Jump to content

Airfix 1/24 F6F-5 Hellcat (doing it as a F6F-3)


Recommended Posts

Well here goes. This is a pretty impressive model as has been stated before in reviews of this kit you have to follow the instructions to make sure you're building it the way you want, that is  in flight. On the ground wings deployed or on the ground wings folded.

  Ok lets start. I'm going to jump ahead a little to show the fuel tanks I'm making so when you look through the wing structure you can see them instead of a big void. Here are some pictures.

 

 

20190701_161549.jpgthis tells sbout the fuel tanks on the Hellcat.

20190701_161614.jpgthis is the center section temporarily put together

20190701_161649.jpgthis is the center section with the port fuel tank that I scratch built out of .04" plastic card.

20190701_161629.jpgthis is the fuel tank by its self.

20190701_161726.jpgthis is looking through the wing structure.

20190701_162040.jpganother view through the wing.

20190701_162100.jpganother view. 

Thanks for looking 

Ron G 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey Ernie 

 First I need to finish the bulid for the P&W R-2800-10W that goes in this kit. I already have an Airscale instrument panel set for it. I just purchased a 1/24 scale HGW p-51 seatbelt set for it (they were the same as the hellcat just a different color. I got a set of Master brass barrels for a 1/24 P-47 that I my use on it, the ones with no holes we'll see how it goes. 

Ron G 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Ron,

I’ve heard the engine is a real gem in this kit. From what I see on the sprues, I tend to agree. Ive got my Airscale goodies coming, and am going to gram the Master barrels as well.  I’m kind of torn on schemes, but FAA probably for me, although I’ve also started looking at racer schemes as well.  Just no GSB for me, I’ve got a Panther that’ll be GSB already.  :) 

You’ll give a clinic on this I expect. I’m looking forward to sitting back and learning.

E

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Ron,

I’ve heard the engine is a real gem in this kit. From what I see on the sprues, I tend to agree. Ive got my Airscale goodies coming, and am going to gram the Master barrels as well.  I’m kind of torn on schemes, but FAA probably for me, although I’ve also started looking at racer schemes as well.  Just no GSB for me, I’ve got a Panther that’ll be GSB already.  :) 

You’ll give a clinic on this I expect. I’m looking forward to sitting back and learning.

E

Hey Ernie 

  It is a gem and will be really stunning when it is done, but it does have its flaws. Check out my other two posts on how to do the engine I think you will find them informative.

Ron G 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey all

 Just a little  heads up. If you are doing your big Cat as a Marine land based plane don't forget to use the correct rear wheel/tire. It's the one on sprue 'L'  parts L31 the pneumatic one, NOT parts L32, which are the hard rubber ones used on Navy carrier based Hellcats. 

20190713_112533.jpg

Also this came in the mail today from Eduard.

20190713_134102.jpgEngine detail set and inner and outer canopy masks.

20190713_132822.jpgThese also came from Gaspatch. Accurately done .50 Cal. Machine guns for the Hellcat.:DB):piliot:

Ron G 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a small update. I received these in the mail a few days ago. They are 1/24 scale valve stems, they are actually for detailing 1/24 scale cars, but work on planes too.

20190719_150640.jpg

20190719_145958.jpgShot of the Hellcat wheel and tire.

20190719_145929.jpgClose up of the valve stem. I hope someone like Barracuda will make a set of tires for this kit because the ones that come in the kit aren't very impressive. Also the outer wheel cover is missing some detail. It's very noticeable if you look at the real thing you will see what I mean.

Ron G 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, I'm progressing slowly. Still working on the engine area. I  have the engine halfs finally painted and detailed. Still have to do the ignition leads. I'm only putting spark plugs on the front side of the front bank and the  rear side of the rear bank. The rest you really can't see that well because they are covered by the baffles. You can see photos on my post for how to do the P&W R-2800-10W #2.

Ron G 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Just a small update. I received these in the mail a few days ago. They are 1/24 scale valve stems, they are actually for detailing 1/24 scale cars, but work on planes too.

20190719_150640.jpg

20190719_145958.jpgShot of the Hellcat wheel and tire.

20190719_145929.jpgClose up of the valve stem. I hope someone like Barracuda will make a set of tires for this kit because the ones that come in the kit aren't very impressive. Also the outer wheel cover is missing some detail. It's very noticeable if you look at the real thing you will see what I mean.

Ron G 

I purchased a set of resin wheels from Jerry Rutman.  They're for a 1/24 Mustang, but they're the same size as those on the Hellcat and the hubs are separate pieces so the Airfix hubs will fit inside.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Randy said:

I purchased a set of resin wheels from Jerry Rutman.  

 

:1051927712:Randy, always good to see new faces. Looking forward to seeing your Hellcat. The good thing about here it’s THE friendliest and laid back modelling site on the inter web..........

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Randy said:

I purchased a set of resin wheels from Jerry Rutman.  They're for a 1/24 Mustang, but they're the same size as those on the Hellcat and the hubs are separate pieces so the Airfix hubs will fit inside.

Hey Randy 

 Could you tell what diameter and width of those tires are please. Are they the same size as the kit ones?

Ron G 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Randy 

 Could you tell what diameter and width of those tires are please. Are they the same size as the kit ones?

Ron G 

Ron...................................... how strong are your glasses?????????????????:rofl:I have to admit, the valve stems look really cool.....and it is the little details like that , that make ALL the difference

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Ron...................................... how strong are your glasses?????????????????:rofl:I have to admit, the valve stems look really cool.....and it is the little details like that , that make ALL the difference

Hey Jeff 

  It's called 3:00 dioptor reading glasses and the strongest opti-visor...lol and it's getting to the point that that ain't strong enough.:blink::hsmack:;)

Ron G 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Ron, those valve stems look spectacular on the wheels! Superb!

But honestly, at first when you posted the pic of the package, I thought you took a picture of and were waxing poetic on an empty package.

I momentarily contemplated calling EMS to check on you...  then I scrolled down.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey all

 Just sent an email to Aerocraft Models requesting that he make a set of landing gear for the Hellcat. The ones in the kit are pretty flimsy. Nige has a video on YouTube on how to strengthen them but it takes alot of hand drilling and some wont be comfortable doing that.

Ron G 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

great progress, thank you for sharing with us

one question on the guns though: surely metal barrels from someone like Master will look much more convincing?

the Gaspatch breaches I am sure will be an improvement on the kit parts, but I just don't think moulding technology renders barrels with perforations on the cooling jackets very well

this is (imho) only magnified in 1/24...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2019 at 9:09 PM, CrankyCrafstman said:

Just a small update. I received these in the mail a few days ago. They are 1/24 scale valve stems, they are actually for detailing 1/24 scale cars, but work on planes too.

20190719_150640.jpg

20190719_145958.jpgShot of the Hellcat wheel and tire.

20190719_145929.jpgClose up of the valve stem. I hope someone like Barracuda will make a set of tires for this kit because the ones that come in the kit aren't very impressive. Also the outer wheel cover is missing some detail. It's very noticeable if you look at the real thing you will see what I mean.

Ron G 

Awesome

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...