The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

The crappiest fitting kits. What’s yours.

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

Do you ever wonder why you agreed to something?  

OK, so let’s have some fun with this one. We all have that ONE build, that one single box of misshapen plastic that looks like it spent 3 weeks roped to the back of a camel while traversing the Serengeti on it’s way to your home. Or possibly dredged up from the wreckage of one of the Spanish Armada....  let’s see ‘em. 

OK, I’ll start. This has to qualify as one of the worst kits I’ve ever had the misfortune to build and it easily wins the award as far as I’m concerned. . It was obviously designed by a person in the former Soviet Union who still holds some deep seated resentment towards the West for winning the Cold War. The individual responsible has cleverly hatched this sneaky plot to drive us Imperialists insane. 

After an on again-off again two gear long melodrama, I have arrived here. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING fits. Not even close. The fuselage is a devious 12 piece affair designed by a 1959 Party Worker who wanted a new Chevy Impala and had to settle for a wood wheeled bicycle, and better yet, to to make matters worse, it was all warped, with rounded edges, bevels going the wrong way, and sink marks to end all sinkmarks.  So hairdryers,  oiling water, stretch presses, and a Cat-o’-nine tails were all employed to straighten it out. The wings looked like sun a shrunken fiberglass diving board, on the equator of Venus. One half of the tail had gone AWOL, and the decals were seemingly brought to you by Rand McNalley. The bonus? Nacelle #1 will need only half a quart of Apoxie.   Invest in Evergreen now. You’ll get righ on what I’m going to need to buy.   

I think a couple nights of this, then back on the SOD. 

CBC9E3FE-426E-4E8A-A206-775071F812F4.jpeg

1556664D-B042-456B-9B28-E2EF58A2F166.jpeg

8FE594F1-A2E8-47FD-850B-B107C853CE33.jpeg

3FCE34F0-91DE-4B46-B842-F8FA6294BEF7.jpeg

3E141235-0F1C-4BD5-8330-86F4F84996C5.jpeg

• Like 5

Definitely looks like Stalin's revenge there Ernie. 

1/72 is good for sci-fi kits and stuff for my boys to build. Maybe capital ship models too.:D

As for worse fitting kit I've had the (dis)pleasure of working on,  that would be the Trumpeter 1/32 Mig-15. Still don't know how guys get that together. 

Carl

• Like 4

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Pardelhas said:

Ernie, what kit is it? Brand please? Please we need to know so we can runaway from it! :D

Amodel An-8. The only game in town if you want to so obscure Russian transports in a decently large scale.  This is one of their older kits and it shows. It's better than vacuform, but not by much. 

Fun fun fun

• Like 4

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Hasegawa Bf.109E ...

Just got back into modelling ... "these look nice'n'cheap" e-sez ... there's a reason for that you know!!

I learned to read up on reviews quite smartly after that!!

Rog :)

I've never tried a Hasegawa Emil. thanks for the Pro Tip, Rog.  :rofl:

Oh, and pics or it didn't happen. :)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Clunkmeister said:

I've never tried a Hasegawa Emil. thanks for the Pro Tip, Rog.  :rofl:

Oh, and pics or it didn't happen. :)

No pics of that mess ... or pretty much everything in the first 2-3 years ... (2008-2010)

I bought 3 ... because - you know - cheap!! ... that first Emil hit the round filing cabinet after 5 days of mindless torture.

The other two were given to a young lady of 14 back in 2011 ... who very patiently did VERY well with them ... caught the bug ...

... and is now doing some studies in aviation/aerospace engineering over in Melbourne somewhere.

• Like 7

• Administrators

Rog, stories like that young lady are what makes this hobby special. Around here, modeling is a bit of a nerd sport I dare to say. We try to spread it to the younger generations, but many just prefer the Xbox or Playstation. 

Hasegawa 190s, 109Fs, and Zeros are kits that are great for newbies, no doubt.  But this An-8, if not for it being a model for someone else, would have been binned a year ago.

• Like 3

So far I've dealt with one such, and it was a Bison I spg by Alan. That thing had crap fit and actually called for a major assembly to be installed into the hull way after numerous other pieces had been attached...requiring many of them to be broken loose to get the assembly to go in. That one kit put me off from building any other sketchy Eastern European brands.

• Like 3

I'll rack up another vote for A-model. Bought a DH Comet kit to build with my son a few years back and it was total junk. Warped, badly moulded, covered in flash, etc. Ashamed to say we just binned it. Neither of us had any inclination to persevere with it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Rog, stories like that young lady are what makes this hobby special. Around here, modeling is a bit of a nerd sport I dare to say. We try to spread it to the younger generations, but many just prefer the Xbox or Playstation. 

Hasegawa 190s, 109Fs, and Zeros are kits that are great for newbies, no doubt.  But this An-8, if not for it being a model for someone else, would have been binned a year ago.

lol ... Young Aleisha's dad cursed me roundly when she asked for a Tamiya Spitfire for her 15th birthday ... the H&S Airbrush came on her 17th with squeals of joy  from her and more dark looks from her parents in my direction. Her dad was voicing concerns about his 19y/o daughter moving interstate to study at university some 3400+ km's away with all the hormonal males around ... I said "relax Geoff ... unless they discuss tolerances and performance output optimums on the DB.601 ... or list the top ten German aces by number of arial victories ... they haven't got a hope!"

• Like 6

• Administrators
4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Well, if it's 1/48 then at least you won't have to scratch build the Sea King.

You're almost there. 

Good point! Never thought of that. And I have all the Belcher goodies and a Hasegawa kit for it, too.

That stabilizer’s broken loose again. See if you can’t lock it down.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Artful69 said:

lol ... Young Aleisha's dad cursed me roundly when she asked for a Tamiya Spitfire for her 15th birthday ... the H&S Airbrush came on her 17th with squeals of joy  from her and more dark looks from her parents in my direction. Her dad was voicing concerns about his 19y/o daughter moving interstate to study at university some 3400+ km's away with all the hormonal males around ... I said "relax Geoff ... unless they discuss tolerances and performance output optimums on the DB.601 ... or list the top ten German aces by number of arial victories ... they haven't got a hope!"

Hahahahaha!  My kinda young lady! I like that. Any lady who can talk the advantages of the 605, 603, 601 in comparison to the 213F has the keys to my heart.  

• Like 3

Another fond memory of a high impact incident with the round filing cabinet ...

The old Revell Bf.110C-4 ... no amount of putty and re-scribing could ever fix that masterful puzzle of engineering ineptitude.

I remember wishing I’d hung onto it if only to show the Dragon kit to it - “see ... with a little more effort, this is what you COULD have been!!!”

Rog

• Like 4