The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Avia off the SOD. Czech it out!

• Administrators

I’ve been a bit quiet around here of late, with work and building instrument panels for the big Peacemaker.

As I mentioned before, I was getting a bit burned out, so I just grabbed something off the SOD.

I’ve never been a big 109 fan, but I have always had a soft spot for very early and very late versions of the venerable Messer.  You folks can do the Emil’s, Freidrichs and Gustavs with all your crooked crosses, but give me the oddball conversions.

I had started this postwar Jumo powered Avia a few years back and got much of the hard work done, but just sort of lost interest. This might just be the ugliest 109 iteration out there, but it and it’s crews literally saved a Nation from certain destruction in the immediate few years after the war. Not many aircraft can shoulder credit like that.

So we pulled it off the shelf and dusted it off. It should be a quick, easy finish....

What y’all think?  Yes?   No?

C1867802-90A6-4CAD-A7CE-6753F8CDE63C.jpeg

81A5F899-1A51-49EA-97E5-7CC1B4D71EDD.jpeg

E74F1A41-F879-4FEB-A907-E905AFA69360.jpeg

E7EDD065-FA5C-43BF-9B30-1F208801075C.jpeg

• Like 10

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Do it, that'll look good when its done!  B)

Yep, it’s a bit of a boring build, actually.  Grey postwar interior and a solid exterior color.   There’s a Czech civilian scheme on the decal sheet as well, though. Light Frey with red nose and leading edges. Big red registration letters and a blown sliding canopy.  A bit of a change from the traditional Erla hood.

• Like 6

Cool build! Hey, Ernie, we talked about you tonight and the IPMS meeting. A guy brought in his 1/48 B-52 he got for Christmas, i have to say, I was highly impressed with how incredibly light and thin the fuselage was, and how heavy and still the wings were, beautiful surface detail. We discussed the B-36 you have and how much bigger it must be. 

• Like 7

• Administrators

The B-52 is beautiful, no doubt. Maybe someday....

But the 36 is a bucket build for me, and I’ve set a goal to “try” to have it ready for next years Nats, although it won’t  go to Vegas unless I drive. Barring that, it’ll be Omaha..

I’m not rushing that one, it’ll be an amazing model when finished. 

As for being talked about, that must be why my ears were ringing....  :)

• Like 5

On 2/3/2020 at 8:02 PM, Clunkmeister said:

The B-52 is beautiful, no doubt. Maybe someday....

But the 36 is a bucket build for me, and I’ve set a goal to “try” to have it ready for next years Nats, although it won’t  go to Vegas unless I drive. Barring that, it’ll be Omaha..

I’m not rushing that one, it’ll be an amazing model when finished. 

As for being talked about, that must be why my ears were ringing....  :)

Wait till they send you the BEER bill as well.....  :lol:

• Like 6

• Administrators

Had to go to an unexpected funeral today, but I had an hour to goof around.

So I ran another line of gauges on the 36, and puttered with this a bit. HGW belts are so much fun...

Did I say I’m not a 109 fan?  But I am a fan of postwar conversions that extended the service life for several decades, right up into the 1970s.

D41BBB74-24EF-43F0-8D37-F44ED96D701E.jpeg

21EC2747-0EB9-4360-8BE5-C1F393AFB353.jpeg

6A63F129-3371-4EE5-A540-E8977431887F.jpeg

AF47BC41-F253-4E55-A18C-10FAE6A15734.jpeg

• Like 9

• Administrators
2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks great there Ernie. Who made the conversion set?

Carl

It’s the Werner’s Wings kit, of which I bought two.  Plus I have a nose from a previous maker as well.

I intend on doing an Israeli Serie 1 with the chin scoop, an Israeli Series lll with the smooth bottom, and a Czech bird with sliding hood.

This one will most likely be a Series l.  I need to relieve the bottom and interface the scoop into the cowl.

And welcome home, Martin!  

• Like 6

• Administrators

That’s the version I think I’ll do, Martin. Civilian registration police aircraft. 

From what I’ve been able to read, the S-199 and all other Western aircraft were sold, 109s, Spitfires and others, many to Israel because the Soviets ordered them to get rid if all western equipment.

But they kept the 262 clones?

• Like 4