The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Eduard and 1/32?

Guest styrenedemon

Guest styrenedemon

It just occurred to me that Eduard hasn't done anything but the 109s in this scale. This is a little puzzling to me considering the trend toward that scale. I would love to see some 190s. Yeah, their 48th offerings are a little tough, but they are workable. (Aren't the Hasegawa 190s so-so?). Any ideas if we will see more from them in 32nd? They are working on the G 109s right? I sure as heck hope they pop those in 32nd!

I was talking to one of the Eduard Staff the other week (on Holiday in NZ) and they have no plans for anything 32nd at the moment... Their 32nd Mk.IX Spitfire that they were working a few years was shelved because of Tamiyas release, and its been rescaled to the 48th kit that's now released.

They did say that they were going to do the 109 family... from what I was told its on hold

Guest styrenedemon

sigh....I guess they have their reasons, but it seems odd since there is an obvious growth in 32nd scale interest. Maybe they are a little gun shy by Tamiya beating them to the punch with the Spit. I do love the Tamiya 32nd stuff, but its understandable that putting out such high quality takes Tamiya the kind of time it does. I think some more modest 1/32 pops by Eduard would be perfectly logical. 

Been discussed a lot before by us here actually (the staff that is)

Basically, 1/32 is where the big boys play: the standards for accuracy are much higher than in 1/48, especially for iconic subjects such as the 109, P-51' Spitfire etc

Eduard were a little miffed when their 109 did not get the plaudits they thought it deserved (it is ok, but far from great, and the DML kit is a lot better in my own view), hence the retreat from 1/32 as I see it

On the flip side, why not go for the "low hanging fruit"?? (a ghastly business bs term, but fair enough in this context)

1/48 is massive, and very lucrative, so good luck to them

I only wish that they would bring out some of their 1/48 accessories in 1/32 eg the drop tank for the Spitfire came out in a flash, whereas I have been waiting for one of those in 1/32 since the release of Tamiya's über-kit :(

I would be happy if Eduard released some of those Brassin set in 32nd that they have only released in 48th...

I will second that Drop Tank, Nick... but I do recall Derek saying that he was looking at it, but thats a couple of years ago now

Guest styrenedemon

Yeah...I've noticed they don't seem to do very much in the way of 32nd Brassin either. Of the limited resin I've dealt with to this point their stuff is probably my favorite. The complete sets they do to go along with their 48 stuff would be really nice in 32nd. Again though, they only seem to focus on accessorizing their kits. Is there any Brassin cockpit sets for a non Eduard kit? 

Clearly though, they are around the forums and knew what they were getting into jumping into 1/32 scale with a 109. I have seen lots of their 1/32 109's built up and looking great on all the forums. Not knowing Tamiya, or ZM's next move would make it tough to pick a subject , but I would like too see someone take a stab at doing a Hellcat in 1/32 again....

Guest styrenedemon

Clearly though, they are around the forums and knew what they were getting into jumping into 1/32 scale with a 109. I have seen lots of their 1/32 109's built up and looking great on all the forums. Not knowing Tamiya, or ZM's next move would make it tough to pick a subject , but I would like too see someone take a stab at doing a Hellcat in 1/32 again....

Yup...Hellcat is what I was thinking myself. Their 48th 'cat is really nice. Tamiya is so slow I don't think it's feasible to worry about them too much. 

Basically, 1/32 is where the big boys play: the standards for accuracy are much higher than in 1/48, especially for iconic subjects such as the 109, P-51' Spitfire etc

Eduard were a little miffed when their 109 did not get the plaudits they thought it deserved (it is ok, but far from great, and the DML kit is a lot better in my own view), hence the retreat from 1/32 as I see it

That could very well be the case, but look at Trumpeter. They hemorrhage 32nd kits, and most all of them get canned on the forums. But they still churn them out because they are obviously selling. So either they aren't that great, but we are willing to buy them and fix, hop-up, and modify them, or people just like to hypocritically bash them. Given this, I have a hard time seeing the logic in ignoring the whole 32nd market because your first venture into it was canned.

Not saying you are at all wrong in your analysis; this is just how I see it. 

• Members

Been discussed a lot before by us here actually (the staff that is)

On the flip side, why not go for the "low hanging fruit"?? (a ghastly business bs term, but fair enough in this context)

1/48 is massive, and very lucrative, so good luck to them

I only wish that they would bring out some of their 1/48 accessories in 1/32 eg the drop tank for the Spitfire came out in a flash, whereas I have been waiting for one of those in 1/32 since the release of Tamiya's über-kit :(

I like the Eduard 109E although I know it does have a some warts.  I think for the most part it was well received, of course the usual crew at HS jumped in with their typical hysteria and and rhetoric.  Note to manufacturer's, if you're looking for rational feedback on your products there are better places!  I'm little baffled by Eduard's reaction, Dragon got crucified on their P-51, did their homework (with some assistance from Jerry Crandall and Mark Proulx) and gave us a beautiful Bf 110.

The market for large scale 109's is still fertile territory.  The Emil was close, the rivets were wonderfully restrained and they had a lot of nice detail.  Go back and correct a couple of minor issues and give us an F,G and K and you'll have some happy modelers and a license to print money.

• Like 1

Guest styrenedemon

Me thinks ZM's next 1/32 will be a FW190.

On edge of my seat for 1/32 Tamiya Jug and cannot wait to get my hands on their F4U.

Hope you're right about the Jug and 190!

I like the Eduard 109E although I know it does have a some warts.  I think for the most part it was well received, of course the usual crew at HS jumped in with their typical hysteria and and rhetoric.  Note to manufacturer's, if you're looking for rational feedback on your products there are better places!  I'm little baffled by Eduard's reaction, Dragon got crucified on their P-51, did their homework (with some assistance from Jerry Crandall and Mark Proulx) and gave us a beautiful Bf 110.

The market for large scale 109's is still fertile territory.  The Emil was close, the rivets were wonderfully restrained and they had a lot of nice detail.  Go back and correct a couple of minor issues and give us an F,G and K and you'll have some happy modelers and a license to print money.

Some people make complaining about new kits their main hobby and actually building them secondary. If manufactures stopped making stuff because they get slammed we'd only have Tamiya, and yeah, their stuff is at the top of the pyramid. However, I'd much prefer 100 subject options at Eduard 109 level than 3 at Tamiya level. I don't know what "warts" that kit has, and it doesn't mean that much to me either. As long as I can get some nice level of detail I'm happy. It doesn't need to be 100% correct.

As much as I see the argument by those that taut how important complete accuracy is to them, I've yet to understand it. You're not going to get hammered in judging because of a kit's inaccuracies. Even if you were putting the finished project in the freaking Smithsonian most of the people that see it wouldn't know the difference. I'm convinced the accuracy craze is a new phenomenon created by forums. Online everyone had a Ph.D. in 109ology so some people who choose to build them feel like they are going to get thrown out if they don't do one correctly. But, as I've always said when this topic comes up, everyone should be free to do their hobby how they see fit. If you want to stress over those things by all means do. I just don't care to. :D

To ramble OT, yes I do understand that Fw190 (A...or F?, not D) is next from Z-m

Also watch for a 109E or Hurricane from Tamiya - they measured one of these two (maybe both) when doing Corsair research at the museum in Canada they go to, but the guy who works with them (Bob Swaddling, on HS) wouldn't say which

Remember that! ;)

Guest styrenedemon

To ramble OT, yes I do understand that Fw190 (A...or F?, not D) is next from Z-m

Also watch for a 109E or Hurricane from Tamiya - they measured one of these two (maybe both) when doing Corsair research at the museum in Canada they go to, but the guy who works with them (Bob Swaddling, on HS) wouldn't say which

Remember that! ;)

Please let ZM 190 be an A or F. I much prefer them to the Doras. 

My money would be on the Hurricane for a 48th release. I would say there wouldn't be a market for another Emil in 32nd, but if they did do one all the others out there would end up in bargain bins. I just really think the next logical 32nd release from them is a Jug. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Fyi i am talking about 1/32, not 1/48, so...

re Tamiya, well I'm just telling you what two other aircraft they measured, and every one they have measured they have made.

Also, applying logic to Tamiya-san's thought processes is well, as Mr Spock would say, "not logical"

;)

Remember that! ;)

Nick... You are correct there ;)

Guest styrenedemon

And they've also gone 32nd 48th 32nd 48th in recent years with new releases....so....

Besides, they were there it'd be foolish not to measure some other stuff just for giggles. I'd be willing to bet large chunks of money that neither of those will be the next 32nd release. In fact, I'm convinced they measured those just as the ultimate troll. They are probably sitting back at Tamiya headquarters having a good laugh browsing the forums and working on a 32nd Yak-3.

Personally, I'd love to see a really decent FW190-A - purely personal, I think it's the most "attractive" of the variants.  

Don't much care who makes it really but Dragon would be an ideal company to do it - price and build wise (if they apply the standards of the 109 to it).

Guest styrenedemon

Hadn't even considered a jet. Heck they are no stranger to fast movers in 32nd. The Viper is supposed to be excellent. I had all the F-4s and built the E. It was a decent kit OOB, but not near the level their subsequent WW2 stuff has been, but still very viable with all the AM out there. I just wish there were more decal options.

