The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Roger's Large Scale RAAF/RAN Research thread

Artful69

Hi All ...

Thats right ... a Jet!

I'm doing a bit of an Australian themed collection a need the correct LSP for the RAAF.

Apparently, back in 1984, we acquired 15 F-18A's and 18F-18B's ...

I have absolutely NO IDEA when it comes to jets.

Can someone help with pointing out ...

Kit selection and the possibility of in-kit decals ... or AM decals to suit?

Any issues that need addressing with said kit?

Rog :)

At Rog’s request, I have attempted to brilliantly merge his Aussie F-18 threads.. Rog May wish to modify my amazing new title. 

• Like 4

oops,started out thinking Canadian. Academy Hornet is an amazing kit. Hard to come by nowadays, but some have been on ebay selling for a moderate price. You can spruce it up with the usual goodies like cockpit, burner cans, intakes, etc , but is great oob. If you can't find the Academy "A" Hornet for a good price there is an Avionix "A" conversion out there for the "C" Hornet kits. Difference is mostly cockpit, vertical stabilizers, and vents.

ma89decalreviewkb_instr1.jpg

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

oops,started out thinking Canadian. Academy Hornet is an amazing kit. Hard to come by nowadays, but some have been on ebay selling for a moderate price. You can spruce it up with the usual goodies like cockpit, burner cans, intakes, etc , but is great oob. If you can't find the Academy "A" Hornet for a good price there is an Avionix "A" conversion out there for the "C" Hornet kits. Difference is mostly cockpit, vertical stabilizers, and vents.

ma89decalreviewkb_instr1.jpg

Oooooo ... wow ... ok! 

Thanks Smitty :D 

Someone posted out a Kinetic C/D and listed a whole bunch of AM (tail conversions) ... But since I can't tell the difference between an F-15 and an F-18 (I mean I can see differences - but if you put both in front of me and asked me to point out the F-18 I'd be stumped!) It's hard to understand what people are on about ... my "street knowledge" of this stuff ends circa 1945-46.

So I'm looking for an Academy 'A' ... anyone got a kit number/box art so I know what I'm looking for when I see it?

Rog :)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Oooooo ... wow ... ok!

Someone posted out a Kinetic C/D and listed a whole bunch of AM (tail conversions) ... But since I can't tell the difference between an F-15 and an F-18 (I mean I can see differences - but if you put both in front of me and asked me to point out the F-18 I'd be stumped!) It's hard to understand what people are on about ... my "street knowledge" of this stuff ends circa 1945-46.

So I'm looking for an Academy 'A' ... anyone got a kit number/box art so I know what I'm looking for when I see it?

Kinetic boxing is the Academy kit. Always forget that one, Has sprues to do A, A+, B, and D in the box I think.

• Like 4

Just now, smitty44 said:

Kinetic boxing is the Academy kit

Yeah but being the C/D ... it doesn't have the vertical tails apparently - someone does a conversion but I'd rather get an OOB kit for the main part

... Like I said I have NO idea ... 

I'm happy to hunt around for an original A if I know what the box will look like :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, smitty44 said:

ACADEMY12107.jpg

1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

The Academy A had new tails for that version, which had a Marines and Canadian markings, so if you can find it, it’s the one you need. There are a couple on eBay for $200 right now.

Cheers guys!!! Thanks a lot ... I’ll secure a kit and then dig into the underworld of AM ...

• Like 4

Rog, I've got the Kinetic kit with the correct tails and resin intakes and burner cans for sale at the moment. 

Big question would be shipping to Australia from Canada. If you want to PM me I can try and get an estimate for you.

Carl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Rog, I've got the Kinetic kit with the correct tails and resin intakes and burner cans for sale at the moment. 

Big question would be shipping to Australia from Canada. If you want to PM me I can try and get an estimate for you.

Carl

Hi ... I thought the Kinetic Kit didn't have tails for the A or B ??? ... Confused ... I'll Pm you

• Like 4

• Administrators

I'll second on the Kinetic A/B combo kit, Rog.  I'm as much a jet guy as you, as in absolutely not at all, so if you're not sure, grab the Kinetic A/B combo kit. It comes with everything to build either a single A or a two seater B.  It's all Academy plastic so it's the best there is, and you can mix and match to get your specific Aussie prototype.

It's gonna be good to see another early Hornet build. Heck, given the right time of day, I might even join you, as I've been looking for a reason.

E

• Like 4

On 8/16/2019 at 6:01 AM, Clunkmeister said:

I'll second on the Kinetic A/B combo kit, Rog.  I'm as much a jet guy as you, as in absolutely not at all, so if you're not sure, grab the Kinetic A/B combo kit. It comes with everything to build either a single A or a two seater B.  It's all Academy plastic so it's the best there is, and you can mix and match to get your specific Aussie prototype.

It's gonna be good to see another early Hornet build. Heck, given the right time of day, I might even join you, as I've been looking for a reason.

