The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Zoukie-Mura F4J Phantom II Marines - 1/48

Bomber_County

14 hours ago, GusMac said:

Lookin' good Phil :thumbsup2:

Thanks Gus, still not happy with the metallic back end but as I said before to correct it I’d have to strip the whole thing.........

12 hours ago, DocRob said:

Like Gus said, your F4 looks great. Just one or two stencils to add... :lol:.

Cheers Rob

thanks Rob, man did they know how to add reading material to an airframe......

• Like 5

On 10/3/2020 at 6:13 PM, 1to1scale said:

Looks great, but you corrupted me...I have an F-4C coming my way.

sweet.....,you’ll enjoy the build, the engineering IMHO is first rate.......please do a build log.......also for a 48th its still a big airframe....

• Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 6:38 AM, Bomber_County said:

Remember this one.......well I didn’t strip it, just left it sitting until I came up with an idea...........and it’s arrived and it works.........so on with the build.......hope and pray the decals don’t silver etc.........:blink:

So, what did you do? From the looks of it you just sprayed over the "mistake" which is what I was going to suggest. Looks great!!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, J.P. said:

So, what did you do? From the looks of it you just sprayed over the "mistake" which is what I was going to suggest. Looks great!!!!

Thanks JP, the rear stab and small amount of fuselage should have been metallic, I’d Sprayed with Future prior to decals then found the error. I tried AK Extreme metals but they reacted with the Future and the Vallejo beneath. Used a mixture of Vallejo gunmetal and gull grey and actual hand painted ........I’ll hit the brightness once the decals are done and a Matt coat is applied....this has been a learnings curve.....

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

It’s finished, there still a couple of areas I’m not happy with but overall I’m happy. As this was my first jet I’ve mixed feelings. Loved the build portion the ZM kit is brilliant. I messed up with the spraying, forgot different areas to be sprayed, didn’t read the colour instructions etc etc.......The Cartograf decals were great but I still have some silvering. Anyway I think I will do another jet but take a different approach next time to the finishing......

E4DE7213-6CD4-44B4-9223-9751A0AFD97D.thumb.jpeg.53150cfd930ab0461df6409a4c9f2f57.jpeg

01951590-8574-44BC-B45B-8FA0F51F6273.thumb.jpeg.6a63559e60f2d80ad513b5e6a6aab45a.jpeg

830A33F5-E806-4E87-ABA8-08806153A04D.thumb.jpeg.83a05c33c26712be6644daecd458e0b7.jpeg

DEFBF331-F83C-457B-B9F5-A64294D402F9.thumb.jpeg.0eaaa22c5131e7b65deff5f88ad63cbe.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

Looks fantastic! I’m just getting started on mine, hope it turned out as good as yours.

Appreciated, all I’d say is double check the painting instructions that’s where I tripped up, by the way this Gull Grey.....

1 hour ago, Jackster said:

Looks very nice Phil, cracking job!

Thanks Kev, really appreciated, quite pleased with my first jet....

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

.The Cartograf decals were great but I still have some silvering. Anyway I think I will do another jet but take a different approach next time to the finishing......

I had the same issue with Cartograph decals silvering when I did my AH-1Z, I used Microset, MicroSol, and then I tried Solvaset, however, when I tried Mr Mark Softer, they melted into the paint beautifully. I have had significant decal issues the last few builds, and have traced it down to certain colors have the worst silvering, and certain decal solutions do nothing. All have been reputable decals, I now have taken a new approach and started spraying a test piece of plastic with the colors, and trying the decals with different solutions. I even took the drastic step of ordering decal adhesive from Japan, made by Tamiya. 

Don’t be discouraged, it’s all about learning what works. For me, the game changer has been switching to lacquer paints since this summer, while it does not affect decals and differently, I do find that the overall surface finish is significantly smoother and thinner, and the use of leveling thinners makes a real improvement to that finish. I have taken the approach of learning something new on every model, I try a new method, paint, weathering, etc. I feel my last three models have been the best ever.

I know a lot of modelers, that always do the same thing, but don’t grow and learn. Just knowing what you did didn’t work and why is half the battle, we learn from mistakes , not success. Get back on the horse And build another jet right away, but make a  vow to try something different on the paint that didn’t turn out right, and you might surprise yourself.

And your phantom looks great, most people would look at it and say “wow”. We tend to be our own worst critics, I give it two thumbs up! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Looking good Phil, I like those Marines birds and especially the F4, with her unique design. Your colourful paintjob is nice and clean and so much more appealing than the low-viz schemes. 

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, I did struggle with the paint job but learnt a lot.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

I had the same issue with Cartograf 

And your phantom looks great, most people would look at it and say “wow”. We tend to be our own worst critics, I give it two thumbs up! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I am glad I’m not the only one. The decals silvered on my SH Tempest as well. On the F4, I put down a coat of Future first then as you did Microsol and Microset. I haven’t ever used any “Mr” products but will add it to the next order. Presumably it didn’t react with the Micro products?

You’re right, I am very self critical of anything I do but have learnt that you must finish at some point.............sound advise on the have another try, if you don’t make mistakes you are not learning........appreciate your kind words......

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Gaz, appreciated. I learnt a lot of this one, i shall do another jet but not sure what.......

If the subject interests you, the Great Wall Hobby kits like the Su-35, F-14, Mig-29 are amazing detail and build quality, they give Tamiya a run for the money. 

Also, the new Tamiya F-14 is amazing build quality too. Also, AMK Russian Mig-25/31’s are really good.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

AMK Russian Mig-25/31’s are really good.

There is no AMK Mig 25, but I can vouch for the quality of their Mig-31, one of the best fitting and engineered kits, I have ever built. Go for the boxing with metal landing gear if interested, it's a heavy kite and the metal is not soft like SAC stuff.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Did you mean the F15 from GWB as I cannot find the F14. I have heard good things about the AMK F14......

Yes, I apologize, I have been making spelling mistakes all day. I own the F-15B/D as I was wanting to build one of these birds.

I have also wanted to get an AMK F-14, but they have been hard to get for the last few months. 

63DD5568-305E-4F24-B72C-B4966C1B975C.jpeg

4F1C7649-83FA-4306-B8A0-097C61BE24D3.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Sorry, Mig-25 by ICM is the one I have.

C2306C6A-D389-4B1F-8798-1CA680518513.jpeg

This is a nice, yet strange kit.  Most of it has engraved panel lines.  Yet, the largest dorsal piece has raised lines.   It has quite a few small molded-on projections.  I accidentally sanded two off.  Broke off four others, and never managed to get 4 others to remain straight.  And the missiles...  unless you're like me, you'll end up looking for some AM.

ICM...  they put everything except the transparent parts in one bag, and the kit suffers for it.  Still....  you won't find much better.

• Like 5