The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bachem Ba 349V 'Natter'

Very cool, mate! Glad to see you diggin´ it.

Let me ask you something.

If you seal all this with a layer of clear, in order to make the grain pop and to do a pin wash with dark brown and brown, that wouldn´t be for your liking, right?

Or is that just too much anticipating?

Stupid question maybe...sry mate. ;)

Its really good. It is.

bachem.jpg

• Administrators

Hi Alex,

I sure will. I'm going to hand brush a couple of very light coats, of 50:50 Klear/water, just so it imparts a sheen and lete me add some wash. Should look real good. B)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

It's been a while since I updated here, but you know what it's like. Too much time with much laughter, and enjoying life with fantastic friends ;)

Anyway, I've been preparing the Natter for its false plumes by following Uschi's pre-decal paint regime, and despite it taking a day with each of the layers, it's now finally ready to receive the decals.

With the fuselage finally buttoned up, I replaced any lost panel line detail with my Mr Hobby scriber and infinite lengths of Dymo Tape. The kit itself didn't have anywhere near enough panel lines to represent the number of wooden panels that the Natter had. Under the regular paintwork, there were far more panels, many of where puttied. All timber was also glued and nailed. I intend to add HGW wood nail decals after the Uschi wood grain decals are added.

DSC01913.jpg

DSC01917.jpg

DSC01918.jpg

I removed the pips on the wing roots that aligned the wings to the fuselage. I drilled their positions instead with a drill bit that matched the holes I drilled in the fuselage wing root. This was the same diameter as a cocktail stick. I intended to use one of these for the wing spar. A little real timber to supplement the plastic.

Next up, the various assemblies were airbrushed in Gunze 'Flesh' before being heavily pre-shaded in black. Next up was a coat of heavily diluted Flesh. This was to help balance out the base coat and pre-shade.

After leaving for 24hrs to dry, Gunze Radome was used to highlight the panel centres, before a balancing coat of heavily thinned Radome helped to balance things out again.

If that wasn't enough, Radome was then mixed 50:50 with white, before the same process was repeated.

To break things up a little, a few panels were lightly shaded with the original Flesh, again, heavily thinned.

I will be using both a mix of pale and rich wood grain decal, but those Flesh tinted panels will help to break things up further. It looks like shit at the moment, but I promise it will come good. I did a couple of decal tests to see how it looked ;)

DSC01923.jpg

DSC01928.jpg

DSC01951.jpg

DSC01953.jpg

DSC01954.jpg

I can see why you sounded so enthused by this now! Amazing Jim, just amazing. All that preparation makes the wood-grain "Pop". Who'd have thought Tamiya Flesh?? Only Alex :).

• Administrators

Two updates in a number of days? Not like me!

Ok, I know Uschi says that if you lower the tack on masking tape, then you can take a tape profile of the panel you are decaling, then transfer direct to the decal. My experiences have been poor of that as I tend to lift the decal from the sheet.

My way of doing this, which is a little more time intensive, is to mark out the panel on the model, using making tape, then I peel this off and stick to very thin card. A good quality cereal box is what I use.

I then take the card template, place it on the decal sheet and trace around it with a fresh scalpel.

This is a test piece I did for the Natter. I actually removed/destroyed this afterwards as my intention is to produce all panels as decal parts before I apply them in one session. The reason for that is that I don't want to risk lifting any parts that are stuck down. That would make a serious mess. Anyway......here you go.

DSC01956.jpg

DSC01960.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

DSC01964.jpg

• Like 4

• Administrators

Adorning this with wooden plumes is certainly plenty of work these days, but well worth the effort!

There might seem like lots of panels to create, but equivalent, I reckon I can get from a single sheet or so for the fuselage. Yes, it is enough.

I'll pour a little Yamazaki whiskey this weekend and do the business!

• Administrators

I've been decaling all weekend.

There is a pile of used decal paper which is mountainous, right next to the rows of empty drink cans that have sustained me. Here are the results of the work so far, just before I started to add wood nail decals....

I've also used dual layers of wood grain decal on the control surfaces to create a distinction. Not particularly authentic, but serves the purpose of this project.

DSC01966.jpg

DSC01967.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

DSC01971.jpg

1002080_429162313857580_593709986_n.jpg

1045232_429162057190939_473816330_n.jpg

1180_429162253857586_71649473_n.jpg

1053159_486779534736698_978391205_o.jpg

• Like 2

Man, man, man...thats looking so dope, man....

THAT is what should be done with it, beating the crap outta this decals! :D

No, seriously. That is exactly what the stuff is supposed to deliver. I´m really

happy to see you doin´ so well with it.

Thats what my secret wishes were, seeing others creating such a highly professional result.

It looks phantastic, especially together with the nice interiour detail.

You know, when a SBS picture sequence has reached that level, you know nothing can go wrong anymore.

It only can get better and better. The more detail comes in now, the more beautiful it gonna be.

I like the double-layer technique. Thats really effective and brand new to me.

Great, great job my friend.

Great job indeed! :unworthy: