The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Restarting my Blue Wingnut, on the shelf for a year.

10 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Mark and Tony, you’ll need to give me pointers. I have several of these and have never built one. Or a D.l

I keep going back to the aircraft with a massive web of rigging. :/

I don't think you will have any problems, but this has given me fits with fit and assembly, some of the issues are caused by me, but its hard to get it right when the paint itself throws everything out of whack. 

Strangely, the Snipe I built went together so much easier. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

Thank you for the complimant, but...

No, its not. I hate decals, and the extreme amount of decals means I have quite a few crappy areas. Aviattic decals came out OK on all the top surfaces, but silvered on the bottoms, and the Wingnut decals are about as compliant as the DMV. Once again, these decals are fighting me all the way. I will never do another Lozenge decal plane again! I would do masks before another. I am finishing this, but I don't think its NATS worthy. 

Then, your camera skills???  Seriously, to me the decals look great, I don't see any imperfections, but I'm not looking at it with as critical eye as you do, and yes, I think it is very much Nats worthy.............

The issues you mention don't show on the pics. Isn't it always like this, the flaws of ones kit are mostly known only to the builder. I can understand you not liking decals, it's the same with me and I have my Lozenge covered Fokker ahead of me :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Yes, its hard to tell, but I know that judges will see it. I will probably enter both my wingnuts anyway, as the entrance fee includes as many models as you want. For what its worth, the Wingnut decals were more opaque and dont show silvering as much as Aviattic. Im not sure why such a difference from the top to the bottom of the wings as they were both printed on the same sheet. At this point, I am 95% done and I'm going to finish it either way.

Edit: One thing I thought of, possibly my gloss coat on the top was smoother than the bottoms? 

• Like 2

I think it looks fantastic Mark.  From the pictures the decals look great to me as does the rest of the build.  I think you might be surprised what the judges do and dont see.  I can point out about 10 things on my P-40 that should have knocked it out but for some reason they didn't notice.  If your gonna have a problem area, the bottom is the best place!

• Like 1