Jump to content

Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

Sign in to follow this  
1to1scale

MRP paint question?

Recommended Posts

I have a question for anyone that has used these paints to paint large scale, I am needing to order some paint and have questions as to how much coverage per bottle. I am getting ready to start two 1/35 Blackhawks and want to know if one bottle of helo drab will cover both kits? And also need a bottle of black for my F-117, wondering if one bottle will cover that also. My thought is that 30ml should be fine, but I have limited experience with MRP other than small parts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always get extra when in doubt because colors sell out often and you could be left hanging. My guess is one for helos would be ok, but I would think two for F-117. I used one and some change for Lancaster undersides.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What primer did you use on the Lanc? I have an option of either gray or black primer, and I was going to do highlights with MRP tire black. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is difficult to answer because all depents which color of primer you used and how thick you spray the paint on your model. Also, different colors need all different sort's of layer to get a good coverage.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was playing with both kits last night, and I could see that there isn’t a lot of surface area on two helos, but that F-117 is huge, I’m guessing it’s about 3 square feet or more of surface area. I think I will need two bottles of black to be sure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having used Dk Gull Gray over gray primer on both interiors of the Blackhawks, I realized that this stuff does not go far at all. I used 40% of a fresh full bottle on the the interiors of each kit. However, I have no complaints on the color quality, sprayability, and especially easy clean up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Having used Dk Gull Gray over gray primer on both interiors of the Blackhawks, I realized that this stuff does not go far at all. I used 40% of a fresh full bottle on the the interiors of each kit. However, I have no complaints on the color quality, sprayability, and especially easy clean up. 

What PSI you shooting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe hit the paint manufacturers website and see if they offer coverage estimates...?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thing:

sS78wN.jpgUsed 3/4 of a bottle of Richthofen's Red over the white base coat.  Bear in mind I didn't have to paint a lot of areas due to the design.  IIRC, the black took a few coats to reach opacity, over the white base coat.

 

This thing:  (in 1/48 scale)

96A0PP.jpg

Which is about the same size as a 1/32 single engined plane, used only 1/3 of a bottle of RLM 76 over both gray primer and RLM 74&75.  Not much paint was required due to the similarities of color. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 2:21 PM, 1to1scale said:

I have a question for anyone that has used these paints to paint large scale, I am needing to order some paint and have questions as to how much coverage per bottle. I am getting ready to start two 1/35 Blackhawks and want to know if one bottle of helo drab will cover both kits? And also need a bottle of black for my F-117, wondering if one bottle will cover that also. My thought is that 30ml should be fine, but I have limited experience with MRP other than small parts.

I use MRP, GSI & Tamiya paints.

One bottle sounds like too much. No need for concern. IHTH. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have played around and am finding that 22 psi was too much, 20 was better, and 15 is much better. I was getting a lot of excess overspray with pressures I would use for Tamiya paint. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have around 12 psi dialed in on my compressors.  I find the paint flows well. Although some colours need more or even less, depending on the task at hand.

My compressor is telling me now that I left it on overnight. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 5:14 PM, GazzaS said:

 

 

This thing:  (in 1/48 scale)

96A0PP.jpg

Which is about the same size as a 1/32 single engined plane, used only 1/3 of a bottle of RLM 76 over both gray primer and RLM 74&75.  Not much paint was required due to the similarities of color. 

 

 

 

 

Hi Gaz.

Did you use the scotchbrite method (I don't know the proper name)to paint the Dornier?

I reckon it looks great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 6:42 AM, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Hi Gaz.

Did you use the scotchbrite method (I don't know the proper name)to paint the Dornier?

I reckon it looks great.

Thank you, Dale.  The cloud pattern was all done by hand, mostly in figure eights.  At around 8PSI I tried to simulate how a 1/48 scale man would have done it with his limited reach and with occasional bouts with boredom.

 

Gaz

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you, Dale.  The cloud pattern was all done by hand, mostly in figure eights.  At around 8PSI I tried to simulate how a 1/48 scale man would have done it with his limited reach and with occasional bouts with boredom.

 

Gaz

8 psi! Never worked that low. Is it worth turning the compressor on, or do you just use a straw!??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2020 at 9:22 AM, GusMac said:

8 psi! Never worked that low. Is it worth turning the compressor on, or do you just use a straw!??

To get the pencil thin line, it's best to thin the MRP with self-levelling thinner.  Around 8 is where I start testing.  Then I go up or down depending on how the paint is landing on the latex glove I wear.  But my lungs couldn't perform that long.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GazzaS said:

To get the pencil thin line, it's best to thin the MRP with self-levelling thinner.  Around 8 is where I start testing.  Then I go up or down depending on how the paint is landing on the latex glove I wear.  But my lungs couldn't perform that long.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got some MRP titanium coming.  How well can you mask over the MRP paint without lifting issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TJTX said:

I've got some MRP titanium coming.  How well can you mask over the MRP paint without lifting issues?

If it's primed it takes masks very well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smitty bought me some MRP for Christmas last year.   

I went back to Gunze Mr. Color.

Nothing wrong whatsoever with MRP, but I just know Gunze a whole lot better.

But being able to spray reliably at 8 psi interests me greatly, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 5:21 AM, TJTX said:

I've got some MRP titanium coming.  How well can you mask over the MRP paint without lifting issues?

sS78wN.jpg

This was all MRP masked over MRP paint and MRP Primer.  Grey MRP Primer covered by a insignia white MRP basecoat.  I had two small incidences of lift on the underside.  That being said, I went to extra lengths to ensure that the surface was paint friendly.  I sanded everything with 2,000 grit paper, and wore gloves to keep skin oils from contaminating the surface.  It is possible that I missed a couple tiny spots where I had paint lift, or that I contaminated them with skin oils by accident.  The lift was red over white, whilst the primer didn't lift anywhere.

 

HTH,

 

Gaz

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...