The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

IBG models PZL P.11c. Finished

• Administrators
7 hours ago, GusMac said:

Lovely job Ernie. The seatbelts do look pretty good for PE. I truly hate PE belts especially for jets but no-one seems to do the paper type for anything much post WWII

Hey Gus,

one question,

what’s a “jet”?

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Hey Gus,

one question,

what’s a “jet”?

Dementia Ernie? :rofl: To help you out, a jet is where they forgot to add a propeller to the airframe and build bigger exhausts as substitutes.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

• Administrators
2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Dementia Ernie? :rofl: To help you out, a jet is where they forgot to add a propeller to the airframe and build bigger exhausts as substitutes.

Cheers Rob

Busted!  

I guess it’s true when they say “the internet is forever” And my past comes back to haunt me. 

I deny any knowledge of that dastardly and blatantly hurtful lie!

:rofl:

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I guess it’s true when they say “the internet is forever” And my past comes back to haunt me.

C'mon Ernie, a bit more than a year is FOREVER to you :D

20 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I deny any knowledge of that dastardly and blatantly hurtful lie!

Yeah right, some other Clunkmeister hijacked your account :lol:

Cheers Rob 

• Like 6

• Administrators
15 hours ago, DocRob said:

C'mon Ernie, a bit more than a year is FOREVER to you :D

Yeah right, some other Clunkmeister hijacked your account :lol:

Cheers Rob 

Rob, I feel,Ike a dirty politician caught with his hand in the cookie jar.   :rofl:

• Like 6

• Administrators

But onward and upward. I’ve not had much time this last day, but found a couple hours tonight. 

Did some detailing and added a few prominent lines and wires.   Also have the floor a bit of love with some Bragdon powder. 

The pics were sent to me by a Polish gentleman who saved me a trip to Kraków. Notice that the originl aircraft must have been an Officer’s Mount. No enlisted pilot would ever be issued a comfy cushion and HORROR, a soft cushy backrest in his airplane.  They’d get the base model with the cold aluminum seat pan.

F665240B-ED1A-4887-9571-211626AA69B1.jpeg

DE7AFED0-74A9-4BBE-BDAD-CA223ECDAC7C.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Opinions?  Too brown, too green?  Heck it looks spot on to the Eyeball Mk.1a

Hard to tell from that pic. To me it seems a tad too greenish and too dark, but I'm no expert on Polish planes. For my 1/48 Karas I bought A011 Light Polish Khaki from Hataka and if I follow their drift, that should be the Colour for the PZL-11 too.

https://shop.hataka-hobby.com/aviation-paint-sets/21-htk-as01-polish-air-force-paint-set.html

Is that gap in front of the cockpit on purpose?

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

• Administrators
3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Hard to tell from that pic. To me it seems a tad too greenish and too dark, but I'm no expert on Polish planes. For my 1/48 Karas I bought A011 Light Polish Khaki from Hataka and if I follow their drift, that should be the Colour for the PZL-11 too.

https://shop.hataka-hobby.com/aviation-paint-sets/21-htk-as01-polish-air-force-paint-set.html

Is that gap in front of the cockpit on purpose?

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, I think it’s just the lighting on the colors, but I’m going to also check that Hataka pack as well.

Yes, it’s just not pressed together. It closes beautifully.

• Like 5

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

That pit looks stupendous Ernie, love the worn leather on the headrest......

Thanks Phil. this kit makes it look easy. Believe me, it's all the kit and very little of me here.

• Like 6

• Administrators

Well, I can’t get the Hataka paint, so my home brew will need to work.  I’m starting with this. Pretty close I think, but I’ll doctor it up a bit.

Mission Rail Tie Brown, plus lightening though weathering as well.

D6D954F2-6687-4F52-BE08-19550132B9F5.jpeg

DA0744DF-11AC-4248-B0B7-767AE8EB973D.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, HubertB said:

Ernie, if you want the decals for the extra scheme in the premium box (it has a white gull-wing type line on the upper wing), just let me know and it’s yours. 

Hubert

Hubert, I'd love that!  The standard boxing has some pretty drab options, and I was actually looking at raiding my Silver Wings kit for a scheme.

• Like 4

It’s yours my friend.

All schemes are fairly boring, given the khaki prevalence at the time in the Polish Air Force.

In fact there are only 3 « interesting » schemes for the P11 to my eye. The racing P11 that Marcin Matejko has scratchbuilt on LSP, the P11 interned in Hungary in 1940, and subsequently used as a trainer and tow for gliders, but both are « a » variants, with a higher engine thrust-line, a shorter fuselage and a different tail fin and rudder, or the 1934 Paris Airshow demonstrator, which I am going to do.

Hubert

• Like 5

• Administrators

Agreed. Some of the Romanian machines have a bit of "pop" to them, but to me, the beauty of the design is, well, the beauty of the design.  Look how Polish engineers, in the early to mid 30s, tried every trick they knew to reduce drag.  I dare say a variable pitch 3 blade propeller, a couple hundred extra horses under the bonnet, leaving the cockpit hood in place, and folding legs would have helped it considerably. But as it is, it was the most advanced fighter aircraft in the worls in 1935 when it was introduced. The Brits were flying Furys for goodness sake.

• Like 4

Don't know if this will help, but these are a couple of photos I took two years ago on a trip to Poland. From what I understand , during this latest restoration they matched the Khaki to paint patches and oversprays that were hidden under overlapped panels and inside panels. It turns out to be much closer to brown than green or olive. I've seen it compared to RAF Dark Earth, with a little green. I'm no expert on Polish colours yet, but from what I have read they took pains to get the colours correct. 

Others here may know more. 

Richard

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• Administrators

Thanks Richard. I think I have the color pretty darn close. :) I’m going to use it, but will modulate it somewhat on the model.

But I’m grabbing some Hataka paint as well. 

That airplane is a true National Treasure!  The only one left anywhere in the world. I will get to Kraków to see it in person one of these years.

I’m surprised they even run the engine and taxi it around the field. I hope they shut down air traffic for miles when they do. I’d hate to see it get T-Boned by Mom and Pop in their Cessna Out Dvorak a joyride on some Sunday afternoon. 

I can understand the Polish not wanting to fly it.....

• Like 5