The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

B-24D Sandman completed

JohnB

First step is paint the interior parts. I don't plan to do any detailing on the insides. It's not that big a model and most won't be very visible anyway. My main thing on this one is the exterior which I plan to devote plenty of time on. Should look great with weathering, etc. Here are a couple of pics of the real a/c.

8-2-20 001.jpg

Sandman 3.jpg

Sandman 4.jpg

• Like 7

Excuse my ignorance, John , but is there a particular significance to the bird, it self? I do really like the subject matter, I am just curious, as the Polesti raid is one that isn't modeled a lot, hugely significant raid, just not a lot of recognition, ................ just curious, and I will be following along.... very interesting project....

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 11:17 AM, Jeff said:

Excuse my ignorance, John , but is there a particular significance to the bird, it self? I do really like the subject matter, I am just curious, as the Polesti raid is one that isn't modeled a lot, hugely significant raid, just not a lot of recognition, ................ just curious, and I will be following along.... very interesting project....

Sandman didn't have any particular significance Jeff except for the fact she came through the raid nearly untouched. I just like the a/c. I had initially thought I might do "Brewery Wagon" but finally decided on "Sandman" as she was in sand/neutral gray, etc. "Brewery Wagon" was OD/neutral gray.

My interest in the Tidalwave a/c was tweaked after re-reading "Ploesti" by Dugan and Stewart plus the availability of the nice Pyn-Up decals with excellent associated research. Pricey but worth it.

Just as a aside here, I was looking at the HB kit box art and noted it was of "Wongo-Wongo" which never made it across the Adriatic to Ploesti. Somebody's wishful thinking I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nearly ready to join the fuselage halves. Hopefully I have added enough weight to keep the nose down. (As you can see, after installing the clear windows I overlaid them with clear tape to keep them in place when I mask them for painting the exterior. That way I don't risk any of them coming loose and falling into the fuselage, etc.) I'm not adding anything extra to the interior except for a decal instrument panel taken from my decal stash.

8-11-20 001.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

Off to a great start, John! I wish someone would print those Sandman decals in 1/32... BTW what brand of paints will you be using for the exterior?

Sandman sure would look nice in 1/32! They aren't yet available in 1/48 either, at least not from Pyn-Up decals. I had inquired with Dave Klaus, the fella behind Pyn-Up and he tells me he's waiting for his decal printers to make them but, due to the covid 19 problem, it will likely be the end of the year before they are available. If they were available now I had intended to do Sandman in that scale using the Monogram/Promodeler "D" kit. (I still might do this 1/72 kit as a different Tidal Wave a/c and wait for the 1/48 decals to do Sandman.)

As a aside here, I have bought a book named "Burning Hitler's Black Gold" which was written by Sternfels the pilot of Sandman. It hasn't arrived yet but I am eagerly anticipating it. It's a bit rare and pricey but I managed to get one at a fairly reasonable price which is signed by Sternfels. 

Another aside is a DVD I've ordered titled "The search for Sandman". It appears that a/c went missing later on and no one really knows much about it. Should be interesting.

I have several "shades" of desert sand paints by Model Master, Xtracolor, Floquil and the old Precision brand plus some I mixed myself. I haven't yet decided on which one or one's I'll use but I do expect to use Model Master Neutral Gray for the undersides. :)

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

It already looks so much better , than it's 1/32 scale brother. :)  

Thanks! It's too bad the big 'un just isn't up to snuff without some fixes and after market goodies. I wouldn't buy one for that reason plus too big and too costly. ;)

• Like 3

The Sandman is all done. The kit is the old Academy/Minicraft kit that had been on my shelf for YEARS. I used Xtracolor Gulf War Desert Sand for the topsides and MM Dk. Gull Gray for the undersides. Decals are Pyn-Up from his B-24's of Tidal Wave sheet. This is my 1st 1/72 build in quite a long while but won't be my last. I'm considering another 1/72 Tidal Wave a/c in the near future using the Hasegawa kit. I hope y'all like the results of my efforts! (NO after market stuff used.)

8-30-20 003.jpg

8-30-20 002.jpg

8-30-20 001.jpg

8-30-20 004.jpg

8-30-20 005.jpg

• Like 10

Beautiful.................. I always wonder what the real aircrew would think about the attention to detail we model guys go to replicate their rides so accurately...... I be they would be excited and proud to see such accurate replicas..... gorgeous as always , John................

• Like 3