E

So Clunk! ...

I have discovered ... in my research ... That there are TWO boxings of the Kinetic kit ... and both have the same box-art - probably to confuse twits like me.

The original one is the one you refer to ... choice of A/B, C/D Variants ... ability to make a one or two holer. Unfortunately - it's both OOP and as rare as rocking horse poo ... which means extraordinary amounts of gold bullion or Australian Pesos are required to obtain one ... If found!

The more recent release ... and the one still on sale in retail outlets around the world is the C/D ONLY boxing ... which doesn't contain the A/B bits.

However ... all is not lost ... because according to my flowchart ... Avionics make a couple of detail sets that are readily available and include all of the resin required to convert said kit to either an A or a B.

Although G-Factor gear is highly recommended (in the same way that SAC gear is NOT!) ... I'm advised from those in multiple builds from years of yore that the kit gear (if assembled correctly) should do well over time - even with the added resin!! (oh, ye of little faith!)

Of course the F/A-18A/B seems no longer to be my problem child ... as with all things - the rabbit hole continues to descend!

It appears we (I mean Australia) also decided to buy in a bunch of F/A-18F Super Hornets (Hornets on 'roids maybe?) ... Trumpeter is the go to for this one ... but in that barrel of electric eels lies the rub! ... apart from a couple of small(-ish) exceptions (we're in LS territory, remember) - there is hardly a whimper raised from the AM community!! ... especially in the cockpit region which the place most desperately in need on this kit. "Wait!!" (I hear the multitudes shout!) ... "But look to the east and the dawning of the new Revell kit! Surely an F and a G will follow the E!" ... Except Revell are in the same category as Trumpeter now with an even wider selection of Forrest Gump's chocolate box - You have absolutely no idea what you're going to (actually) get until plastic ensues ... Annnnnnnd reviews haven't been all that glorious (unlike the recent Me.262 - yeah, suck on that one, Trumpeter!). For me - engineering/fit is a must and Trumpeter holds the trump cards on that one!

... and then ... did you know - that the RAAF bought a series of BAe Hawk trainers? ... Kinetic has me looked after there, again! Australian markings already in the kit - lovely!

So far ... I have lined up.

Tamiya Spitfire Mk.VIII, Revell Beaufighter (with some Model Monkey printed assistance), Italeri Mirage III.E/O, Academy/Kinetic F/A.18-A Hornet (possibly a B?) with Avionics conversions if needed, Kinetic Bae Hawk, Trumpeter F/A.18F Super Hornet. There is also the (vague) possibility of an Aeromacchi MB.326 in resin.

*** EDIT *** ... I know, some time ago, that someone announced they were designing and F.111 (the thing that the Super Hornet replaced here) ... but it appears to be vapourware only.

• Like 6

• Administrators

Well Rog,  I’m not sure if you’re doing a single or two seater, but, just in case it’s a two seater B, I highly recommend against the True Details B cockpit set.I bought one and honestly, it looks like my two year old granddaughter made an impression in plasicene. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Well Rog,  I’m not sure if you’re doing a single or two seater, but, just in case it’s a two seater B, I highly recommend against the True Details B cockpit set.I bought one and honestly, it looks like my two year old granddaughter made an impression in plasicene. 

At present I'm looking at 2x Kinetic C/D kits + 2x Avionics conversions (1 for an A build, 1 for a B build)... they have have tail + cockpit bits etc ... and apparently the cockpit is the ducks valuables!

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Rog, just catching up on the forums and listening to the 2nd Ashes test, I as you and Ernie, I know nothing about jets but amazing research. I have my first jet in the stash but do fancy a big hornet, so interested in your final selection.......

Im actually enjoying learning about the nuances in different Mk's or variants ... Hairdryers are a different world! ... Catching the info from those who've gone before me ... picking it up quickly I hope

Looks like the second test will be a draw ... too much rain interfering ... England performing much better this game with a full bowling compliment!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

, I highly recommend against the True Details B cockpit set.I bought one and honestly, it looks like my two year old granddaughter made an impression in plasicene.

The Avionix set is a rebox of the True Details one from my understanding so that's good to know. 

Aires does a C cockpit but it has parts for the A 'pit as well (just the one panel). No idea on the fit quality or lack there. 

Wolfpack does one too as you know. The CF-18 version won't be too different from the Aussie one which is one of the reasons we're buying  them from Australia. 

For the Kinetic Hawk, there are specific PE sets for the Aussie cockpits which makes things easier..

• Like 4

So ... in further news ...

This morning I’ve been doing a ring around to some of the lesser known local suppliers ... or at least those ones whose webpages are too archaic or complicated for the average Joe to be bothered investigating much.

Turns out one of them knows the local importer for Academy quite well ... and in an official email to distributors ... Academy are about to re-release the A kit with Australian markings included - arrival in September over here at a reasonable $220 AUD

I can wait.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1