Jump to content

American trucks......my soft spot......


Recommended Posts

The purpose of the radius rods is to keep the axle centred within the chassis. It looks like it should sit underneath the centre part between the springs, and go down and slightly outwards to meet the axle.

Is there a notch or attachment somewhere on the front face of the transmission housing, out towards where the wheel attaches?

S

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got the chance to learn how to overtake road trains out in the Pilberra Western Australia. A CB is essential, you call quoting the Road train ID plate# as you approach from behind. it's not the lice

A bunch of years ago, a buddy of mine and I saw another buddy of ours sleeping over the steering wheel of his cabover.  He, not me, got the bright idea go play a trick on him and jack his cab.  S

Danny, NOT trying to Hi-jack your thread, but as we are talking trucks trailers and loads............... this is what happens when one has a very heavy load, going too fast, and ( speculative) possibl

Posted Images

Guest DannyVM
10 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Is there a notch or attachment somewhere on the front face of the transmission housing, out towards where the wheel attaches?

Nope, nothing which seems to mark the space where the radius rods should be attached.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Danny, on the real deal there is a bracket that connects to the spring hanger, so I would say by the look of the part be glued to the outside of the center spring hanger, they are kind of like a torque rod....

Freightliner suspension.jpg

1986-Freightliner-FLC-Suspension-Assys-BxgCMMPaGaLR_f.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all

  Ok, I found some aftermarket stuff for the bulldozer.

1st - scale tracks, there for a D9T, but they are almost the same in real life. And these work just like the real ones!

20200620_113534.jpgThe kit tracks are actually kinda toy like, and they don't work like real ones. They pivot from the wrong place!

20200620_115208.jpg

You can see where they actually have numbers stamped in them...really guys.

20200620_115051.jpg

And from this you can see how crappie they are. This was the main reason I shelved this kit 10 or 12 years ago.

2nd - I found some photo etch stuff for this kit. A new proper grill, a wire fan shroud just like the real one, petals and other small details.

76955251_1070175973313708_777462262523756544_n_large.jpgnot the greatest picture, but you can see the grill and fan shroud. This is from a guy in Canada.

Screenshot_at_Nov_27_19-05-13_large.pnghere you can see it on the model. (This is not mine). You have to cut out the opening behind the grill and you need to modify the fan shroud part from the kit to get the photo etch one to fit. With some wiring and weathering its going to look cool! The guy in Canada (papyhobby.com) also has a cab.

IMG_3594_large.jpgthis is for a D8K but I think I can make it work on the D8H. He also has different blades, rear rippers, rear winch and coversions for a D8K. 

 I found all this stuff late Friday after spending hour after hour on the web with no luck and then bam! I lucked out and found this stuff. Oh! I almost forgot the tracks are from a guy on Shapways (DW toys). He has five links, which is the picture I posted, and a complete set. Since these are for a D9T there are more links then you need to do a D8H. I'm waiting for him to contact me about some questions I have concerning the tracks when I here from him I'll post an answer. That's it for know.

Ron G 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest DannyVM
16 hours ago, Jeff said:

Danny, on the real deal there is a bracket that connects to the spring hanger, so I would say by the look of the part be glued to the outside of the center spring hanger, they are kind of like a torque rod....

Freightliner suspension.jpg

1986-Freightliner-FLC-Suspension-Assys-BxgCMMPaGaLR_f.jpg

Edited 16 hours ago by Jeff

Thank's allot Jeff for this great reference.

So the most logical installment would be to glue them from the inside of the middle part between the two springs, like this......??

gnZLJ8Nl.jpg

b6Dvh4hl.jpg

I dry fitted the part on the outside of the middle but that seem's a very rare installment if you ask me.

ztuu679l.jpg

sKJT0fcl.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems right to me Danny,

The transaxle should then attach under the centre of the leaf springs.

S

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest DannyVM
38 minutes ago, Wumm said:

That seems right to me Danny,

The transaxle should then attach under the centre of the leaf springs.

S

Thank's for the help, much appreciated.:thumbsup2:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wumm said:

That seems right to me Danny,

The transaxle should then attach under the centre of the leaf springs.

S

Yeah, I would agree, Steve, and these days we use 'Trunions' which are the same thing only different... the way Danny has them mounted from the inside looks really good to me....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest DannyVM
5 hours ago, Jeff said:

Yeah, I would agree, Steve, and these days we use 'Trunions' which are the same thing only different... the way Danny has them mounted from the inside looks really good to me....

Thank's guy's. At the moment the chassis is all done, i glued the radius rods like mentioned and indeed that seems to me the correct installment. I will take photo's tomorrow and let you guy's enjoy the hard labour work done.......................:D:lol::lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest DannyVM

Ok guy's i took some photo's.

