The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Asuka/Tasca Sherman III

• Members
9 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I thought we needed something Olive Drab in here. Plus Asuka Sherman's just fall together. 

I'm trying to find a Tamiya Firefly for a decent price, if I track one down I'll do it.  Black Dog doe some great resin stuff for the kit.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mikester said:

I'm trying to find a Tamiya Firefly for a decent price, if I track one down I'll do it.  Black Dog doe some great resin stuff for the kit.

Mike, the Tamiya Firefly is the Tasca one reboxed with some Tamiya figures in it. They're really hard to find these days though. 

Tamiya reboxed the Firefly and the Easy Eight Shermans. They then came out with their own Easy Eight a couple years later. I've got both in the stash as they were cheaper than the Asuka boxing's at the time. 

Going the other way, Asuka has an M4A3 coming out with Tamiya figures. 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10616980

• Like 3

• Members
2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Mike, the Tamiya Firefly is the Tasca one reboxed with some Tamiya figures in it. They're really hard to find these days though. 

Tamiya reboxed the Firefly and the Easy Eight Shermans. They then came out with their own Easy Eight a couple years later. I've got both in the stash as they were cheaper than the Asuka boxing's at the time. 

Going the other way, Asuka has an M4A3 coming out with Tamiya figures. 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10616980

Carl, thanks that's good info.  So is the Asuka kit the same as the Tasca as well?  Lots of Dragon kits on Ebay, not sure how it stacks up though.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mikester said:

Carl, thanks that's good info.  So is the Asuka kit the same as the Tasca as well?  Lots of Dragon kits on Ebay, not sure how it stacks up though.

Tasca had a name change to Asuka for some reason so they're one and the same. 

• Like 3

On 6/30/2019 at 7:10 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

Well, it's Canada Day long weekend. So there's been lots of time to work on tracks...

....joy!

IMG_20190629_222303-L.jpg

These are AFV Club T48 tracks. They're supposed to be press fit and workable after assembly. The first time I tried them they did indeed press fit together. Unfortunately, they would also fall apart as fast as you assembled them.

So this time I did a couple things differently. First I painted them prior to assembly hoping that the paint on the pins would tighten the fit up. Next, if the link was still a bit loose, I would use PVA glue on the pins. I figured that will further tighten the fit but still allow some movement. 

Both techniques made the assembly go together much better. And faster.

IMG_20190629_214523-L.jpg

I got one side done Friday night 

MVIMG_20190629_140958-L.jpg

I finished off the second one last night.

IMG_20190630_095243-L.jpg

So now to start on the small details. 

Carl.................... you're build speed is much like John B's.................. you guys are machines !  This is looking really good..... LOVE what you did the the tracks..............smart thinking for sure.........

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Didn’t realise that Tamiya were re-boxing the Tasca moulds, very cool.........

Only the two kits above. Their more recent Easy Eight kits (including the Israeli ones) are 100% Tamiya. 

I'm still trying to figure out why they did it. I know Tamiya has re-boxed Revell in the past and still does with Italeri (they're the Japanese distributor) but it's the first time I'd seen them repackage a Japanese brand.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Carl, looking really nice........this baby needs to get dirty though.........:o

9 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Nice, clean work as always Carl.

It does look a bit too factory fresh doesn't it?

Ok, maybe a bit of dirt once I get the decals on. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Nice.........:).........anymore?

A bit more...

IMG_20190803_111511-L.jpg

IMG_20190803_111530-L.jpg

I've started on some spare track links for the front since it wouldn't be a British Sherman without some.

IMG_20190803_113310-L.jpg

IMG_20190803_113728-L.jpg

Although the Canadians seem to be the ones  who really took mounting extra tracks to a while new level. 

• Like 3