The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/18 Focke-Wulf Fw190C V18 'Känguruh'

evening folks

not had too much bench time strangely, but thought I would drop in with progress - most of my time has been building up a big PE fret of many, many parts..

first up, I got a 3D printed console and made up a litho side panel - the details on this will be replaced by PE...

WIP0128_zpsuzgtskdu.jpg

Also made the sidewalls and added the doubler and the single stringer that runs fore and aft.. (though I made it too long, it stops at the Instrument panel but anyway..

WIP0130_zpshfkt2rmb.jpg

..now to the PE - I have spent ages trying to find drawings and have a CD off ebay and the few manuals available, but they are mostly illustrations rather than schematics and really to do this properly you need a good dimensioned drawing..

anyways - some of the stuff on here:

floors

radiators

cockpit panels

canopy panels

canopy details

bulkheads

seat parts

rudder pedals

cowl flaps

prop blade bosses

exhaust parts

..basically months and months of parts if I had to make them traditionally.. take a look around

WIP0136_zps3oiwpcho.jpg

I always print them so I can check they are sized correctly..

WIP0131_zpsf3zfyast.jpg

WIP0133_zpsg7bg9ojg.jpg

WIP0135_zpshrzdlw8p.jpg

..here I can see I used the wrong fuselage template for the sides so these rear fuselage panels wouldn't fit properly.. (though they mount slightly forward of this position on the seat rails)..

WIP0132_zpstgyhpuwn.jpg

..the radiator parts fit well..

WIP0134_zps0fu42ger.jpg

..so these need to get off to PPD to be etched, but they are still in or recovering from lockdown so there will be a delay in production

I also put a walkaround of all the parts and a 'how to' video on Patreon so folks can see how easy this all really is

TTFN
Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey folks :)

So while I wait for the PE, a few little things done..

..the big under fuselage airscoop needed a resin nose so I could hollow it out so this was thrown in a mould..

pnjBanB7j

..then cast and starting to drill out the waste..

pnlfDEwOj

..and it's good enough to skin when the time comes..

pmasFkIDj

..also the cowl was reshaped as the front opening was a bit too wide.. also added fake cowl flaps so I can get the positioning of the radiator and the rounding of the fuselage under them..

pm7rA6yzj

and here my nice 3D fuselage front has been reworked, the centre spigot made bigger and the exhaust port openings made up..

pmv9sddvj

..the 3D radiator was split in two and a spacer added to get the right width..

poTX9KEVj

..that was then skinned in brass until the PE turns up..

poX8e8EPj

..so now the spacing internally in the cowl is correct..

pmkOLft2j

..the spinner was next, a backplate detail was made with rivet detail..

pnQ154Ghj

..this was then painted RLM 66 (hope thats right..)

pot5MV4bj

..then rivets added and an alclad basecoat..

pnfz2U6uj

and I decided for now to shoot the spinner black and wire wool it to see some of the rivet detail..

pmfmX6Loj

..for the blades, I scaled a good profile picture and looked at whether I could repurpose either the Hobbyboss or the 21st Century Toys blade to suit..

pnV5oSTJj

..decided on the Fw190D blade and stuck the profile to the blade and dremelled away the difference..

pmeyUCMYj

..and after finishing a master, I cast 3 more..

pmAGvV6Qj

..and the prop is nearly finished - I still need to add all the PE parts at the base of each blade (pitch controls?) they are notched discs present on most blades..

pm5Kohvrj

pn5tCPohj

..just waiting for the PE now before I can really get started..

TTFN
Peter

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hi Peter - my apologies if you've mentioned this and I missed it. Your printed parts are coming out wonderful - are you printing them yourself, or if you're using a service, who's printing them for you?

Cheers

Hamish.

