Jump to content

Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

Ryan

1/32 Trumpeter F6F-5 Hellcat

Recommended Posts

That’s a real PITA Ryan, good catch .......haven’t heard or read about this before......very strange......

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just google a review of the kit or "1/32 trumpeter hellcat bulge".

Whats odd is that most of the reviewers or builders get hung up on the bulge and not the depression which is more unsightly in my opinion.

The kit is general seems to be fat around the cockpit area, but if you look at the Maru pic, it does look a bit plump to me anyway.

Thanks for checking in.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the other half massaged into shape and sharpened up the cockpit sills.

 

13259D82-1170-475C-A855-C2FCEC717138.jpeg

33A67FFA-B9C6-4A38-9643-9152ADE8C37C.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some work done on the tail gear, it’s very fragile.

its sitting in the fuse while the joints set up. Later I’ll add some detailing and some strengthening additions.

99D3AA10-31D1-437E-BAC1-771E9A5F7931.jpeg

76C59F56-8C34-4CBC-B4AF-DCF29FB6FC26.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main gear is very robust, but missing the collars for the oleo shaft. I got a little glue happy before I realized this, so will have to fix with oleo scissor links in place.

0265A1AB-0F79-4C6F-A534-3D3F6FD3FEF9.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That a good idea, but was going with something easier.

1st option wrap oleo with tape and build up edge with primer.

2nd option make oleo collar out of thick white Tamiya contour tape and secure with thin super glue.

2nd option would give a thicker collar.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great work!

not to mention learning all the quirks of the kit and seeing your approaches to dealing with them as well

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys more hellcat adventures.

As mentioned above, to solve the missing oleo collars, I was going to use one of two techniques to replicate.

The vinyl Tamiya tape was the winner! Once the tape was cut to wrap the strut a small notch was made to allow the tape to clear the scissor link.

After the tape was set and tamped down a  candy shell of thin super glue was brushed on to seal the tape. The join line at the rear of the tape is easily sanded and blended when the glue is dry.

A final, but not photogenic step, is to slather some liquid putty to seal anything that the glue missed. I’ll sand it out after it sits over nite.

Thanks for looking.

Ryan

 

70AEF2D4-3597-4DC1-B7FA-86233BDC4603.jpeg

20745BF8-23DD-46CC-BF62-F0AEBB8FCCE7.jpeg

51ADE9EA-96EC-41C6-A0FB-05FBE9EA7F89.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a blast of primer it doesn’t look bad for what it is...a couple of pieces of tape wrapped around a strut! :)

I’ll add some bolt detail and polish it up before final paint.

 

DAAC7253-16CD-46E3-9AEC-5F103B75C67A.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took some time aside for more painting. After a unsuccessful wash attempt I went back to my old standard of pre shading and post color.

Happy with the result.

A909DF99-F3E4-4A94-AFBA-46E0B16295D0.jpeg

42FDE46B-0314-469F-B334-22F8D41299A4.jpeg

157B8498-DEFA-495B-92F8-613CA612FE21.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to Carl for helping me with wash application, I started on the rear bulkhead.

I did cheat a little and lightly sprayed a green filter to soften the wash.

 

5F96D861-F276-49D5-B975-E79125655FD4.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicely done on that shading - and a nice solution to a tricky problem with the gear...

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completed a task I have been dreading today. The detail in the pit is a bit soft and shallow as far as corner definition on the consoles, the only option would be to mask them off and spray. 

I had to assemble the unit to eliminate some joints and assembled it makes the job harder. I decided to do a few boxes at a time. In the end, there was just a little touch up needed. The rest will be brush painted.

 

1011529F-FBFA-4B3A-AD53-09179FA0414F.jpeg

7CC43DED-EC4D-40D0-B33D-D2582F0ACC38.jpeg

A2CB0FCC-7D31-4EB0-8A1C-28C626BA6DD2.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More work continued today, took a break from painting and started assembling some of the pit.

80D3ECEB-D23E-4DCF-8613-1AB8A22F77A2.jpeg

89B489CE-5DC3-4DA1-A579-4EA77BF16A5D.jpeg

AE6FE98B-0151-4BBF-99A2-E5827F529EFD.jpeg

8FAE6B8F-D42C-4A07-8939-B97C83C59CF1.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...