The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

VNAF T-28

• Administrators

Tony, one thing to watch on this is the canopy. The kit totally missed the unique rollers and lifts for the greenhouses. 
The canopy sections Lift and expand on the front edges.  The hydraulic rams are actually molded into the cockpit sills.  
I just fabbed a few official looking brackets and faked it in there. The first time, I got them too high. So cut them down and they’re good. 

Also, front and rear hoods are always open exactly the same amount. They’re hydraulic and it’s a peculiarity of the type. So the front can’t be cracked and the rear slid all the way back. 

And notice the flaps. They have steps built in for the crew. That’s the only way they can access the cockpit. The flaps are always down when at rest. Actually past full down. There’s a dump on the side of the fuselage to dump the flaps down if the previous hero to fly it neglected to drop the flaps. Then they’d drop to past the full down position.  You can see that in the last two pics. 

27EED167-F531-40D1-B37E-C2EC8FA9ED37.jpeg

20857E42-EFFD-4102-9C43-28D55081BB6E.jpeg

F00B3B34-8000-4927-BB65-822CCD8ED4B4.jpeg

61C4FE5D-82A9-472A-BD58-10C98344CED4.jpeg

1FA74C38-5057-46C2-81A8-9079787D881B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

hey Tony,  does the pitch look a bit coarse on that prop, or is it just the angle of the pic?

Yes, very much so.  That's how they fit so I assumed it was that way for a reason. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, TJTX said:

Yes, very much so.  That's how they fit so I assumed it was that way for a reason. 

Personally, I'd flatten them out a bit. I did the same thing on one of mine and it improved the appearance 100 fold

• Like 5

Cowling is together.   Tighter than a fully stretched rubber band, but together.   Now I'll clean a few joins on the nose then turn my attention to finalizing the wings and attaching them. 

20200520_132408.jpg

• Like 7

Very clean work Tony. Ever since KH released this kit I was tempted to get it, but still waiting for Fennec version. We shall see, maybe one day I'll loose my marbles and go to town with some conversion efforts.  :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Very clean work Tony. Ever since KH released this kit I was tempted to get it, but still waiting for Fennec version. We shall see, maybe one day I'll loose my marbles and go to town with some conversion efforts.  :)

Many of the Fennec parts are in the kit, but you still need the tall 'A' canopy, which isn't in the kit.  Now, if someone could vac one, you'd be golden

• Like 3

The kit cowl flaps suck.  The dont fit in anyway like the real ones and I just couldn't shake how they were sitting.  I slept on it last night and came up with a solution this morning.   I thinned the kit parts, laid a thin sheet of plasticard over the kit parts and sanded to shape. A little piece on the side to extend the sides up as well makes a much better looking piece.  Next I'll work the right side in the same way then I'll see about the lower door.

20200524_095325.jpg

20200524_095340.jpg

20200524_095353.jpg

• Like 5

Also, the join in the tail for the B/D or C parts doesnt fit great and creates a fictional panel line.  I went ahead and threw some sprue filler over it to get rid of it and I'll reapply rivets later.  Got a lot of larger areas drying and I'm frustrated with the flaps so I'll take a little break on this and work on my mosquito for a bit.

20200524_174514.jpg

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Your attention to detail is amazing, any pics on the Mossie.........

Thank you! Ernie has kept me in check on the T-28 and what's right.   No mosquitoe pictures yet, just painted a few engine parts so far.  I actually had a few flights lately (thank goodness) so I've been away from the bench.

• Like 4