The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RSO Radschlepper Ost - Having a Break

8 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

A quick note Rob, the orientation of the thread of the front wheels should be the same as the rears

Thanks Martin, but the wheels are only temporary mounted, but good from you to mention. Now I wont forget while finally assembling.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Little things slowing the pace of the build, literally. I finished the loading compartment and adding the little PE-details proved time intense and eyeball testing :icon_eek:.

One thing helped a lot, PE-sheets on adhesive foil makes live easier. For the tiny hooks I used a 1mm brass rod for bending. I hope the little hooks will stay in place while airbrushing.

Cheers Rob

Final result

IMG_6252.thumb.JPG.194114273860c1cedf48b4151801a9a6.JPG

The way to get there

IMG_6246.thumb.JPG.372e7da91ee0463608af3fba4e16e57f.JPG

IMG_6247.thumb.JPG.ef52d61901a0ba4c0dc3cf1639edaae2.JPG

IMG_6248.thumb.JPG.f5b25c19533f8e12dfe483ac36cd1a50.JPG

IMG_6250.thumb.JPG.38a31cdcb7a68eed97b087bc9b72945d.JPG

• Like 5

On 6/12/2019 at 1:43 AM, DocRob said:

Another decision to be made is the paint scheme. At first I was sure to do a tri tone camo on dunkelgelb, but am not that sure anymore. The grey fits better to the vehicle. Were there grey RSO's deployed around D-Day.

P1150121.thumb.JPG.656b1fe67140f2eb24ec938ff7296ff4.JPG

If you choose to believe wiki, none of the RSO's served in the Ost.  Who could argue with your choice?

Gary

• Like 5

13 hours ago, GazzaS said:

If you choose to believe wiki, none of the RSO's served in the Ost.  Who could argue with your choice?

Yes Gary, that's what I think too. The manual shows four different vehicles from 1944 with only one namely put into the Normandy area in three tone camo.
Primarily I thought tri tone, but while building; I changed my mind, because the grey is fitting better to the RSO's appearance, is a nicer base for intense weathering  and will be of more contrast in a dio.(naturally tri tone isn't ;)). 

11 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Interesting detail is the grey interior and inside of the stowage boxes.

The manual is a bit vague about the interior colors and your pic is of great help concerning the stowage boxes and cabin Interieur. I was thinking dark grey too for those areas. I show one of the boxes half open, because the guy shaving himself in front of the RSO is picking his stuff from there.

Interesting is the inner lid of the stowage boxes doors in your pic, where I thought it's not detail, but moulded for a correct fit and was about to remove.

The base color in your pic seems to be Dunkelgelb (German dark yellow) without camo, another option, but again lacks of contrast.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Lots of tiny details where added to many of the subassemblies, specially in the front fender and hood section. The provided PE-sheet is not that big, but keeps me busy with lots of tiny parts. The moulding of the cowlings is superb, you can look through the very fine cooling slots.

IMG_6257.thumb.JPG.30b3ef3c1db31091f02d8ebe93fbdfb2.JPG

Another part of the build, I was a little afraid of, where the cabin door windows. As my setting is a summer setting these should be open, in case of the RSO that seems to mean half open, which meant, I had to cut the clear parts. To do so i marked the sawing line with Tamiya tape and used Dynotape as a guide for the saw. That worked good like you can see on the left side of the picture. The next question is, do I mask the windows, or do I use marker for the sealings or do I use them as they are. I will dry fit and see then.

IMG_6256.thumb.JPG.53417f78787b2fe1ba9b6adcc5c00c49.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking amazing Rob, I know what you mean about tiny PE parts, man the thee eyes.............

Beware of the "thee eyes".........harv:rofl:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking amazing Rob, I know what you mean about tiny PE parts, man the thee eyes.............

Tonight it's open air rock concert and drinks for 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete' and a Paella before, to gain enough strength and relaxing those old eyeballs, while looking at the sunset :icon_eek::D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

hat first picture somewhat reminds me about the famous Tatra 111 :)

In the sideview there are similarities, but the general dimensions and front design are a complete other pair of shoes. To open the Tatra, you lift the whole thing, while with the RSO you fold the upper part in the middle and then you can dismount the sides. That dinosaur engine of the RSO looks like maintenance is not often on the schedule. It's big, mean and simple.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

That front clip looks great!  Wouldn't the 'sealings' around the windows actually be metal?  I know that was done on some older cars.  I'm kinda thinking that by 42' they would have become quite parsimonious with it.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Wouldn't the 'sealings' around the windows actually be metal?

After inspecting the pics closely it seems that the front windows have a rubber (or kind of putty) sealing which often seemed to be overpainted with the body color.
The side windows of the cabins seem to be a combination of metal around the panes and rubber on the doorframe.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I primed the major components of the RSO and it took a lot of time, because there were lots of parts to prepare. I used AK's rust primer thinned with Mr. Leveling thinner (for the first time) and it worked great, at least with this primer. I wanted to use black Vallejo primer for the engine and the mix turned tar like and I had to remove parts of my airbrush for cleaning, which I never saw before :wacko:. I wanted no more experiments and took a sip from my last can of Tamiya primer (not available to me anymore, sigh, loved that stuff).

Next step is decision time, do I use hairspray (for the RSO not for me) for weathering and the final word has to be spoken about the camo, but I tend to Panzergrau.

Cheers Rob

P1150122.thumb.JPG.130b2d7b0dcbe9d3df8efc3424bb71b4.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Gaz's Glenfiddich and Coke

My toenails are crimping, I'm a cocktail addict. Mix drinks of the twenties and thirties of the last century are my passion. Before  I mix Coke with Scotch, I will die drinking levelling thinner and black primer forming tar like lumps in my inner organs :nuke: :D

Cheers or not Rob

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Scotch just don't taste good

I toast to that with a 'Smoke of Scotland', Some Lagavulin with a whiff of elderflower and Cynar accompanied with some dry Martini, one of the rare possible single malt cocktails, definitely better than Mr. Leveller :rofl::wine: 

Cheers (and I mean it) Rob

• Like 2