The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bf 109G-14 ERLA "Double Chevron" II./JG 3 "Udet"

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 10:11 AM, GazzaS said:

That looks great!

thanks GazzaS, greetings to my beloved Australia!!!!

cheers

So some work has been done, painted the canopy (which has not the best fit in closed position) some details on the pilot, gears up also, hopping soon to get on the finish line, cheers

IMG-20190919-044232.jpg

IMG-20190919-044158.jpg

IMG-20190919-044250.jpg

IMG-20190919-043259.jpg

IMG-20190919-043903.jpg

IMG-20190919-044050.jpg

IMG-20190919-043610.jpg

IMG-20190919-043943.jpg

IMG-20190919-043839.jpg

IMG-20190919-043656.jpg

IMG-20190919-043725.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 6:17 AM, antonio argudo said:

Recently I acquired some wood 109 relics which will be using as reference for the colors 74/75/76 , here is the link thread if you are interested in checking it out.

Cheers

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/81410-relic-plywood-pieces-from-a-bf-109-g10/

Lovely build, you chaps are so talented on the painting and miniature detailing. I was interested to read the great RM74 paint colour debate on the link above. I think one has to be very cautious using wartime colour photographs or paintwork to inform choices as to what the correct shade is, especially if it is thought that "a green should be more blue" as mooted in the linked thread.

The first thing to note is that wartime colour photographic film was usually used in cameras built to take pictures on black and white film, and so really until the 1960's lenses were not optimised for colour film use. Secondly, because of shortages and lack of refrigeration, colour film tended to be older before use, and degraded by sub-par storage. Developers and fixers were somewhat over-used for similar reasons. (Robert Capa lost nearly all his pictured from Omaha beach due to this over-use) So, relying on the "true" colour from a wartime photograph is dicey to start with.

Secondly, the photographs and indeed painted wreckage cited in the thread above, are liable to "photodegradation", which is essentially the science of how colours change over time. Different materials and colours can change to a greater or lesser degree, and the wavelengths of the light causing the photodegradation also affect to what degree and in what manner colours are changed.

However, by and large, the longer the wavelength of the reflected colour, and the shorter the wavelength of the light causing the photodegradation, the more pronounced the degradation is. So, reds (longwave) being kept in strong UV light (short-wave) causes the maximum effect. This is why you generally do not see red pigments used often on boats or gliders gel-coats, as this red would fade to pink and change in hue most readily. Blues however, are a much safer bet for these craft, and white is best of all.

If we consider the RM74, said to be a "grey-green", and disregard the grey, then it can be readily seen that a reduction in the yellow hues (adjacent to red in the spectrum) will cause the green hues to appear bluer (as green is a mixture of yellow and blue) - leading to the 'spirited' debate as to the true colour of RM74 in the linked thread!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fidd88 said:

If we consider the RM74, said to be a "grey-green", and disregard the grey, then it can be readily seen that a reduction in the yellow hues (adjacent to red in the spectrum) will cause the green hues to appear bluer (as green is a mixture of yellow and blue) - leading to the 'spirited' debate as to the true colour of RM74 in the linked thread!

Thanks for your reply  Fidd88

well, it is an interesting topic, not sure if there will be a definitive answer on it, as you mention there are many factors that can take place, I guess everyone will see it on his own perception so everybody is happy at the end of the day:D thanks for posting that information and your point of view, I appreciate it, cheers

I saw recently this pic of a fw190 wing, quite interesting colors

Screenshot-60.png

• Like 4

20 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

Thanks for your reply  Fidd88

well, it is an interesting topic, not sure if there will be a definitive answer on it, as you mention there are many factors that can take place, I guess everyone will see it on his own perception so everybody is happy at the end of the day:D thanks for posting that information and your point of view, I appreciate it, cheers

I saw recently this pic of a fw190 wing, quite interesting colors

Screenshot-60.png

I do hope my post was not interpreted as  "I think this blue/green is wrong", rather, I was trying to illustrate the need for caution when considering old colour photographs, and especially wartime era ones, as an "authority"  as to hues. As the similar effects act on both paint and pigments in fibre-glass, or indeed pretty much any coloured material, it therefore follows, I suggest, that similar caution needs to be taken with any reference material of age. Photodegradation was explained to me many years ago as a young glider-pilot when I asked one the old-boys in the workshops why it was that our doped-fabric gilders were colourful, but the newer fibre-glass jobs were invariably white overall. I've been waiting 30 years for the opportunity to pass on the knowledge! :secret:

• Like 4