The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RSO Radschlepper Ost - Having a Break

2 hours ago, Jackster said:

One of the reasons I love this Forum is the great historical knowledge, I am always learning something new. Fantastic choice Rob!

Thanks Kev, I often have a soft spot for not too common subjects.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 5

Enough chatting :), first parts are glued. The engine is a kit in itself, consisting more than 40 parts. Quality of the kit is very good so far with good fit and some necessary cleanup. Attachment points are not always wisely chosen and some joint points are not fitting sizewise, but that's only minor stuff. On the other hand there are nice solutions used like adhesive foil on the PE-fret, which makes cutting easier and the risk of loosing parts to the carpet monster is reduced. 

Cheers Rob

P1150108.thumb.JPG.552477455ca36e110b7c8d324373f840.JPG

P1150109.thumb.JPG.17ff608f7d093446c499ba31d5aa3c8e.JPG

P1150110.thumb.JPG.27a581a2aeb81f10d7c4ad71a0252d56.JPG

P1150111.thumb.JPG.fb0a0fac470dec963d675c20eca0f2db.JPG

• Like 8

Hola Hombres,

Today after lots of sun and surfing the last days, it was overcast, so a perfect day for some benchtime. I managed to finish the engine and most parts of the chassis are assembled. The kit is a gem, lots of detail, clever material mix and good fit. Another thing, I really like about the kit is, that you can steer the front wheels to add some 'drama'. Cleanup could be a little bit less for my taste and some of the locator pins don't fit to well, but that's not a biggie. The chassis-frame though is a bit warped, and I didn't check in advance. I bent as much as possible and the rest will be 'adjusted' with the ground of the dio. Last work for today was to drill 160 :icon_eek: 1mm holes into the steel wheels. Sounds bad, but wasn't, it took only 10 minutes with a micro drill.

Cheers Rob

P1150113.thumb.JPG.e959b657dc7d4843fb23b932155555cd.JPG

P1150112.thumb.JPG.83a1ab1da1fe2680a81b59bb11540af4.JPG

P1150114.thumb.JPG.2fe413d65afe400bf375eabc7814c3f9.JPG

P1150115.thumb.JPG.ca30f936882427f09d7afee87d84ee8c.JPG

P1150116.thumb.JPG.fb4926bf3e331787f54d558289e790e5.JPG

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Jeff said:

Looking really good Rob

Thanks Jeff, today I finalized the frame and added the winch and some minor aggregates. The engine is not glued onto the frame, because I will prime and airbrush these subassemblies separately. In the next steps I will determine if I show the engine by dry fitting the hood and decide, how much love I will pour on the engine.

Cheers Rob

P1150117.thumb.JPG.4e2c5b6d0c9338df23819ca7a5d1b68e.JPG

• Like 6

I finished the wheels and brakes, phew, I managed to clean the brake rods without breaking them. The crew must have been lucky to have no air filled rubber wheels, as changing a wheel/tire would have been an exhausting task, given the size of the wheels.

Cheers Rob

P1150118.thumb.JPG.0da202ac8c9263c19242c3bdf3158004.JPG

P1150120.thumb.JPG.6cb32863a19445a9b37c21e6eb7184f2.JPG

• Like 7

Holy..................sure looks like a good fit...... by 'brake rods' do you mean the push rods from the brake chambers ( is thing on air?) or long brake rods from the cab? The Merit M19 truck was on air and very small brake chambers and push rods to fiddle with... looks cool when done though I will say..... is that the kit 'cable? I assume you know that if you want to 'tighten up' that 'cable' you can run it over some Bees Wax, and it will hold it's shape for years, and won't collect dust.............. I tried that on some rigging for a Spad I did back in the 80's and it is still perfect...... but I'm sure you know that already................

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Looking really good Rob, I still can't get over those steel rims

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

The wheels remind me of farming tractors used in the US before the event of large rubber tires.

Thanks guys, these wheels are something special, but hey, no more tire pressure checking, and driven through a tight corner with max speed (15 km/h) on tarmac will lead to sparks flying around :D.

9 hours ago, Jeff said:

Holy..................sure looks like a good fit...... by 'brake rods' do you mean the push rods from the brake chambers ( is thing on air?) or long brake rods from the cab? The Merit M19 truck was on air and very small brake chambers and push rods to fiddle with... looks cool when done though I will say..... is that the kit 'cable? I assume you know that if you want to 'tighten up' that 'cable' you can run it over some Bees Wax, and it will hold it's shape for years, and won't collect dust.............. I tried that on some rigging for a Spad I did back in the 80's and it is still perfect...... but I'm sure you know that already................

Yeah Jeff, it's a great kit, the fit is good with the exception of alignment points, these tend to have some tolerance, fit wise. By break rods I meant the mechanical push rods for the breaks, which are about 10cm long, thin and attached to the sprue with six or seven attachment points. Not too easy to clean up without breaking them.

Bee wax sounds good for the provided cord, never thought about it, but use the stuff sometimes for my hair to get a decent look :icon_eek: and might try it for the cable. Tamiya extra thin works good with the cord as well.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

What a beast there Rob. Glad to hear the fit has been good.

It is a beast Carl, and Gaz is right about the comparison to early Us tractors, true heavy metal :unworthy:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Decisions, decisions, I attached some of the major components loosely, to decide, how much of the engine will be shown. The good side is, that general fit of the parts seem to be really good. I tend to close the hood of the engine, because I will let at least the driver door and the front window open and the open engine hood shows only parts of the power plant. 

Another decision to be made is the paint scheme. At first I was sure to do a tri tone camo on dunkelgelb, but am not that sure anymore. The grey fits better to the vehicle. Were there grey RSO's deployed around D-Day?

Cheers Rob

The main components are not glued yet, that's why it looks like a Hommage to the stage design of 'The Cabinet of Dr. Caligary' with it's weird angles :D

P1150121.thumb.JPG.656b1fe67140f2eb24ec938ff7296ff4.JPG

• Like 7