The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HPH B-36 Peacemaker A truly LARGE scale model.

• Administrators
On 12/10/2019 at 3:25 AM, FME erk said:

Can you imagine the wiring loom behind the panel(s) fault finding  ???

I hope you can get close to something that represents that/those panel(s)  Ernie, coming close would be great  . . . .

Ian

I expect I can, although the white dividing lines are next to impossible in 1/48

• Like 3

• Administrators

So here’s a look where we are today. 
the lower deck. 
Seats need to be added. That’s the small green blocks on the floor. 
I’m going to mock up the interior with the nose glazing in place. I have a feeling the visual bomb aimer’s seat will be visible from the front and should be mounted on supports, not a resin block. 
Obviously we need to give it a good wash and dirty it up slightly. 

28F8B74C-D36F-4F13-8615-36AFAAC4999A.jpeg

C09686B7-82A3-4FD4-BD0B-63F57CC749AF.jpeg

6B8E4D68-31E2-47FB-8A86-C05EEFF97091.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

The tail is made up of four VERY large, solid pieces of resin. 
The horizontal stabilizer is right about the span of a 1/32 P-51. 
These could have DEFINITELY been cast as hollow parts or in fiberglass. This is easily a  pound of resin. 
Right on the very rear of the model. 
Not cool. 

9178E524-1330-4AC6-88F0-1274ABF9BB5D.jpeg

• Like 7

• Administrators

Thanks Mike, but...

Im really struggling with the color callouts for interior green.  It just doesn’t seem right. A light grey seems to make a lot more sense to me.

B-52s had/have grey interiors, and I’ve seen interior pics of two display B-36s.  The last B-36, the “City of Fort Worth” at the Pima Museum has a grey interior. It was restored by ex Convair employees.

The B-36 at WPAFB has a green interior...

hmmmmmmm

• Like 4

• Administrators

Production has been slowed this last week and a half.

I have a big ol’ case of influenza and have been VERY sick these last several days.  I really don’t like this time of year in Texas.

My wife dislikes it even more because she says I get mighty whiny when I’m sick.

• Like 6

Might be a little unseemly but have a look at the Jimmy Stewart movie , I think its called SAC or something like that. Half to movie takes place in a B 36 if I remember or was it a B 47? The interior would be close I would think.

Oil of Oregano kills any cold that dares to try and enter my body.

• Like 4

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, krow113 said:

Might be a little unseemly but have a look at the Jimmy Stewart movie , I think its called SAC or something like that. Half to movie takes place in a B 36 if I remember or was it a B 47? The interior would be close I would think.

Oil of Oregano kills any cold that dares to try and enter my body.

That’s a great idea. The used actual operational B-36s in that movie. Mostly just cockpit shots of course, much top secret stuff on lower deck, but it might help

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The nose weights are two very substantial pieces of very heavy metal. 
I have no clue if they will be sufficient to hold the nose down, as HPH saw fit to give us a horizontal stabilizer, elevators, and rudder in solid resin.....

1D72402A-BE3A-449C-BC6E-83FDEDE5B49E.jpeg

2B64594C-4549-48A8-B3C5-9C7DA23559FC.jpeg

Hey I did not know you were doing a NB-36 H. Looks like the bulkheads are from it ;)

Hubert

• Like 5

• Administrators

Those weight are big and heavy. I expect they will either keep or almost keep the nose down. I plan on adding some nose weight on either side of the nose gear well. Under the lower floor. Just like with a Liberator, the Peacemaker has precious little area to add weight. 

Plus, I certainly don’t want to over stress the nosegear. Even though it’s a very large reinforced casting, I don’t want to chance anything here. 
It’s big, but size is relative. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Now we must start thinking about fuselage prep. The fuselage interior is a straight up fiberglass layup. No gelcoat, no finishing at all, so I’ll look at pics of the originals again. 
Must find out if it had sound deadening mats on the walls or painted......

• Like 4

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, shark64 said:

such an impressive project.  Is this museum piece?  The size of it in incredible. Following this for sure.

I have ZERO idea what I will do this when I’m finished with it.  I’m building it, but as of now, I’m planning on displaying it at my office. 

• Like 3

I'm still wrapping my head around this monster but the nose weights are the icing on the cake. 

It is unfortunate that they had to do the tail in solid resin. 

Hope you get over the flu soon. We just got flu shots for the boys today. More to keep their grandparents as healthy as possible since little kids are veritable germ factories. 

• Like 4