Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

DocRob

Mig-31 from AMK in 1/48 - The grey Beast

Yesterday I ran into some trouble with the build. I tried to assemble the ejection seats where the plastic went together well, but somehow I totally failed with the PE. I was to lazy to check against reference and payed the prize.
The manual is confusing concerning the PE to say the least :icon_eek:

IMG_6953.thumb.JPG.1e6485ca17f90cbd77927c47fa2c1eba.JPG

Today I decided not to use the kit seats and sourced my stash. An Eduard boxing of a SU-27 UB has two resin seats with Colour PE of the same type (or very similar).
When I compared the seats I got this.

IMG_6951.thumb.JPG.992f17977acf6f4f1202806e474aa1f9.JPG

Right the seats look like they were made for different scales. The direct comparison looks even worse. I have no idea who is right here, but with the kit seats, I don't know if the Canopy will close fully without hacking. 
I may opt for variant No. 3 and order two pilots with ejection seats from Aires, which was my favorite from the beginning, but with the situation now, I have no idea, how to get them soon. We had no mail delivered since one and a half week.

IMG_6952.thumb.JPG.651a31e888cb7f5b83034f8c4aefee26.JPG 

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

catching up with your build Rob.

also..... you know you want that :)

1217747-10416-44-pristine.png

• Like 2

Hi Rob

That's a ridiculous difference! It almost looks like a 48th & 32nd comparison. Looks like your option 3 may be the best if you can get delivery.

• Like 1

Rob,

Really don't know what to say about the seats.  I've never heard of anyone having difficulty with the kit seats.   But the rest looks smashing!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GusMac said:

That's a ridiculous difference! It almost looks like a 48th & 32nd comparison. Looks like your option 3 may be the best if you can get delivery.

I will check the plastic seats for the Academy made SU-27 today, maybe the pit is not correct scale wise and Eduard had their Brassin seats scaled down a bit to fit.

18 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Really don't know what to say about the seats.  I've never heard of anyone having difficulty with the kit seats.   But the rest looks smashing!

Don't get me wrong, the kit seats and the supplied PE will make a great looking seat, they seem to be a bit high, when fitted into the pit tub, but I haven't tried to fit the canopy. Where I got confused was the manual, generally well made, it fails to show the application of the PE parts well enough. I should have checked other references, anyway I will have the option with seated pilots from Aires, when I'm allowed to by the circumstances.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1