Regarding the most part's of the chassis, all is glued. Front axle, rear double spring's on both side's, rear axle's, front and rear, air tanks and reserve air tank. 

95hJ2EFl.jpg

eHUwxlLl.jpg

here you see the radius rods which i glued from my opinion into the correct place.

BvZTM8vl.jpg

From above it look's like this.

Sk7Fnkil.jpg

iwnXnPil.jpg

Next thing to do is to add some more part's and some extra details.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all

 Well I ordered the tracks $112.00 bucks!, but they are going to look amazing, and really make this Cat pop! I've started on the bulldozer kit. I'm working on the engine right now, doing small things like filling in sink marks, drilling holes for plumbing this beast. I have a lot of pictures I've pulled off of the internet. The tracks won't be here till around the end of July, takes awhile to proceess, print and ship, when they get here I'll post some pictures of them.

 I'm probably going to do a build thread on this for those that want to follow in the tracks of this beast. :D:construction::lol:

Ron G 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now you guys need to get a Lowbed and Danny can haul the Cat from job to job.................  sounds like a business, in the offing to me ! But with the lowbed you will mot likely need a 'jeep' and a 'booster', with a pilot car and permits as that Cat will be very heavy with the 'U' blade and ripper !

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Jeff

 If you look back, I am building a 50 ton drop nose lowboy to haul the dozer and a three axle Peterbilt 359 tractor to pull it. This whole setup is going to be around 36" long! I'm going to need a big shelf for this...lol

Ron G 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jeff said:

Now you guys need to get a Lowbed and Danny can haul the Cat from job to job.................  sounds like a business, in the offing to me ! But with the lowbed you will mot likely need a 'jeep' and a 'booster', with a pilot car and permits as that Cat will be very heavy with the 'U' blade and ripper !

Also guys,

Remember to plan your route (unlike this guy...)

IMG_20200624_073305.thumb.jpg.e8feac123bf5d2fffdd0107b28144316.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Also guys,

Remember to plan your route (unlike this guy...)

IMG_20200624_073305.thumb.jpg.e8feac123bf5d2fffdd0107b28144316.jpg

This guy is in a Pickle ! And when I had our equipment trailer and was humping a loader or a back hoe, my butt always puckered a little bit going under over passes and rail bridges..... I knew I was clean , but it still used to make me pucker just a little......  I was always better with the low bed,  I knew all was well then....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jeff said:

This guy is in a Pickle !

And how! This is the intersection...

IMG_20200624_083939.thumb.jpg.da02327a2749641c1ea79f250cee5e5d.jpg

With his direction of travel, remembering we drive on the Goofy side here. He had a helper beside him, and would have needed him too; because he would have needed to reverse up a hill, on an angle, on a blind corner into the path of oncoming traffic!

This also highlights the problem nowadays... There are no bridge heights marked on Google maps. A street directory or GPS with his height restriction added in would have warned him, and saved him half an hour and everyone else a lot of grief. 

S

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wumm said:

And how! This is the intersection...

IMG_20200624_083939.thumb.jpg.da02327a2749641c1ea79f250cee5e5d.jpg

With his direction of travel, remembering we drive on the Goofy side here. He had a helper beside him, and would have needed him too; because he would have needed to reverse up a hill, on an angle, on a blind corner into the path of oncoming traffic!

This also highlights the problem nowadays... There are no bridge heights marked on Google maps. A street directory or GPS with his height restriction added in would have warned him, and saved him half an hour and everyone else a lot of grief. 

S

Those are the days , when a guy who always wanted to be a truck driver says to himself...............  "Maybe I should have stayed in school and paid MORE attention"............ I know I had one or two days like that :rolleyes:,............. it is tough if one gets into unfamiliar territory though..... and all this stress is compounded by other motorists, who just want to get going and get him out of the way.................

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Danny, NOT trying to Hi-jack your thread, but as we are talking trucks trailers and loads............... this is what happens when one has a very heavy load, going too fast, and ( speculative) possibly a bit heavy at the top..... 1/2 mile from my house, we were without electricity for 5 hours.... it is still a mess, and traffic is moving albeit 1 hour delays....... second time on this same corner, my daughter was at this EXACT intersection only about 5 minutes before this......

Log Truck accident June 25 1.jpg

Log Truck accident June 25 2.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also don't want to hijack or derail this thread too much, as I am enjoying it thoroughly and learning a lot.  Here in Hawaii, the trucks you see are pretty limited.  Mostly skeletal trailers with 20, 40, or 45 foot containers; flatbed low loader equipment haulers; and fuel tanker trailers.  No sleepers, twin steers, snowplows, or other cool trucks like that.

