The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

12.SS Panther Ausf. D "219", Normandie June 1944

Its time for my clubs annual Build the Same Kit competition, and the Armour subject is Meng's Panther Family. Which works out great as it ties in nicely with the GB here!

Meng's fantastic Panther Ausf. D kit built as '219' of I./SS-Pz.Rgt 12 in Fonteny-le-Pesnil area of Normandy sometime between 9-11 June 1944. Huge thanks to Sam Dwyer, who has been more than helpful, pointing me in the right directions and the discussion in 219 ridge-less zimmerit. Zimmerit was added by using Tamiya's Polyester 2 part putty, slapped with an old toothbrush. The tracks are MasterClub, and Meng's Suspension kit has been used, which will help to get that weighted sit once a base is made for it. Still have a few tools, cables and chains to fit, and chipping of some zimmerit areas. But it's getting closer to paint.

Ba'sz Photo collage of '219' on Flickr - https://flic.kr/p/rqgrMY

16683528550_a791e77258_b.jpg

48111964093_92ec2246ea_b.jpg

48111924091_75f7e06240_b.jpg

48111963543_80593246be_b.jpg

48112027262_8a767ae36c_b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Is there a link to the discussion on the zimmerit? I have tried searching it and none of the articles I've found so far about this Panther are mentioning it being ridgeless. When I look at the pics I feel I can see some type of pattern (especially on the turret) but the pics aren't clear or close enough to the vehicle for me to be 100%.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Is there a link to the discussion on the zimmerit? I have tried searching it and none of the articles I've found so far about this Panther are mentioning it being ridgeless. When I look at the pics I feel I can see some type of pattern (especially on the turret) but the pics aren't clear or close enough to the vehicle for me to be 100%.

@[CAT]CplSladeNo there isn't anything posted on the internet, just Sam and I chatting in Facebook Messenger. But basically there is proof that Zimmerit was applied in 2 coats at the factory. Sam's theory is 219 didn’t have ridges as such, and that 219 only got the first layer of zim.  But that's his unproven theory that some went out with only 1 layer. As It looks like only the foundation layer in those images.

• Like 3

Is it possible, and this is off the top of my head without knowing any stats on this Panther, that it was part of a batch being finished up when the order to cease applying zimmerit came through? They had started the process, and since zimmerit was no longer a requirement chose to field some semi-completed Panthers rather than waste time on applying more paste?

That it something I would do if there were no objections from higher up, for the sake of expedience.

• Like 3