The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

B-24D Sandman completed

JohnB

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Beautiful.................. I always wonder what the real aircrew would think about the attention to detail we model guys go to replicate their rides so accurately...... I be they would be excited and proud to see such accurate replicas..... gorgeous as always , John................

Thanks Jeff. I would expect they would blown away.

• Like 1

If any of you are interested in reading about the Ploesti raid (Operation Tidal Wave) here are some good books on the subject. The 2 best in my opinion are Ploesti" by Dugan and Stewart and "Burning Hitler's Black Gold" by Robert Sternfels (pilot of The Sandman) and Frank Way. "Burning Hitler's Black Gold" is a bit rare and pricey when you can find it. I got lucky and was able to pick up a signed copy for $49.00.

books 001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

John, this one slipped past me, absolutely beautiful, congrats. This had made me think about four engined planes are good size at this scale......hmmmmm

Thanks Phil. I have about decided 1/72 is the best way to go with 4 engine a/c although 1/48 is a fairly close 2nd. 1/48 is best for twins I think. Depends on the subject. :)

• Like 2

• JohnB changed the title to B-24D Sandman completed
  • 1 year later...

Greetings

That is a beautiful build. My father, Frank Just, was radio operator and gunner on the Sandman for the Ploiesti mission. He is long gone now but I am sure he would appreciate the model. In the image of the flight crew he is on the bottom left.

Picture

Jeff asked why the Sandman. Well probably because it is the most famous of the B24's due to the photos taken of it coming out of the smoke bank during the Ploiesti raid. The photo is one of the most iconic of WWII.

Frank made it through WWII and led a pretty good life afterwards. He spent 20 years in the Air Force. He got out of the service after the war but re-upped into the Air Force after finding life in Cleveland boring. I have his Distinguished Flying Cross and some other memorabilia from his WWII days.

Thanks for building this model.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 4/21/2022 at 11:10 AM, justbob said:

Greetings

That is a beautiful build. My father, Frank Just, was radio operator and gunner on the Sandman for the Ploiesti mission. He is long gone now but I am sure he would appreciate the model. In the image of the flight crew he is on the bottom left.

Picture

Jeff asked why the Sandman. Well probably because it is the most famous of the B24's due to the photos taken of it coming out of the smoke bank during the Ploiesti raid. The photo is one of the most iconic of WWII.

Frank made it through WWII and led a pretty good life afterwards. He spent 20 years in the Air Force. He got out of the service after the war but re-upped into the Air Force after finding life in Cleveland boring. I have his Distinguished Flying Cross and some other memorabilia from his WWII days.

Thanks for building this model.

Thank you Bob. There's some real history there. I'm pleased that you like the model and I hope it does your father's memory justice. 😀

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Way to go ... completely agree and we're on the same page.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! :) Glad you are back with us!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks John

So glad myself and tickled pink almost all the reno work is done and over with.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

I know y'all are happy!!!:)

• Haha 1