Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

Jeff

Finally a Float Plane thread...lets post some pics

OK................ since I was the guy who suggested to Hubert that we should have a float plane thread ages ago, I had better be the guy to get it started.... I have a number of pics, mostly Canadian and American birds , Beavers,  Otters etc.... and even some Norsemen...............

so here goes.... this first pic is of a Beaver and Tracy, she is the pilot of this airplane from Taquan Air in Ketchikan Alaska

Tracy and Beaver - June 2017.jpg

• Like 9

CF-OBS flew for the Ontario Government, those tanks on the side of the floats were used for 'fire bombing'............... not much but better than nothing

OrvF1sbh.jpg

• Like 7

Here is a Trans-Provincial Air Grumman Goose, pic taken at Stewart British Columbia about 1965 by Hank Sands a former Helicopter pilot who wrote an excellent book about helicopter operations in Northern B.C. called A Wolf's Moon....

goose-2585x1720-58.jpg

• Like 8

Not to be pedantic, but we have already a mix of floatplanes, flying boats andamphibians ;)...

As I am right now on seat 1A of an Easyjet flight to Lisbon, i can’t post any pic (yet), but it sure is a cool thread to have :thumbsup2:

Hubert

• Like 4

This is a QCA Norseman, Queen Charlote Airlines flew on the west coast of British Columbia and a REAL good book was written about that adventure called An Accidental Airline  available here

http://www.harbourpublishing.com/title/TheAccidentalAirline

worth every penny and lucky it's still available, I have bought from these guys and they are excellent, if anyone is interested.............

0adf5980-3b00-4f62-b025-bd93ba7056bb-A13097.jpg

• Like 4

I almost missed him, he was ripping along, this Super Cub just took off from the China River near Fairbanks Alaska, this was a hard pic to take...

Float_plane_demonstration_take-off.jpg

• Like 6

A buddy of mine and me  flew on THIS Beaver after a full on all you can eat Crab Feast in Ketchikan Alaska............... awesome feast and yes beer too, and a fabulous flight over the mountains and landing on the water back in town......

8.jpg

Edited by Jeff
add a detail
  • Like 4

I'm sorry but that first picture could lead to some highly dubious replies but I shall refrain. 

I'll just say that there are some cool pics here, especially that Super Cub. Good reactions Jeff!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GusMac said:

I'm sorry but that first picture could lead to some highly dubious replies but I shall refrain. 

I'll just say that there are some cool pics here, especially that Super Cub. Good reactions Jeff!

Oh Geez you're right I NEVER would have thought of that:rolleyes: NOT me....

• Like 3

I kept it quiet , waiting who's gonna comment of Tracy's beaver :D

Great article here

FirstLove50.jpg

• Like 4

I was in Oregon two weeks ago, got a private flight deck tour of this monster, what a machine!

20190409_114350.jpg

20190409_114353.jpg

Capture0002-13343.jpg

• Like 6

Russian has a long and rich history in building float planes .

bf164bddcddb94132f8e345a11b7ada5.jpg

• Like 3

It floats...  it swims...  did somebody say catapult??

BV138-36f.jpg

I know it's not really pretty...  but it was a pretty cool plane.   

Gaz

• Like 4

BTW...  why dem Canucks gotta keep using the name Beaver.

...you know where my mind goes....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daywalker said:

I was in Oregon two weeks ago, got a private flight deck tour of this monster, what a machine!

20190409_114350.jpg

20190409_114353.jpg

Capture0002-13343.jpg

Good to see you buddy ! You should see the pics of me, Ernie and Martin on our "tour" of the pit !

• Like 3