• Like 4

woohoo the custom PE is here :)

pm2NaiXTj

prop blade root rings and radiator..

pnG2OTJVj

two kinds of cockpit stowage hatch & cowl flaps..

po5DCElWj

cockpit floor parts

pm0PesVmj

lower panel & canopy enclosure parts

podajcdPj

upper panel & bezels, central console & bezels..

poFUmWnnj

rudder pedals and rear upper cockpit under the canopy

pmdo1YtKj

bulkheads & floor parts

pnkH0uIej

radiator & hood winding wheel, armour plate & seat parts - one of the radiator halves didn't come out so PPD will do this again..

pnaFWPPZj

all good to get started properly now :)

On 6/11/2020 at 12:14 AM, Woadism said:

Hi Peter - my apologies if you've mentioned this and I missed it. Your printed parts are coming out wonderful - are you printing them yourself, or if you're using a service, who's printing them for you?

Cheers

Hamish.

Hi Hamish, no I don't print them, I have a good friend Tim Perry (Wunwinglow on LSP) who does that for me :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

evening ladies :)

got a good session in over the weekend, so a bit more to show..

the prop blade root rings were laminated & assembled...

pmL2CFHsj

..not fixed yet, but slid on for size..

pmQFJeTOj

..and what they will look like on the prop..

pn39AnUgj

..the floor parts were prepared, some are laminates and the one in the middle needed the rectangular pressing adding by first making a template and working some annealed litho..

the far left part is the firewall bulkhead..

pncb1p96j

..the base part for the rear canopy had a brass channel added to the back..

pmfgsnD0j

..this was then added and a little bit of P38 filler to just fair it in just right..

.the rough holes in the floor are just that - rough holes in the floor (to allow the proper holes to be see through)

pmX8KnDbj

..to make the pressing that is behind the seat and holds the baggage hatch, I made up a buck in thick plastic card so I could form a metal one over it..

po9PfOFij

..the first stage in forming - this is after a little hammering and pressing with wooden tools..

pnniTsTTj

..and after finessing a bit...

poTnPub2j

..I actually decided to leave the part on the buck and integrate that into the model - here the floors have been fitted, but the seat bulkhead is just resting in place..

polPDTbhj

poLbrGlGj

pnWBhzu4j

pnyfzJ1Bj

..it's nice to get going now I have the PE - lots of little projects I can get on with..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hey folks :)

Started working on the cowling having sorted the prop out – it’s unpainted NMF and split into four panels…

pmGBJ600j

..before I could do that I needed to form the fairing that goes from the fuselage in behind the radiator, so this was roughed out in litho in two parts..

poNNYhvxj

..then once finessed a bit, I marked the locations of the rods that control the cowl flaps..

pnfwCuXIj

..with that done the cowl was temporarily added to mark out the panel lines with cotton and draw them on..

pmGcMNzoj

..then the first panel was laid down starting with the flat part at the rear and working the metal forward over the cowl lip..

po6Ha9O4j

..that ultimately failed as all the folds & kinks formed on the cowl lip and in sanding them to a reasonable finish it started to get too thin & break up..

So take 2 was to start forming at the lip and work backwards, but this too resulted in too many deep folds and a pretty crap finish..

pnRStSBmj

..the front of the cowl finished up well, so I thought I could maybe do it in two parts, by removing & replacing the rear section where the cowling is flat..

poXfHWm6j

..to repeat this four times for each panel would be a pain so I finally decided to start again but with one forward part for the whole lip and try and get it to conform as far back as possible..

pmR2yvpMj

..then once this was trimmed, one sheet was wrapped around the rear…

pnn44Fa1j

..it was then burnished down to overlap the cowl nose part…

pmQHApLij

..then sanded away the overlap getting a near invisible join..

pnBF4igsj

..then the panel lines were marked out again..

pmdtOLAFj

..and the panels scored into it and rivets added – here also the cowl flaps are taped in place..

pmdANItJj

..also test fitted the PE parts for the radiator which fitted beautifully..

pojcGxdIj

..then the nose could be dry fitted for testing looks & fit..

poZIjfgwj

..it was really difficult to skin the cowling and I am not 100% happy with it, but I can’t face doing it all again..

pnZBaJbBj

poZ3LfK3j

one thing I am not sure about are the internal colours for things like the inside of the cowl – on the P51 it is interior green or zinc chromate, on a 190 I assume it’s RLM66 in the cockpit, but are internal parts either RLM02 or anodised metal? Any thoughts welcome

TTFN

Peter

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Evening all :)

Not a huge amount to report as only had limited time at the bench in the last few days, but a few more bits done..

