The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HPH B-36 Peacemaker A truly LARGE scale model.

• Administrators

All the ‘pit parts are primed and drying. I’m finding I itch like a fool when I sand fiberglass, so nothing’s changed there. But, only a bit more to do.

I figure that there’s only going to be a handful of these kits built, so I might as well go all the way on it. The greenhouse is huge and plenty will be seen through it.

I expect this is going to be a late production bird. Not sure yet, but am leaning towards an RB-36

• Like 5

• Administrators
On 11/5/2019 at 9:20 AM, Bill_S said:

Is there any truth to the rumor that Airscale has been sold to some guy in Texas?

Nahh, I’m just a major investor. But I’ll encourage Mr. Castle to continue doing what he does.

He inspires me.

• Like 4

• Administrators

So the instruction book would have me build the wings first, but I’m having none of that. Models begin with the interior, and that’s how it is in my world. 
I've been picking away at this for awhile, anyone who builds resin knows that it’s 90% fitting, cutting, carving, sanding and fitting, repeat as often as needed. 

The biggest offender so far is the nose gear bay. It protrudes into the lower deck area, and HPH will have you cut off the Mother of All Casting Blocks to get it to fit. I’ve been at this thing for a couple hours and I’m still hacking away at it. It’s too long and deep for a razor saw in one swipe, so I go at it slowly. I refuse to do the Dremel thing as that’d be the moment I slip and ruin an expensive resin piece. 
This nose wheel well is one huge piece of resin. 

This may be 1/48 scale, but these are massive components. These things dwarf anything on the 1/32 Lancaster or B-17

DAE3EA27-5B4C-4659-B215-2AEE197E6D0D.jpeg

0A09F7FE-5D80-453C-A967-605AF6BE2037.jpeg

987CBD62-FF46-4E76-8ED3-AA176487E7E9.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators

So far I’ve done some base color application to the interior in Interior green, Nd now we go to some lightening and a minor bit of chipping. 

From what I’ve been able to tell, these were the Free World’s nuclear strike force for 10 years, and they were kept fairly pristine. They were heavily utilized but received heavy maintenance to help the cause.

So weathering will be minor and very sparingly applied. 

• Like 6

Look out, that's what I call a big bird. The casting blocks are of corresponding dimensions. Is that dust coat only from the resin or are there other substances involved. mind, always to wear an dust mask :D.
Looking forward to your next steps with that cold war behemoth.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Look out, that's what I call a big bird. The casting blocks are of corresponding dimensions. Is that dust coat only from the resin or are there other substances involved. mind, always to wear an dust mask :D.
Looking forward to your next steps with that cold war behemoth.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob. Yes the casting blocks are massive on this thing.  If you see the deepness of the cut from the end, that's the throad deepness of the deepest razor saw I have. In other words, almost 2 inches.   Like I said, IT"S HUGE.

I always try to wear a respirator olus I vacuum myself off completely after each session. My wife gets VERY angry if I track resin dust all over he nice, clean house.

• Like 7

• Administrators

Mumbling to myself though, Phil. Making 1/48 instrument panels make me remember why I don’t model that scale.

And I’m only working on the fire control system.  Still engineers and pilots panels to do.

Ugh!

Why can’t I just build normal models like everyone else in this world?

• Like 3