Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

Sign in to follow this  
crazypoet

Trumpeter P-47D Early Cowl Flaps

This is what happens when you don't pay close enough attention to kit options... :wallbash:

So my P-47 build is of the P-47D-5 series, which has different cowl flaps than those included in the kit.  When i first looked, I saw multiple cowl options in the kit and somehow translated that into a mental image of both the earlier straight flaps as well as the later cutout flaps.

Well, no.  My bad!  They had every *other* conceivable option for the different iterations of the D-series razorback, so why not these?  So... Yes, my assumptions made an ass out of me.

So - has anyone seen a replacement flap set out there?  I've seen one for the 1/48 kits, but nothing for the Trumpy 1/32.

Worst case, I'll scratch the conversion (which given that it's *adding* material is pretty straightforward), but it would be extremely handy if there was a version already out there. 

P47_3 (2).jpg

• Like 2

The only cowl flaps I've managed to find are resin ones for the Hasegawa 0-47 and were made by Master Casters. 

Not sure if they would work or if the hassle of finding a set and then making it fit the Trumpeter kit would be easier than modifying the kit parts. 

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The only cowl flaps I've managed to find are resin ones for the Hasegawa 0-47 and were made by Master Casters. 

Not sure if they would work or if the hassle of finding a set and then making it fit the Trumpeter kit would be easier than modifying the kit parts. 

Carl

Thanks!  I’ll take a look-see

edit:  I looked, and these are for the same cutout-type cowl flaps that come with the Trumpy kit, so back to square one... 

seems I’m going to have to make them up myself (always good to get in some practice!)

^_^

Edited by crazypoet
Update
  • Like 1