First the rudder pedals – here are the main parts from the PE I designed..

pnPT2q8Lj

..these were folded up and can be seen at the top, while all the other components that make up the complex casting and the two layers of heel stop are below..

pnz5THjjj

..these were assembled so that the main bits were all together..

po4pUM7Ij

..and then assembled with some footstraps from lead..  I need to find some better references for the pistons and brackets that these fit to before going any further..

pnwytwlIj

moving to the radiator – you can see on the front face there are some kind of structure at top and bottom, with the upper one having some kind of thing on it – I thought it was maybe an engine logo, but settled on some sort of filler cap.. I sound vague, because this is all I have to go on..

pm90QEM4j

..I painted and added the PE radiator fronts and the spoke type things and made up the upper and lower shapes as best I could from tracings from that photo..

pnWdjzx2j

..they look a lighter colour to me so tried to make a sort of anodised / RLM 02 style colour..

pmCaIGNgj

..and what they look like on the model..

poJW6SmVj

pojyvk1Kj

pmIGidOtj

..and that’s it – told you it wasn’t a lot :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hello again my friends :)

A little update on the 190…

..added the PE part to the seat pan and made up a buck to vacform the seat back – I tried it in metal but it was not only too thin, but the folds were too straight, that is to say the seat back has quite radiused corners where the metal was folded / pressed to make it..

..this is before I cut the back down as it was too tall..

pn3aQujDj

..then made up a little jig to add the mounting lugs..

po35PWwGj

..and assembled & painted.. I am using MRP Paints RLM66 and am really struggling with it – it seems to dry and go syrupy in the airbrush paint cup almost immediately and the finish is quite rough – I might redo it and try thinning it.. I am also not sure about the colour – it looks very dark to me…

poHzeo9Fj

..next up are the two small bulkheads that are mounted to the seat rails – the left hand one has the round oxygen thing that the pilot whacks with his elbow if the cockpit depressurises and it creates an oxygen mist..

pm1mV4Opj

..I made up the seat rails from brass ‘I’ beams with the sides filed down to the two different widths they are in reality, and added the PE bulkhead laminates… I also made up the oxygen thing..

pm4Jw4kuj

..and painted them…

pnsx3KYNj

..in readiness for fitting them, I made up the canopy rails from brass square section with a slot cut into it and fitted these to the sidewall parts so I knew where the seat rail bulkheads needed to integrate with..

pojBEhumj

..also added the rear cockpit skin with the riveting to the pointed part under the canopy..

pokfqMECj

..then the cockpit area was painted as I worried I wouldn’t be able to get in all the nooks and crannies and the bulkheads added..

pmHaWGK6j

..and with the seat dry fitted..

pnYv3IV4j

..still not sure about the colour…

Has anyone got any recommendations for an idiotproof RLM66 that is maybe a bit lighter (& bluer?)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 5

Amazing work and I can't tell were to start the praise. Therefore I keep it a general Chapeau ;).
For RLM 66 I mostly use AK's version (AK 2004). It's a little lighter than yours, but not more blueish.

I used it here on my Nachtigall build and yes; I know, it's always hard to judge Colours from pictures. It sprays very fine and looks good to me.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Rob, 

The '66 looks a little dark on the seat I'm isolation, but is spot-on in the other shots. It may just be the angle of the lighting. Later in the war the '66 could turn a little green due to the addition of Zinc Chromate, but it never had a blue tint.

S

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon gentlemen

Some Fw190 bobbins for your entertainment..

..I painted the layers of PE for the instrument panel – there is a backplate (not shown), a layer with just the bezel surrounds and the blanked instrument in black, and the detail layer in RLM66..

The lower panel has some colour coding (thanks Roger) for the instruments that are on their way and should be here next week..

pnbSvyvej

..also made the ‘Ausgleichsgefäss’ that sits under the main panel from many punched discs (the 3D print didn’t really work..)

pnRGr4Tgj

..and the artificial horizon, now just awaiting instruments & placard decals…

pmFB8ZSyj

..while waiting I have been readying all the PE I will need for the gear wells and a load of other bits – using lots of pictures like this to map it all out..

