The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What do you guys see in this picture?

1to1scale

Here is a further head scratcher on the paint in the pic.

Who made the hobby shop run to get these paints and where is that in the Saudi desert?

Or did the fellow have it on hand from a modeler in the unit?

• Like 1

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Here is a further head scratcher on the paint in the pic.

Who made the hobby shop run to get these paints and where is that in the Saudi desert?

Or did the fellow have it on hand from a modeler in the unit?

Agreed. I’d think the latter.   Unless Hannants delivers to the desert?

On a serious note to the question...Typically in the US, APO addresses are like local addresses and you can ship nearly anything, the US Military has a pretty good internal postal system for delivering mail to troops, I have used this a few times when I needed to get stuff to some of my local field repair techs when they were in Iraq or Afghanistan. Typically, they had their delivery in 7-14 days. I imagine the UK has a very similar system. So, any person or business can ship anything, including hobby supplies, to any service person anywhere in the world. 

A person can also send goodie packs to random service people anywhere. Typically, they love to get things to keep them occupied while on down time.

on a side rant, A few years ago, my former company was putting together large crates of donations to go to troops overseas, I tried to go to some local hobby shops to get donations of small kits and supplies, but none of the local shops in the area wanted to donate anything, but instead offered me a small 10% discount if I wanted to buy them myself. Needless to say, I told them I would take care of it myself, I ended up finding a hobby shop that had a $3 sale for 1/72 kits, so I bought a few dozen and some basic paints with cheap brushes. I was a little upset that a chain of hobby shops would say no, how quickly they forgot...

edit: this was before I met Ernie or Tony or joined any forums, otherwise I would have hit them up to help.

• Like 2

• Administrators

USPS to South Africa is forever. I received a small box from SA and I had considered it lost. It showed up a year later.  It took 7 months from postmark to delivery for a box to Australia one time.  I’ve had one box to NZ make it in 10 days. 

Martin once sent me an envelope from the Vancouver area and from postmark to delivery it was 10 months. No joke. 

UPS or Fedex for me from now on I think   But their brokerage fees are stupid

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

UPS or Fedex for me from now on I think   But their brokerage fees are stupid

Fedex hit the "3 strikes you're out!" with me years ago. After they left a package out in the middle of my lawn I decided they weren't fit to deliver turds from my ass to the toilet I sat upon.

UPS just likes to rip holes in my packages.

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

On a serious note to the question...Typically in the US, APO addresses are like local addresses and you can ship nearly anything, the US Military has a pretty good internal postal system for delivering mail to troops, I have used this a few times when I needed to get stuff to some of my local field repair techs when they were in Iraq or Afghanistan. Typically, they had their delivery in 7-14 days. I imagine the UK has a very similar system. So, any person or business can ship anything, including hobby supplies, to any service person anywhere in the world. 

A person can also send goodie packs to random service people anywhere. Typically, they love to get things to keep them occupied while on down time.

on a side rant, A few years ago, my former company was putting together large crates of donations to go to troops overseas, I tried to go to some local hobby shops to get donations of small kits and supplies, but none of the local shops in the area wanted to donate anything, but instead offered me a small 10% discount if I wanted to buy them myself. Needless to say, I told them I would take care of it myself, I ended up finding a hobby shop that had a $3 sale for 1/72 kits, so I bought a few dozen and some basic paints with cheap brushes. I was a little upset that a chain of hobby shops would say no, how quickly they forgot...

edit: this was before I met Ernie or Tony or joined any forums, otherwise I would have hit them up to help.

Well, we could all do it agin. I’m game

• Like 1