Jump to content

Largescale IAR 81C Coming Soon


Recommended Posts

I am planning a few bits and pieces for it. It is my usual "not the usual" kind of stuff. :-)

 

I did not really give up my I.A.R. because of this. The version I was planning was different anyway so there would have been plenty of room for two kits on the market. The main thing that halted the work on my model was chronic shortage of time as I had to dedicate more and more time to earning a living. There is still a faint hope that I may do it.

 

Radu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I am planning a few bits and pieces for it. It is my usual "not the usual" kind of stuff. :-)

 

I did not really give up my I.A.R. because of this. The version I was planning was different anyway so there would have been plenty of room for two kits on the market. The main thing that halted the work on my model was chronic shortage of time as I had to dedicate more and more time to earning a living. There is still a faint hope that I may do it.

 

Radu

    Radu,

I'm glad to hear your I.A.R isn't forgotten. I well remember following your thread elsewhere several years ago for this one. Didn't your Father carve the masters? At any rate I'll be looking forward to your  IAR's release. Long on my list of Must Have kits.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow,  I take a two year break to play with trains, and all of a sudden, there are more 32nd scale kits out there of subjects I would NEVER have though we'd see in large scale :lol: 

 

Coolishness....... B) 

 

Cheers,   Ian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

    Radu,

I'm glad to hear your I.A.R isn't forgotten. I well remember following your thread elsewhere several years ago for this one. Didn't your Father carve the masters? At any rate I'll be looking forward to your  IAR's release. Long on my list of Must Have kits.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

 

Hi Gregory,

Yes, my father carved the wooden masters that were used to vacform the airframe shells.

I have been tinkering with my patterns slowly, I never really gave up. I was never put off by the "rumour" of another kit being released - for me, my kit was a personal quest, I never looked at it as a major source of income, so "competition" was never a factor. For the record, here is the story why "I gave up" (or not...): when I started, I was using the drawings puyblished in Modelism in 1989. At that time, I did not have a large-format printer, so I enlarged the drawings to 1/32 and printed whatever could fit onto a regular A4 page (such as the fuselage and a wing). So, I worked on the patterns using only half of the drawings, presuming that the drawings were symmetrical. As it turns out, things just were not aligning properly and lots of issues kept cropping up. Soon, it became obvious that the drawings featured some strange discrepancies between one half and the other as well as a few geometric anomalies. So, I decided to make my own drawings. I gathered data, photos, manuals, references, and started working.  By chance, I mentioned this to Mike Robinson, the the chief-editor of SAM Publications, and he suggested that maybe this data could be put together into a book. He told, me: "make it as big as you wish, we may print it in a couple of volumes". So I embarked on the biggest distraction that took me away from the kit: I wrote a very large tome (an estimate of about 400 pages) and before I knew it I put about 1000 hours in creating drawings of every possible version of the I.A.R.80/81. The book was eventually published by SAM Publications as a 128-page book (by that stage Mike was no longer with SAM Publications). Armed with the new information that I uncovered, I began the major job of correcting the work I already completed on my kit (and was shown on the internet). A lot of it was thrown out. Most of what was kept was changed. I stopped posting photos on the internet, but anyway the model as it is now is completely different. So, in brief, I did not "give up" on my I.A.R.80 project. The best comparison is the "wine is sour" scene in The Agony and the Ecstasy. So, my plan is to correct my patterns and make a kit that is as correct and as detailed as possible. Technically, I am about 100 hours from completing it. I just need to find those 100 hours... :mellow:

I may make a very limited run of it, possibly 200 or 250  items altogether.

Radu

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...