Notice the dimples and the raised ribbed panel next to them..

pnSiaIYOj

..after many hours of work, here you can see the mainspar, wheelwell roof and some of the wing ribs printed out, stuck to litho and being test fitted..

po1Sk09Ij

pnL34BwCj

..I wanted to start with the roof as these won’t be PE anyway, the drawings are just to give me working templates..

..here printed, stuck to a sheet of Perspex and all the centres of all the dimples being marked..

pmX0a6d8j

..and my first ever use of my new mini Proxxon milling machine to machine the depressions..

pmgCQDVQj

..added the sidewalls and some filler to fair them in as the pressing is curved at the sides and primed to make sure all was well..

po4RGIjyj

..starting to work annealed litho into the female mould… the completed one you can see at the front is the first version I did in a video episode on my Patreon build after which I realised I had made the depressions too big (& therefore the dimples..)

pnf4FxmSj

..re-adding a template so I can see the panel outline and start cutting it to shape..

poTmYBGgj

..and the completed parts…

pmTilQpGj

..the ribbed panel was approached in a similar way, just reversed so instead of dimples it makes raised strengthening ribs..

..sticking templates down to mark out where the ribs go..

potkZAWKj

..ribs added and a wash of thin CA..

pmvt6mp1j

..cleaned up, rounded edges and primed..

pmoelxoVj

..litho being worked into shape..

pnLQ3BqEj

..and the finished panels with the rivets etc added..

pnBMJVa4j

..a day’s work…

poX8HV6nj

..and checking for fit..

pnCeBUxzj

pn8kZ3dTj

..happy with how they turned out, and don’t forget, if you want to see how parts like this are made and join me in the ups and downs of this build, please join my Patreon

TTFN

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lovely detail work there Peter,

I myself am trying (without much luck) to replicate this in styrene for a Hasegawa 1/32 kit. I should mention though, that the FW190 wheel wells were not completely flat horizontal in the top section, but tapered into the centre somewhat, and moreso towards the front of the airframe. This was to enable enough clearance for FW to be able to fit the BMW radial motor into the space.

norwaywings.jpg.e54136e2331bfdb5930eca7b4e35a576.jpg

However; for this prototype, and much like the later on-line engines D series, I'm not entirely certain the wheel well would have had a roof to it.

S

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon my friends

On 7/12/2020 at 11:31 PM, Wumm said:

Lovely detail work there Peter,

I myself am trying (without much luck) to replicate this in styrene for a Hasegawa 1/32 kit. I should mention though, that the FW190 wheel wells were not completely flat horizontal in the top section, but tapered into the centre somewhat, and moreso towards the front of the airframe. This was to enable enough clearance for FW to be able to fit the BMW radial motor into the space.

norwaywings.jpg.e54136e2331bfdb5930eca7b4e35a576.jpg

However; for this prototype, and much like the later on-line engines D series, I'm not entirely certain the wheel well would have had a roof to it.

S

That is an incredibly useful photo Wumm, thank you - I agree about it is likely those panels were removed, especially as there is a chuffing great big pipe going from the engine, out of the rear of the wheel well to the under fuselage scoop - still, I have made them now so will prolly keep them in :)

Something arrived in the post this week which has meant I could crack on with my favourite part of any build..

..this stack are the custom decals for the 190 that I had in the corner of a layout sheet for an airscale restock. The good thing is they are super high quality decals, the bad thing is I have 75 copies as that was the sheet order size for one of the layouts… I only need one of any decal on the sheet as I have so many copies and it keeps the sheet size down, plus there are a few bits on there for friends

pnhhHrE9j

..anyways, I don’t have any WIP shots, but I have been busy – this is the V15 cockpit I am basing the V18 on..

pmy9DTwDj

..and my version..

