The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Airfix 1/24 F6F-5 Hellcat (doing it as a F6F-3)

Hey captain 

I'm using the ones from ANYZ. He makes a complete kit for the 1/24 Hellcat. Mine will be a US Navy plane probably a late 3 that had the up dated canopy. I believe you can get the Gaspatch guns in, but I would have to pull mine off the shelf and do some investigating, as I'm in the middle of my 1/24 Mosquito.

Ron G 

• Like 1

Thanks for your rapid reply, Ron and for the top tip for the ANYZ website: their Hellcat set is ordered! Super nice stuff, I had to restrain myself from going 'click crazy' there! Had a nice surprise today when going through my 1\24 detail stash; found a Waldron Models set for the....Hellcat! Bought many moons ago from Hannant's old Hendon shop: most of it is duplicated in airscale's excellent Hellcat set, but not all. Bonus!!

Thanks again, Sir. And also rather digging your Mosquito build, too!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• Like 1

Hey Captain 

You are welcome. A word of advice the spark plugs are very tiny and intricate, even for 1/24 scale. I'm not trying to say they are bad just be very careful they are difficult to assemble and easilylost to the dreaded carpet monster. You may need extras. I bought three sets of the spark plugs, since I have two Hellcats one set for extras. The plug wires are tricky to attach to the spark plugs so be forewarned. Don't rush take your time and you will have a great kit. Have you looked into the Master Model's brass barrels for the Hellcat, also the brass undercarriage. I recommend both they will make your model better.

Ron G 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey all

I'm back!  Yupp I'm back on the ol Hellcat. I have accumulated some more aftermarket stuff for this build. No pictures yet I still going over my previous work to see if I need to make any corrections, none so far. I'm also doing another one of these in FAA colors. It will be aircrft  jv131 EL from 800 squadron on the HMS Emperor during "D" day, so it will be extra dark sea grey/ slate grey over sky with invasion stripes and red cowl, ought to look pretty cool in those colors. If anyone knows of anybody that make 1/24 scale decals of this plane I would be very grateful.

See you soon 

Ron G 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1