The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HPH B-36 Peacemaker A truly LARGE scale model.

• Administrators

Thanks Carl. 
It looks like I’ll need to do a lot of scrathbuilding on the bottom of the upper deck. 
It’s extremely visible and is totally barren in the kit. 
The kit is missing a lot of small details around Borge the reader bomb Aimee and the visual bombardier. Roof texturing and padding, wiring, piping, switch boxes, and work lights. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, FME erk said:

I got the impression that the 'cab' was two saloon bodies back to back.

I would say that you could build that Ernie . . . . .

Yeah, does look like a Morris Minor grafted onto a Scammell or some such!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 1/15/2020 at 7:42 PM, rkranias said:

Nice pit work Ernie. 

Thanks, Rick.  Looking better as of now, but I’m in the middle of the very tedious engineer panel.  Each individual gauge must be correctly placed...  uuuuuugh

:icon_eek:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Hey folks, still working on the cockpit area and I was stopped because I was doing dome serious research on this. 

The cockpit and crew areas in Pima bird that was restored by Convair is painted in a very pleasing grey-blue color that’s different from all I’ve seen around. Now, I was under the impression that interior green was used, but like any good ol’ senile guy, I questioned myself. 

Here’s the Pima bird’s pit:

1435BAE6-B961-450E-9C15-18B478A908C9.jpeg

768B2267-0ABE-44EA-B570-0C7DFCA22F02.jpeg

784586E2-E13B-421A-A8D3-C80B1E7B3311.jpeg

384F5CD6-D221-4D2F-824E-126868D550DF.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators

So I think I’m safe. I had used interior green, and although I will modulate it slightly, I think I’m on the right track here.   The big interior areas are the bomb bay and it seems a bit brighter of a green than the crew areas  

Thoughts?

• Like 3

Go with some style of green, the Pima pics look to me like a dark green possibly with a hint of blue and any eye trickery beyond that being the light and camera settings. 

what on earth is the steering wheel thing on the pilots left console? Is that for grounds steering like a streetcar? LOL

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Hey folks, still working on the cockpit area and I was stopped because I was doing dome serious research on this. 

The cockpit and crew areas in Pima bird that was restored by Convair is painted in a very pleasing grey-blue color that’s different from all I’ve seen around. Now, I was under the impression that interior green was used, but like any good ol’ senile guy, I questioned myself. 

Here’s the Pima bird’s pit:

1435BAE6-B961-450E-9C15-18B478A908C9.jpeg

768B2267-0ABE-44EA-B570-0C7DFCA22F02.jpeg

784586E2-E13B-421A-A8D3-C80B1E7B3311.jpeg

384F5CD6-D221-4D2F-824E-126868D550DF.jpeg

Was there any e-Bay purchase of some Ex-Soviet/Russian cockpit colour for the restoration?

• Like 3

• Administrators

Exactly what I thought, Iain. it looks like a Sukhoi color.  

But the original looks like good ol' US interior green in the bomb bay and a slightly darker? variation in the cockpit.  maybe camera light tricks.  In one pic it almost looks like an RAF interior green.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Jeff, it makes the B-52 look like a toy.  It's absolutely massive in every way. The two I've seen are the one at Wright Pat, and the one in Omaha.  If you can make a Nats in Omaha, we usually all get out to the SAC Museum, and it'll blow your mind, man.  A B-52 is a bit smaller than a B-36 but is much less massive and it looks like a kids toy beside the 36.

• Like 3