My question is about a tandem axle tractor I saw that was hauling a fuel tanker.  Although the tractor had two rear axles, only the forward one was powered, and the rear one was freewheeling (like a trailer axle).  I made a guess that having only one driven axle was either to save on fuel or maybe allowed the tractor to have a tighter turning radius than a normal tandem axle tractor.  I asked the driver, (who was a young kid) if he knew why his truck had only one driven axle, but he didn't have any idea, (reminded me of Oddball in Kelly's Heroes, "I just drive 'em; I don't know what makes 'em work").

This was a couple of years ago, and it's bugged me ever since.  Thank you.  -Mike

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mike (and welcome), I'll bite...

A freewheeling beam axle on a tandem setup is called a pusher axle if at the front, or a tag axle if at the rear of the drive wheels. It allows a very slight reduction in the turning circle, but the main advantages are better stability and a smoother ride over a single drive axle, but without the added weight and complexity of a dual drive bogie with it's second differential and set of axle shafts. Beam axles these days can also usually be lifted up from the road surface, saving wear on those tyres when the vehicle isn't carrying a load. Modern Prime Movers with this setup can also pneumatically vary the pressure from the free wheels to the driven wheels for better traction. Dual drive would be more advantageous for cross country or long haul tasks, where maintaing constant speeds over long periods compensates for the extra weight and fuel used.

While I don't drive the Prime Movers at work, the next one's down that I occasionally drive have this system where the rear wheels can be lifted. But we have this arrangement... "Don't mess with my settings" (and always bring it back fuelled up). So your young driver might have been in someone else's rig, or maybe had just never been shown the differences.

Make sense Jeff, Ron?

S

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wumm said:

Hi Mike (and welcome), I'll bite...

A freewheeling beam axle on a tandem setup is called a pusher axle if at the front, or a tag axle if at the rear of the drive wheels. It allows a very slight reduction in the turning circle, but the main advantages are better stability and a smoother ride over a single drive axle, but without the added weight and complexity of a dual drive bogie with it's second differential and set of axle shafts. Beam axles these days can also usually be lifted up from the road surface, saving wear on those tyres when the vehicle isn't carrying a load. Modern Prime Movers with this setup can also pneumatically vary the pressure from the free wheels to the driven wheels for better traction. Dual drive would be more advantageous for cross country or long haul tasks, where maintaing constant speeds over long periods compensates for the extra weight and fuel used.

While I don't drive the Prime Movers at work, the next one's down that I occasionally drive have this system where the rear wheels can be lifted. But we have this arrangement... "Don't mess with my settings" (and always bring it back fuelled up). So your young driver might have been in someone else's rig, or maybe had just never been shown the differences.

Make sense Jeff, Ron?

S

Yes, Steve, it does, here in Canada we used to call them just  a "tag axle" and it also compensated for more weight per axle and GVWR over all. But it has been many years since I have seen a Tag around here. We will see tag axles usually in a big city most for P&D flat deck trucks that would haul lumber, plywood, insulation etc, for your home building projects or the like. But for the line trucks and gravel trucks etc, usually will have full on tandem drive units , mostly due to the extra weight carried and for climbing the hills etc,. I can see in Hawaii, that is mostly flat, a second rear drive axle may not be actually needed to hump huge weight. Also the extra cost associated with a full on tandem drive.   Your explanation hits the mark, perfectly

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest DannyVM
On 6/23/2020 at 5:42 PM, Jeff said:

Now you guys need to get a Lowbed and Danny can haul the Cat from job to job.................  sounds like a business, in the offing to me ! But with the lowbed you will mot likely need a 'jeep' and a 'booster', with a pilot car and permits as that Cat will be very heavy with the 'U' blade and ripper !

Well, look's like a nice idea to me Jeff. I'm planning to do a dio with one of these trucks, not really in mind yet what to do or how i will tackle it, but it's in the develop mode.

On 6/25/2020 at 9:32 PM, Jeff said:

Danny, NOT trying to Hi-jack your thread, but as we are talking trucks trailers and loads............... this is what happens when one has a very heavy load, going too fast, and ( speculative) possibly a bit heavy at the top..... 1/2 mile from my house, we were without electricity for 5 hours.... it is still a mess, and traffic is moving albeit 1 hour delays....... second time on this same corner, my daughter was at this EXACT intersection only about 5 minutes before this......

No sweat jeff, please feel free. All these photo's are nice reference material my friend. 

But oh boy, those lumber logs are big punching needles when they hit a car. Glad your daughter wasn't there at moment of the accident.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest DannyVM

At the moment i'm a little bit disappointed:( because my Freightliner pe isn't delivered yet. I send an email to the online store to sort this out. So the model is on low progress for the moment. I will try to add some scratch plumbing and wiring today to keep the progress on go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...