The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Airfix 1/24 F6F-5 Hellcat

Clunkmeister

• Administrators
8 hours ago, jsontag said:

Fantastic review. Does this come with two sets of wings for folded or unfolded, as that's what it looks like to me.

THANKS!  I have a different view on reviews; I like to give some Sprue shots and my first impressions of a kit. Y’all then provide, through conversation, the details. Not a lot of trash talk happens here, which is good. :)  IMHO, y’all know much more than I do, especially as a group of modelers.

The kit itself provides three options:

1. In Flight, wheels up.

2. On Ground, unfolded, flaps extended.

3. On Ground, all folded up.

The engine cowl panels, canopy, and gun service panels can be modeled open or closed.    My PERSONAL preference is for closed panels and ready for flight, so we’ll soon see if the panels fit closed. :)

I’m extremely drawn to the FAA version even though the Corsair and Martlet are what I see when I think round engine FAA wartime birds. I’m really not a fan of all GSB.  So look for some Royal Navy camo on the horizon here. If Airfix gives us a -3, then it’ll be tri color US Navy.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As I work myself into building this thing, many issues are coming to the forefront. Fit problems, many sink holes, incorrect color call-outs, poorly done main wheels, no metal plate detail over the outboard flaps, no 2.75” rockets and rails for the FAA Hellcat; just to name a few.  This is why in-box reviews don’t tell the whole story.  I’d rate this model kit as mediocre.  Impressive in size and details, but as with other Airfix kits it requires a lot of work to turn it into a decent display piece.  

• Like 3

On 7/20/2019 at 1:55 AM, Randy said:

As I work myself into building this thing, many issues are coming to the forefront. Fit problems, many sink holes, incorrect color call-outs, poorly done main wheels, no metal plate detail over the outboard flaps, no 2.75” rockets and rails for the FAA Hellcat; just to name a few.  This is why in-box reviews don’t tell the whole story.  I’d rate this model kit as mediocre.  Impressive in size and details, but as with other Airfix kits it requires a lot of work to turn it into a decent display piece.  

As someone else who is building this kit and FAA at that. Yes there are problems the fit is tight yes but it's easier to loosen a tight fit than tighten a loose fit. Incorrect colour call outs are not the domain of airfix alone, this is why we research, its a bit of a mystery considering the people involved in this why it's wrong but it is. Not come across any sink holes in mine and for that I was surprised as this is the first airfix kit I have bought in the last ten years without a problem. Wheels on Hellcats seem to be a problem across manufacturers as I remember eduard have to put resin wheels in their 1/48 kits because the plastic ones are too narrow. The kit has its plus points. And is certainly buildable its down to the builder how much work they put into the extras like some of those on here. As for the flaps I have to say I had no idea and at a guess I'd say the details like that were taken from a warbird rather than an example of an original so it could be that they are missing from the example they looked at and LIDAR scanned (This has caused airfix issues in the past, they LIDAR scanned the Bristol Bolingbroke at the RAF museum Hendon to produce the blenheim iv which has no side blister windows, the original did, not an easy fix). My veiw is it's a good kit and in the in box review I did I talked about its shortcomings in my veiw and this is the thing with reviews they are the reviewers honest opinion. Airfix's problems come from a couple of areas. 

1, the plastic they use and its soapy nature this can cause fit issues particularly with tight engineering tolerances. 

2, producing their kits in India, the kit is a marvel of engineering that has been put in the hands of a piece worker being paid a fraction of pence per part moulded, why should he care whether the parts are warped, short shot or full of sink holes if he stops the machine to get it sorted he's out of money, particularly a "toy  aeroplane" 

These problems could be sorted by hornby and it's a source of frustration to the kit designers that this happens but as long as people keep buying the kits why would the head honchos change? 

Me? I'm loving it for what it is. A big old monogram kit without bells and whistles that goes together OK. Could it be improved? Yes there are lots of things that should be in the box that are now aftermarket but you pay your money and take your choice.

The UK tends to look at Airfix through rose tinted specs and every new release in the UK of an airfix kit (especially the umpteenth bloody spitfire) get rave reviews. I take a more critical view however and believe that other manufacturers are doing it better and cheaper, apart from this kit, it's unique and Airfix are to be congratulated for it. 

• Like 7

• Administrators
On 7/23/2019 at 5:33 AM, Wingco57 said:

Considering your opinion I rate this kit unbuildable.:ph34r:

Cees

As the Grand Puffti of all things pufftyish, I Hereby declare us all to be...........

KIT ASSEMBLERS!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Is a Grand Puffti similar to a Grand Pubah as in Fred Flinstone parlance?

Similar yes, but because I'm physically quite puffy, puffed up, puffyish, and of general puffy character, I have ordained myself as Grand Puffti, long may I reign.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...