..upper panel..

pmvmlR90j

pokObuf5j

panel in front of the control stick..

pmU4hl8vj

lower panel..

pnz5mubWj

poccOuPsj

pmNHuV44j

..and sort of how they go together..

po6m7t8yj

pmcUWetYj

..and that’s that – favourite bit done, it’s all downhill from here :ph34r:

TTFN

Peter

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks :)

Bit more Fw190 action..

I have been hopping about trying to phase things so I don’t for example do the interior then bash it about while trying to do some heavy engineering on the wings, but in some ways some of it doesn’t matter as any part you pick, ultimately has to be done sometime..

I thought I would get the tailplanes out of the way, so scaled the Bentley plans and made a 2mm card blank – let in and added a rod spar that is located where there is a tube now in the fuselage..

..by doing it as one part it ensures alignment etc..

pnPNNPbVj

..some templates were added to define the cross section and aerofoil and this was bulked out with P38 filler and primed / worked until I had the basic shapes..

po10Gp27j

..added some litho details that can be seen if the elevators are posed anywhere but neutral..

pm09C8sAj

..drew out the rivet pattern from photo’s and made up 4 skin panels..

poB7Ac3Ej

..I noticed the leading edge is a real ‘bull-nose’ and pretty ungainly – it also sits on top of the skin panels as can be seen here..

pohGgKVFj

..I had made the skins slightly too wide at the leading edge so I can try and replicate this – started by wrapping in annealed litho..

pnn8dJugj

..then once fixed down it was trimmed to the slight overlap..

pnVmZJBzj

..the tips were in three parts – one bent around the tip laterally in litho that has not been annealed to get a good crisp and strong trailing edge, and then upper & lower skin panels that were softer after annealing..

pm3UFvUFj

..and the finished parts – also added some big fixing rivets on the tips I saw on refs..

pnwLSHRqj

pnOcChthj

poqi8MA4j

..then onto the wings – they needed the shapes around the ailerons correcting so correctly shaped litho strip sheet parts were cut and faired into the wing – along with removing all the moulded detail from the HB kit..

pngKxJLsj

..I also used one of the holes in each wing to fill them with expanding foam that goes rock hard inside and gives a solid core..

pme6kDk5j

..after priming and with a rivet template printed out derived from a photo..

pot6qdccj

..then the first panel gets prepared to be laid down with tape as a hinge holding it in position and also masking where I don’t want contact adhesive..

pmZIg1uUj

..the panels sit atop each other like the Spitfire, so these are the first two laid down..

pma7zdMvj

pnH7ZQy4j

..now I need some help from the community :) – I have no rivet plans and have been deriving from photo’s – I have lots of photo’s of the bottom of the wings, but none of the top (without paint so the rivets can be seen) – does anyone know where I might get a good rivet drawing or resto photo’s of the top of the wing?

Thanks all in advance & TTFN

Peter

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Peter, 

You're definitely in luck, in that the V18 prototype was built from the A-0 W.Nr. 0040, and had the new standard wing, unlike the smaller wings of the initial 14 examples.

This scan is from the Aero Detail #2 book on the Fw-190 D-9, and it's the reference I'm using for my rivet patterns.

IMG_20200802_112158.thumb.jpg.e5c6386f0a1796df9642d471dc52e04b.jpg

There are a couple of differences to mention between the early '190 wing and the late wing. The Dora utilised the late standard wing, which was prepared to the Fieseler pattern to accommodate the addition of outer MK 108 30mm guns on the variants so equipped (A-7 MK, A-8 R2/R8 and theoretically the D-11). The area under the small rectangle shown was left open to allow the rear of the 30mm cannon to clear the surface, and then covered with a small rectangular bulge... So this rectangle would not exist on your wings. Secondly, the inner wing MG 17 cover on the A-0 was a different shape than seen here for the later MG 151 wings guns that later became standard. I cannot find a clear photo of these covers on the V-18, so it's your call I guess as to whether these were changed to the later standard.

IMG_20200802_113746.jpg.499991e35f1d30683a3f0f4bd4aebfa1.jpg

Lastly, I have circled an area of extensive rivets in the centre of the wing between the main spar and the U/C bays, this was to attach applique panels on the inside of the skin in these areas, and is correct for all Fw190 wings.

HTH,

S

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1