The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have just heard that the E and F models are to be released around march of next year.The nose is supposed to be in multiple sections to accomadate the various versions.I will wait for the F model.Just thought I would let everybody know.

Thank you. That is the best news I've heard. I too am waiting for the F model. The E model would be cool too, but the F model will be sweet, especially an early F model WITHOUT the navigator's astrodome. 

From what I understand in the conversation the nose will be offered with a panel that includes the four windows across the top for the E and early F model.That will also make it so much easier to fix the nose correctly right at the windscreen. If you could see what I see every day it would scream at you.

I wish I could see what you see every day. That must be something restoring a B-17. I would help restore a WW II aircraft for free if I could.

So, if the conversion panel for the B-17F will have the four windows across the top, would it be safe to assume then that there will be a panel that has the astrodome that was on later model F's?

Yes, would be my guess. I am now working on the cockpit enclosure. I also found out that the astrodome assy that was retrofitted to early F models is different from production versions but not by much. A friend of mine is rebuilding a 17 called lucky13 from the 384th that has the mod. Oh and yes we are insane.

Yes, would be my guess. I am now working on the cockpit enclosure. I also found out that the astrodome assy that was retrofitted to early F models is different from production versions but not by much. A friend of mine is rebuilding a 17 called lucky13 from the 384th that has the mod. Oh and yes we are insane.

Do you know why they retrofitted the astrodome on early F models? What exactly is the cockpit enclosure you are working on now? I take it then your friend is rebuilding an F model? I wouldn't call you insane, just passionate about what you are doing. Too bad you're not in San Antonio, that would be awesome helping you.

They modded some aircraft while others were left alone.I guess it could have been how long they were in service.F models served in combat units up till march of 44 which at that time they were withdrawn.Sooner or later they were lost in crackups or combat with a good number making it back to training units.The real Memphis belle made it back to a training unit as did hells angels and knockout dropper to name a few.I believe they served as gunnery trainers or at least the belle did.There are post war pics of hells angels with no turrets which leads me to think she was used in pilot training.

I don't get why the modified some and not others.  Yeah, the F model stayed in service for quite awhile. It's a shame that some of these did not survive post war and were scrapped. At least the Memphis Belle survived. With HK Models releasing an F model, I'm hoping someone does a lot of decals like Zotz did in 1/48 for a lot of F models. That is why I have the Revell 1/48 B-17F, three of them. 

What are you talking about when you mentioned fixing the nose right at the windscreen? 

Do you have Steve Birdsall's book, Pride of Seattle? It is all about the first 600 Boeing B-17F's. Awesome book and great photos.

I know Steve and we converse over at aerovintage about SWP B-17s early in the war. The man knows his topic better than any other. The nose at the windscreen on the model is perfectly round and that is not the case on the real bird.It is flattened out significantly between the upper longerons. The top of the nose flattens out from station 2(astrodome location) to the windscreen. When you get the model you will notice how scrunched the windscreen looks. Thats because the fuselage is round at sta3 and not flat. Look at your 48 scale bird and compare the two. Friends of mine explained to the company making the molds but they didn't care or were too far into the molds to change it. Its a shame because all they had to do was ask and my friends would have helped them in any way possible to ensure the model turned out the very best. Just the way monogram did back in the 70s.BTW I think Pride of Seattle is about the first 300 F models IIRC.

You are right. Birdsall's book was on the first 300 B-17F's. I was at work and was going off the top of my head. Pride of Seattle is one of the best books I've ever owned. I have talked to Steve a few times on another forum and the man is tops when it comes to the B-17. His knowledge of the subject is unsurpassed. I also love the B-17 operations in the Southwest Pacific. Fortress Against the Sun is another amazing book that covers the B-17 operations in the Pacific. That is a shame about the fuselage not being flattened. I wonder why the company never didn't care especially since this is the first 1/32 B-17 and you would think they would have wanted to get it right. I'm guessing Monogram's B-17G and Revells B-17F got this right? Do you think the B-17F coming out will have addressed this issue? In any case, I still plan on getting one as I could do an E model. I would like to get two and do an E & F model. 

I doubt they will change it but maybe one of the aftermarket guys will address the issue.The 48 scale birds got it right.I will wait on the F model and I already have an idea for the fix.The other issue is that the fuselage may not have the upward sweep from frame 6(ball turret bulkhead.The fix for that will require cutting the fuselage and adding the upward angle for the back half.

• 3 weeks later...