The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fw190 A5

On 10/6/2020 at 5:13 AM, harv said:

Test fitting the cowl. Needs a little work....harv

20201005_141134.jpg

Harv,

Just some advice for when you eventually get back to this build...

A lot of Modellers, both experienced and novice alike, have trouble with the fitment of the cowl to the lower wing section on this particular kit. The engine facia part is usually a very tight fit within the channel inside the cowl parts, and if not seated correctly can force the cowling to be too wide especially at the bottom where it meets the lower wing parts. Because of the multi-part nature of the lower cowl and cheek bulges, it's easy to miss this extra width until you put it all together; only to find that the lower cowl sits outside of flush by a couple of millimetres each side.

To get a snug fit of these lower wing parts: file down the back of the engine facia part so that it's not inhibiting the fit of the cowl when it's in place; and make sure that you tape together the fuselage, wing spar and all four wing parts (including the centre section) and test fit the cowl first so that there's a snug fit underneath before you commit glue to the power egg parts.

S

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Harv,

there are some who glue the upper wings to the fuselage first.  To me that seems like a good way to keep your wingtips from lining up correctly.  I always glue the wings together before attaching to the fuselage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, back at the bench today. One bad thing about better eyesight is I go back to this and see mistakes ! Spent some time realigning up panels.  They were off by a bit. Pried them loose and replied them. Look better now.....harv

20201014_192700.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 4:41 AM, harv said:

Got a question,  should I glue upper and lower wings befor attaching wing to fuse ?.....harv

Yes. 

The wing spar/undercarriage bay piece has notches facing upwards to accept the fuselage; this greatly assists in getting a snug fit. Have the taped-together fuselage sitting ready to slot into place once you've applied glue to the wing uppers and lowers, and pop the fuselage in between without glue to ensure a snug fit. Use some tape across the top of the gun cowl from tip to tip while everything sets.

HTH,

S

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to say...

Concentrate on one wing at a time. And run a bead of glue atop the wing spar as well, so that it mates with the top wing underside. Once that side is taped up, do the next then put the body in.

The fit is snug enough that it will be fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Forgot to say...

Concentrate on one wing at a time. And run a bead of glue atop the wing spar as well, so that it mates with the top wing underside. Once that side is taped up, do the next then put the body in.

The fit is snug enough that it will be fine.

Steve, how much of this is applicable to the D9 kit? I have one of those to do one day. 

Carl

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Steve, how much of this is applicable to the D9 kit? I have one of those to do one day. 

Carl

Exactly the same Carl...

The D-9 came first, and Hasegawa designed the Anton variants around that extant kit, even to the point that they've used the Fieseler late wing on their A-5 and A-6 kits.

Anton fuselage on the spar and lower wing...

IMG_20201017_085520.thumb.jpg.43591701ac8a47f3fbdd12c9db52d2be.jpg

Paired with the Dora fuselage in the same configuration. The wing sprues in these kits are interchangeable.

IMG_20201017_085552.thumb.jpg.35c2774327e33bf78fc98c66865a405d.jpg

Spar sitting in position in relaxed state, although exaggerated greatly here. Note the gap at the far edge of the U/C bay...

IMG_20201017_085457.thumb.jpg.7f29a446fd9ff39af9d7cfa0ab619023.jpg

Taping wing to wing tightens things up nicely and ensures the correct dihedral while everything sets.

IMG_20201017_085421.thumb.jpg.0f0fb4c3604b2fe6ccba5fc5ab6865f5.jpg

S

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

Harv, I think Phil is right. See what it looks like in the fuselage. If some of the bezels aren't completely filled, you can add a bit more UV gel to them. The few times I've done it, I've used a toothpick to apply it.

Hope that helps. 

Carl

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1