A Mig-15...absolutely. I'd love one for them...or anyone. But in a dreamers world, if I could pick the jet they'd go after it'd be the -21.

I'd kinda want them to go with a jet. The world could use a truly epic Mig-15.

What would be awesome and make alot of sense(to me anyways) Is to rebox either the F-4 or the F-16C T-Bird. I think either a British Phantom, a F-4G. or an R-F4 of any flavor would do great and they could do an Agressor or a National Guard F-16 with the T-birds kit and just a couple sprues from the CJ kit. A Gulf War F-4G would make me very happy.....

Guest styrenedemon

Well if we're dreaming I'd pick the Sabre. Not as many awesome schemes to pick from as the MiGs, but it'd probably sell better.

The -21...the Trumpeter kit isn't terrible, but it could also be knocked off its perch as the best 1/32 -21 by a stiff breeze.

The Trumpy/Hobbycraft -15 and -17 are far cruder.

I keep hoping Trumpeter/Hobby Boss will revisit them with the same good graces they gave the Thunderjet. 

COMPLETELY forgot about the Sabre. Yeah, I think I'd probably make that my first hope. I really love that airplane, and it's royally underrepresented across the board. I think it's much less a long shot to see all of these from Trumpeter though, and that's not all that bad I don't suppose. They seem to pop kits out like none other. 

What would be awesome and make alot of sense(to me anyways) Is to rebox either the F-4 or the F-16C T-Bird. I think either a British Phantom, a F-4G. or an R-F4 of any flavor would do great and they could do an Agressor or a National Guard F-16 with the T-birds kit and just a couple sprues from the CJ kit. A Gulf War F-4G would make me very happy.....

The CJ F-16 will be enough for me when I pop back around to building jets probably, but I'd have to think long and hard about not trading a limb for a F-4G. I absolutely love SEAD aircraft. I have no idea why a G didn't follow the E since it wouldn't have taken much more. But heck, I can say the same about their lack of more Spit variants. I just don't think they really operate on the same logic we think they should.

The current trend (with their 32nd offerings) completely supports the theory that they are looking to make what will be absolutely the most popular....sadly...I don't think a G fits the bill :(

Well if we're dreaming I'd pick the Sabre. Not as many awesome schemes to pick from as the MiGs, but it'd probably sell better.

If we're talking jets then I agree with you re a Sabre - and the MiG-15. Strange that the only one out there (in 1:32nd) is the appalling Trumpeter one.  

So far as the Sabre is concerned, it's yet another well known aircraft that hasn't been done "properly" and, being an American bird with a fair number of marking options (albeit limited in "colour"), the market should be very good for whoever manufactures one.

As I struggle to stay awake whilst te subject turns to jets (sorry), I find it an interesting assertion that the Sabre would outsell the MiG...

In the USA perhaps, but in Europe?

I wouldn't be so sure...

Everyone knows MiGs, even if they don't know which one they know, if you see what i mean; not sure the same can be said about the Sabre here in Europe.

Personally, I quite like the F-86's lines, and remember making one in teeny weeny weeny 1/72 when I was like 6 years old!

• Members

Hope you're right about the Jug and 190!

Some people make complaining about new kits their main hobby and actually building them secondary. If manufactures stopped making stuff because they get slammed we'd only have Tamiya, and yeah, their stuff is at the top of the pyramid. However, I'd much prefer 100 subject options at Eduard 109 level than 3 at Tamiya level. I don't know what "warts" that kit has, and it doesn't mean that much to me either. As long as I can get some nice level of detail I'm happy. It doesn't need to be 100% correct.

As much as I see the argument by those that taut how important complete accuracy is to them, I've yet to understand it. You're not going to get hammered in judging because of a kit's inaccuracies. Even if you were putting the finished project in the freaking Smithsonian most of the people that see it wouldn't know the difference. I'm convinced the accuracy craze is a new phenomenon created by forums. Online everyone had a Ph.D. in 109ology so some people who choose to build them feel like they are going to get thrown out if they don't do one correctly. But, as I've always said when this topic comes up, everyone should be free to do their hobby how they see fit. If you want to stress over those things by all means do. I just don't care to. :D

Just a couple of minor issues (they may be a few more but these are the significant ones as I see it):

1.  The main wheels on the early releases were not good, to Eduard's credit later boxings corrected this, same with the canopy problem on the E-4.

2.  Tail wheel is ugly, no resemblance at all to the real thing.

3.  Slight bulge in fuselage just aft of cockpit.  Not real noticable, especially after it's painted though.

One and two are easily corrected though and considering you can pick these up in $20-$30 range on sale they're a great value, especially the Profipack boxings.  I've built two and have five more in the stash.

• Like 1