEFINITELY NOT to today's standards, and DEFIANTLY NOT to the skill level you are showing me here..... but it was a start....... so as I am very much a novice, what is 'stren #2', is that EZ Line as well??  I guess, I should actually step into the 20th century ( no, I'm still back in the 19th right now, a long way from the 21st at least), ................... and seriously look into this and at least 'try'?? Thanks for the great tips Gaz.....  I will keep your advice for future reference   ..............  love your work.............

HI Jeff,

Thank you!!

It seems you may have more rigging experience than me anyway, but using other methods!  I'm amazed your old Spad is still around.  I built the same kit when I was a kid, but had no way of tackling the rigging question.  Thankfully the old kit holds shape without rigging!

Stren 2 Pound test is monofilament fishing line.  The kind you'd use for little fish like Bluegills.  Probably available at any bait and tackle shop in the US.  You can use any fine monofilament fishing line, but I used Stren because I found it on EBay easily.  Here in my part of Australia there isn't a need for fine line like that because the rivers are murky, and the ocean is full of bigger beasts who are nowhere near as line-shy as Rainbow Trout.

If you're curious about Bob's Buckles, you can see more of them here:

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

He provides great service.

....though there are ppl and tutorials about making diy eyelets and tube.

Gaz

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Geez, what memories .. I mean the movie - I'm old but NOT that old!

Peter

Well...  we're all of an age here, Peter.  85% of my club members are 50+

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Sure wish I was back in my 50's

Peter

OH..................... to be 50 again .........................................and Peter NO you are NOT that old because I'M not that old................ didn't this movie come out last month???  Time sure flies................ 53 years ago...... 1966  holy.....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jeff said:

OH..................... to be 50 again .........................................and Peter NO you are NOT that old because I'M not that old................ didn't this movie come out last month???  Time sure flies................ 53 years ago...... 1966  holy.....

It really came out in 66??  Holy cow...same year as I was born.  I must have been somewhere between 10 and 13 when I saw it... 

• Like 1

That's awesome...I'm pretty sure the same plane was used in "Von RIchtofen and Brown" and was the plane in the opening credits. Roger Corman got most (if not all) of his planes from the Blue Max movie.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PeteF said:

That's awesome...I'm pretty sure the same plane was used in "Von RIchtofen and Brown" and was the plane in the opening credits. Roger Corman got most (if not all) of his planes from the Blue Max movie.

Never heard of that movie...  I’ll dig into it when I get home from work.  Hate trying to watch stuff on the phone screen.

• Like 2

With the MiG now finished, I can dive deeper into this Pfalz.

With all WNW kits, there is some interior work required before you can do much else.  So, without further ado....

OQ9V9J.jpg

The Mercedes D.III.  I'm not one for detailing things that won't be seen.  So, I added some plug wires, and lagged the intake manifold pipes.  To ensure that the lagging didn't cause a fit problem later, I thinned the manifold pipes with a file and blades then used CA to glue narrow strips of cigarette papers which were wound around.  The bits that will never be seen once the cowl is on, won't be painted at all.  WNW heresy...but what to do....

bB9TRj.jpg

The machine gun ammo container and the exhaust pipe.  I have read that the German exhausts of the period were made with a copper alloy.  I will use washes to give it a burnt metal look. 

XRqpU4.jpg

A set of cockpit photos.  I did the interior rigging with monofilament.  Made a seat cushion with milliput.  All of the instruments have decals which really make the cockpit nicer.  I used HGW fabric belts for the first time.  I can tell you that it won't be the last!  The deck beneath the pilots seat is my stab at a light stained plywood.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 4